Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 3 S-mod, Overridden Scarab&Hyperion are a mood.  (Read 8051 times)

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
Re: 3 S-mod, Overdriven Scarab is a mood.
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 04:52:39 AM »

front shields would be a much better choice, doing the same as the 3 shield mods you use.

Hyperion already has front shields sadly, so I'm "forced" to use Extended shields to get 360 coverage and Stabilized shields to reduce the shield flux to 150. Accellerated Shields is also a must since in order to use Phase teleporter the ship needs to take shields down before using it and raising them up when it's at point blank distance from the enemy. You can guess how wrong that can go if the enemy has either type of Lance on him.
Edit: Grammar
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:38:40 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 3 S-mod, Overdriven Scarab&Hyperion are a mood.
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 05:05:17 AM »

ups. you are right of course.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 3 S-mod, Overdriven Scarab&Hyperion are a mood.
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 05:12:03 AM »

ups. you are right of course.

I am right out of failing with setting the ship up for around 10 minutes, so don't feel bad about it  :P
I also updated the Original Post to include the Hyperion (and its two setups, the first being effective against capital ships with omni shields and the second one being a brutal, generalist build to obliterate everything BUT capital ships with omni shields.

Edit: The second version with 2x Heavy blaster and Ion Pulser apparently kills the Sim Paragon more efficiently due to sticking with it indefinetly and only firing at low flux, eventually driving it against a flux wall and killing it. I'd expect the first variant to fare against a real Paragon with Shield Modulation a lot better.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:26:33 AM by Arcagnello »

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 3 S-mod, Overdriven Scarab is a mood.
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 05:34:16 AM »

front shields would be a much better choice, doing the same as the 3 shield mods you use.
It can't. The Hyperion-class is a front shield hull.

Low Settings

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: 3 S-mod, Overridden Scarab&Hyperion are a mood.
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 06:00:57 AM »

"Eurobeat" name checks out

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 06:10:20 AM »

"Eurobeat" name checks out

I'm a lot prouder about the "K-kansei Dorifto?!" but they pretty much are from the same meme moment in the anime "Initial-D Legend".

For anyone wondering what the everloving Ludd we're talking about:

Edit: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru" for the Hyperion is also a classic, everyone better know where it comes from!

I pity anyone not old enough to not have grown with these playing on the TV as a kid.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 06:13:55 AM by Arcagnello »

KG28282

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 04:06:56 PM »

I love this thread because I see so much disparaging of Hyperions, and they quickly became my favorite ship in the game. I only started playing with 0.95, so I missed the older ship version, and whatever other buffs/nerfs it has had.

This is my fourth playthrough and my first with Nexerelin. I wanted to try a frigate-heavy run since I haven't made use of Wolfpack Tactics yet, so I was happy to see the "super ship" start. Then I got lucky picking up a second Hyperion for a story point, and a couple Scarabs early on. I'm only 9 cycles in and I'd love to grab a couple Tempests and see if I can drop the Mora and Omen, which are mostly there to help with PD since the AI gets scared easy by fighters and missiles. I don't do any piloting personally but even 100% AI, this fleet has been roflstomping most things, including medium (Radiantless) Remnant fleets.

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 04:45:30 PM »

I'm only 9 cycles in and I'd love to grab a couple Tempests and see if I can drop the Mora and Omen, which are mostly there to help with PD since the AI gets scared easy by fighters and missiles.

Tiny blue ships go wooosh.
Tempests might not be particularly good for PD (though their drones help a bit), omens are usually the best PD frigate, given hardened shields they tend to be very resistant
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 05:30:34 PM »

It's a joy to see other people enamored with the Scarab. It's such a brutally effective killer with Safety Overrides and three Antimatter Blasters.

Man, I am dreading to think about what balance changes Alex is gonna roll out in the upcoming 0.95 hotfix.I guess SO had it coming, way too many meme threads on my part :P

I love this thread because I see so much disparaging of Hyperions, and they quickly became my favorite ship in the game. I only started playing with 0.95, so I missed the older ship version, and whatever other buffs/nerfs it has had.

This is my fourth playthrough and my first with Nexerelin. I wanted to try a frigate-heavy run since I haven't made use of Wolfpack Tactics yet, so I was happy to see the "super ship" start. Then I got lucky picking up a second Hyperion for a story point, and a couple Scarabs early on. I'm only 9 cycles in and I'd love to grab a couple Tempests and see if I can drop the Mora and Omen, which are mostly there to help with PD since the AI gets scared easy by fighters and missiles. I don't do any piloting personally but even 100% AI, this fleet has been roflstomping most things, including medium (Radiantless) Remnant fleets.

