Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: augmented field drive is very expensive for what it does  (Read 9544 times)

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: augmented field drive is very expensive for what it does
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 01:16:01 AM »

Being able to avoid combat entirely is also very powerful. Basically it asks you to make a choice.

yeah, but its not a very difficult choice now. a wee bit more upkeep vs gimping my capitals is a no brainer.
That's very much a matter of fleet size. When you're driving a bunch of battleships around then of course a tug is better but in a smaller fleet it becomes a relatively large drain and it's more feasible to s-mod the few ships you have.

Demetrious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 01:20:33 AM »

Being able to avoid combat entirely is also very powerful. Basically it asks you to make a choice.

yeah, but its not a very difficult choice now. a wee bit more upkeep vs gimping my capitals is a no brainer.

Uh... why would you ever put it on a capital ship? If you have capitals, you don't need to run. Yes. The logistics hullmod has little use on combat ships. This shouldn't come as a shock.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 01:29:53 AM »

If you're flying around with burn speed 7 ships and bring them up to 9 with ADF you've basically put Efficiency Overhaul on your entire fleet in terms of supplies spend travelling from point A to point B. Not to mention allowing you to avoid patrols or unwanted fights (without spending a SP and suffering hundreds of supplies in CR damage from being harried). Alternatively one can use tugs to make up the difference, but than you're draining even more supplies/fuel instead of saving supplies and your fleet will be visible from old Domain space (or draining even more SPs to s-mod the tugs in addition to your combat ships). Not to mention that the 30 ship limit can be pretty restrictive, so adding 2-4 tugs doesn't help.

ADF is expensive, to be sure, and a prime candidate for turning into an s-mod. But it's hardly expensive for what it does to your logistics profile.

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 01:45:42 AM »

yes. but the alternatives are not afd or burn 7, but afd or tugs.
its true they cost a few ship slots, but i dont find it a problem to have 4 tugs. we already covered this in any case. stealth is not viable anyhow with ships that have a burn speed of 7, the upkeep is neglible and 4 fleet slots are not an issue neither.
of course these all are considerations. but again, far less severe then putting a 40 op thing on my captitals. if you argue to get it "free" with s-mods, again: thats not free. it costs an s-mod slot. obviously with 40 op you are kind of forced to s-mod it if you want to use it, but that is precisely my point here.

aaaanyway. its one of the two most expensive hull mods. you will find it really hard to convince me its that op to justify costs that high.
im not saying to make it fee. but again, it seems rather expensive for what it does.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 01:51:19 AM by Rauschkind »

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2021, 01:52:22 AM »

Uh... why would you ever put it on a capital ship? If you have capitals, you don't need to run.
because its not so much about running but about not slowing the game down.
thats very close to what i am saying: its very expensive for what is mostly a convinience mod.  imo it should cost less then efficiency overhaul, because that mod is very useful if you want to fight a lot because it makes cr recovery faster.
afd has no combat related effect whatsoever. making it as expensive as heavy armor makes no sense to me.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 01:54:35 AM by Rauschkind »

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2021, 02:08:34 AM »

It's not overpriced for what it does, it can be the difference between getting caught and having to be forced into a very expensive, unwinnable fight (which there is a lot of atm)
Or - escaping without a scratch.

I install it on anything with less than burn 9 to keep the overall fleet burn rate at 18, it's so useful to be able to fly faster than anything else..

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2021, 02:15:03 AM »

tugs are to cheap then. for what they do they should use the upkeep of capitals. after all, they replace the most expensive hull mods on potentially every other ship in the fleet.

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2021, 03:07:11 AM »

It's not overpriced for what it does, it can be the difference between getting caught and having to be forced into a very expensive, unwinnable fight (which there is a lot of atm)
Or - escaping without a scratch.

I install it on anything with less than burn 9 to keep the overall fleet burn rate at 18, it's so useful to be able to fly faster than anything else..

Pretty much the same for me as well. ADF is something I put on a slower capital I find or loot (usually my first or second ones) and a system I put on occasionally when I take a more specific fleet composition somewhere and speed is of the essence. Tugs I only use for legitimate trade runs, where my visibility essentially doesn't matter, but honestly I'd just have a bit fewer flux vents and capacitors on my caps than this logistical nightmare. My main issue with it is its sensor profile, as I like to be able to hide my fleet when it is necessary. (Also the fleet slot it takes up.)

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2021, 05:47:17 AM »

I'd like to see Field Drive OP cost reduced to normal OP levels. Safety Overrides is cheaper. Why is Field drive the most expensive OP cost? Ya, it's good but come on.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2021, 06:17:35 AM »

Uh... why would you ever put it on a capital ship? If you have capitals, you don't need to run. Yes. The logistics hullmod has little use on combat ships. This shouldn't come as a shock.
Campaign QoL.  I want burn 20, and I do not want to clog my fleet slots with more than two tugs.  Two tugs are needed for a burn 8 fleet to reach burn 20.
 Anything with burn 6 or 7 gets Augmented Drive Field.

Pirate spam of previous releases seems to have been axed, so maybe maximum burn is less critical now.  No need to rush all over the place to put out a burning fire constantly.

And yes, topic title is so true.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2021, 06:34:38 AM »

If you have capitals, you don't need to run
Yes, And it means: you dont care about sensor profile.

You always care to have Burn 20, because the more speed you have, the more missions you will complete in the same time. Extra fuel Tug eats is nothing if you compare it to extra profit you get.

And since i use Paragon anyway, i ll use 4 Tugs. Putting ADF on Paragon is pretty "genius" idea, you know...
Spoiler
[close]

Flet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2021, 07:34:36 AM »

Id like a lower op +1 option as well (or a similar op +1 option that also does something extra)
Currently i build this into capitals and use 9 burn cruisers to reach 20 burn with nav.
I dont like tugs because it seems silly to me for warships to be towed everywhere they go.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2021, 07:40:22 AM »

I simply find it hard to spend warship OP on logistics. Augmented drive should be like solar shielding - a logistic mod with an in-combat effect bundled together. And it should probably give +1 burn instead - most heavy cruisers are 8, so boosting capitals from 7 to 9 is pointless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2021, 07:54:26 AM »

+1 at 40 OP would be even worse.

In the previous release, I have used to boost burn 8 ships to burn 10 early, when Loadout Design 3 was a thing.  (Sometimes, I put it on Apogee on solo runs as an exploration ship that had some capacity and could solo one-section bases and few frigates.)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2021, 08:21:13 AM »

I simply find it hard to spend warship OP on logistics. Augmented drive should be like solar shielding - a logistic mod with an in-combat effect bundled together. And it should probably give +1 burn instead - most heavy cruisers are 8, so boosting capitals from 7 to 9 is pointless.
Maybe merge Auxiliary Thrusters and Augmented Drive Field into one, keep the OP cost of the lesser of the two?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4