Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: AI backing off from 100% sure kill  (Read 10340 times)

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
AI backing off from 100% sure kill
« on: April 12, 2021, 09:18:12 PM »

Like in the title AI backing off from 100% kill.
1 on 1 situation, advantage of speed reckless/aggressive officer. Flux advantage.
You name it.
Enemy close to getting overloaded and close to exploding.
Then your friendly AI back off.
I bet some of you seen it and not a one time.
I don't get it.
https://i.4cdn.org/vst/1618287060335.webm
How is this real? Just keep shooting.
For information the friendly destroyer lose this fight.
Tested few times both with reckless and aggressive officer and with some load outs changes. 
Aggressive officer always back off when AAF fade off and if reckless not kill in his initial charge he also back off(just so he can soon try to re attack it).

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: AI backing off from 100% sure kill
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 09:35:01 PM »

Wow, this video shows most clear-cut case of AI failure I've ever seen.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 09:43:17 PM »

https://imgur.com/a/qKNNpIA
Video mirrored because on 4chan, thread and images/videos they contain get pushed off the board by newer threads
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 10:00:30 PM »

Good use of AAF, bad use of torpedo/LRM finishers.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 10:08:26 PM »

I've seen stuff like this with ships using their mobility system to disengage at strange moments as well.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 11:29:49 PM »

Friendly AI didn't back off. Enemy did. While friendly was obsessed with its flanking maneuver.

Asherogar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 12:42:08 AM »

This is what I'm talked about, when I mentioned somewhere AI backing off from overloaded enemies instead of finishing them off. Wasn't able to recreate it, but it played out identically, but with overloaded enemy.

Satirical

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 02:29:52 AM »

This is what I'm talked about, when I mentioned somewhere AI backing off from overloaded enemies instead of finishing them off. Wasn't able to recreate it, but it played out identically, but with overloaded enemy.
maybe the ai is over calculating the destruction explosion radius (there used to be problems in earlier patches where ships would constantly take damage from shipsplosions)

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 02:38:49 AM »

I've seen this on Aggressive captains with Full assault On. I yell at my screen but the captain won't listen to me.

maybe the ai is over calculating the destruction explosion radius (there used to be problems in earlier patches where ships would constantly take damage from shipsplosions)
Oh, I think you might be on to something with that.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 02:40:27 AM by Locklave »

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 03:31:15 AM »

I remember Alex saying a while ago there is a bug in the AI that prioritized avoiding enemy fire over getting in minimum weapon range for steady officers. So if I'm right the AI reluctance is a glitch. Forgive me if I'm wrong there

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 03:46:24 AM »

Have an eliminate command been assigned? If not, the AI tend more to suppress the enemy target till they have to back off, if engage is assigned, AI seems to consider ramming an enemy till it have to retreat as clear if there is no allies presence to cover its back.

However I think AI should blow the enemy up directly in most likely kills as well.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 04:35:42 PM by Fenrir »
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 03:50:35 AM »

I remember Alex saying a while ago there is a bug in the AI that prioritized avoiding enemy fire over getting in minimum weapon range for steady officers. So if I'm right the AI reluctance is a glitch. Forgive me if I'm wrong there
But this is with a Reckless officer
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Flet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 03:54:25 AM »

This looks like the enemy ai maneuvering away rather than the attacking ai intentionally retreating.

A human would have intentionally pushed in aggressively when a kill was imminant to not miss the oportunity since its not like you can overextend in a situation you are about to win. But AI might not realize this. If thats the case some kind of temporary super-aggression that lasts for a couple seconds when a target the ai is fighting is near death could be implemented. This could be something like having the ai want to stay within 70% of its weapon range instead of just inside it.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 03:54:53 AM »

But there is nothing to prioritize here. Attacker has already paid the armor cost of winning the engagement. All that is left is to keep firing a second or two more at enemy that can't defend themselves.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 04:07:09 AM »

This is a SO Hammerhead against a non-SO Hammerhead. The defending ship doesn't have the speed to retreat. It is 100% the attacker's faulty AI.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5