Spoiler
[close]

Edit: Welcome to the forum by the way :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 05:36:14 PM by Arcagnello »

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2021, 01:59:40 AM »

I honestly don't think SO needs to be nerfed too badly, the PPT hit is pretty severe from what I can see. As in I've got a fleet of Tempests and Omens lead by a Doom, all specced for maximum PPT (that Doom has like 904 PPT or something ridiculous like that), and I do run out of PPT during longer fights. In one instance I had to order a full retreat and re-engage twice before there were no more enemy combat ships left.

...Well, okay, that one instance was against like nine pirate fleets at once, +380% bonus xp, but still. I don't know if an SO-focussed fleet could have lasted long enough in that fight.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2021, 02:44:48 AM »

I honestly don't think SO needs to be nerfed too badly, the PPT hit is pretty severe from what I can see. As in I've got a fleet of Tempests and Omens lead by a Doom, all specced for maximum PPT (that Doom has like 904 PPT or something ridiculous like that), and I do run out of PPT during longer fights. In one instance I had to order a full retreat and re-engage twice before there were no more enemy combat ships left.

...Well, okay, that one instance was against like nine pirate fleets at once, +380% bonus xp, but still. I don't know if an SO-focussed fleet could have lasted long enough in that fight.

380% bonus XP, that's Story Point Stonks right there! Do you have a pic of how much Exp you gott?

I'll argue about SO being rebalanced instead of being nerfed. There have been many threads regarding the balance (or lack thereof) of Overriding ships with story points and the ones I liked the most have been the most "transformative":

-Differenciating the effect of Safety Overrides based on the ship's technology level, with low tech getting the full buffs and debuffs and high tech/[Redacted] getting milder buffs with reduced debuffs

-Having Safety Overrides take up two integrated hullmod slots instead of one considering it pretty much IS worth two hullmods, most of the time even three (especially on frigades)

-Giving ships safety overrides the chance to take hull damage after battle if they end up consuming all their Peak Performance Time and have degrading combat readiness, maybe even a chance to have d-mods inflicted upon them the longer they stay in battle with degrading combat readiness

Personally speaking, I would explore the possibility of doing another change: I would have Safety Overrides also increase the "CR per deployment cost" value by 25-50%, the logic behind that being the Overridden ship has gone under enormous stress during battle and needs extensive work to be immediately combat ready again after a deployment.

Example: My officered Scarabs have 94% Combat readiness, meaning they can deploy in one, two and even three successive engagements before they get under 41% Combat Readiness and would deploy with malfunctions.

The balancing mind behind this suggestion revolves around the main advantage of Safety Overrides: smashing things really fast. This also means that having enough Overridden ships in your fleet makes achieving the 100 Deployment Points of enemy losses in order to perform a "clean disengage" almost a walk in the park, as is retreating them off the battlefield.  It personally feels counterintuitive for a swarm of ships with their performance pushed to their limits (and beyond) to fight like hell, retreat before they litterally start breaking down due to stress of both ship and crew but then re-engage only having suffered the standard Combat readiness losses.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 02:47:49 AM by Arcagnello »

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 03:14:50 AM »

380% bonus XP, that's Story Point Stonks right there! Do you have a pic of how much Exp you gott?
The exp gain immediately got punted off the screen by waves of "[ship name] has been repaired" notifications, not very useful considering I don't think I had a single ship left above yellow CR (most were red), so didn't even get a chance to look at it. I did attempt to take some screenshots of the fight dialogue and the like, but unfortunately I hit Pause Break instead of Print Screenshot :'(. The only screenshot I managed to take, the next day, was of the system bounty I received: 1.250c per frigate, 342.500c paid out. I do recall getting 2 skill points and 6 story points off of that one fight, and that was without a full bonus xp bonus since I've been on a knife's edge with bonus xp for a while. Well, I was until I s-modded five Hardened Shields into frigates afterwards.

Increasing CR deployment cost would be an interesting change. It'd give SO ships a weakness that a clever captain might exploit beyond "fight them in a corona" - repeated engagements. I'll say that 380% pirate fleet is the first time I've had to order a retreat and re-engage like that, let stand twice in one fight, despite the fact that my most "fragile" frigates have the PPT of a base Falcon/Eagle.

Burvjradzite

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2021, 04:29:29 AM »

Friendship ended with templar, now scarab is my main frigate spam

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2021, 09:00:11 AM »

hm, i found tempest drones to be really effective at pd.
its a good ship but a bit squishy. without the forced frigate necessity 8 dp would be hard to justify against the medusa though. at 12 dp it gets about twice the fire power and its much less likely to die.
Pages: 1 [2]