Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: [0.95a] Beyond The Sector - Endless Randomized Systems  (Read 169873 times)

Najóvanmosmá

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Beyond The Sector - Endless Randomized Systems
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 09:59:12 AM »

Hi! Could you share a link to a previous version that is compatible with 0.9.1a? If it's still available and not too much work. I'm holding onto my 0.9.1a campaign until most of my favorite mods will update. Which are almost all of the mods. Yeah, I'm sick. Sickly in love of Starsector. :D

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 10:09:23 AM »

Oh this is really cool! Thanks for sharing :)

Darenkel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 12:45:43 PM »

Congrats on making the list... 1 day after I find the mod and download it, lol.

Flacman3000

• Commander
  • A man cannot put his shaft into the unknown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 01:14:04 PM »

Hi! Could you share a link to a previous version that is compatible with 0.9.1a? If it's still available and not too much work. I'm holding onto my 0.9.1a campaign until most of my favorite mods will update. Which are almost all of the mods. Yeah, I'm sick. Sickly in love of Starsector. :D

Ya man could you share a link to a 0.91a version I have multiple campaigns going on and I refuse to upgrade due to the preference I have with the old skill system.
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 02:30:36 PM »

Cool but too hard for my fleet sadly all I can do is run away. (for example it took me 3 tries with the corona shunt and 80% of my fleet died, so multiple of those is not possible  :-[, nor have I managed to clear a red system yet.) but I still really like the idea.       

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 02:34:32 PM »

How many abstract art pieces does it throw at you at once?

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 02:48:31 PM »

I got two groups of two so maybe the first group would have been defeatable (at large losses) but not the second.

Kentington

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2021, 04:01:42 PM »

Unfortunately no such version exists - it was originally developed for 0.95a. Backporting might be possible if there's enough demand, but it'll have to wait until my schedule opens back up.

I got two groups of two so maybe the first group would have been defeatable (at large losses) but not the second.

Yeah, it's a difficult balancing act. I found that putting only one "killer space butterfly" in a fleet made it too easy for an endgame fleet to farm their weaponry. I agree that two per fleet is probably overkill - I might reduce it to one Tesseract and one Facet - but with hit-and-run tactics you should be able to fight only a single fleet at a time.

If it helps to know, there's no hidden treasure (yet) in the [SUPER REDACTED] systems - just a chance to acquire more special weapons than the base game allows.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 04:04:40 PM by Kentington »

Kakroom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2021, 11:22:32 PM »

If it a matter of demand (+ having time to work on space game instead of real life) then I would also express my interest in a backport. There's still some mods for .91a which make me prefer to it .95, though that's changing pretty quickly.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2021, 12:45:09 AM »

Is this mod causing the bug reported here (two seemingly identical pirate factions present in the game)?

If so, I don't know why the beyond factions are appearing in the regular sector, but it'd be good to fix regardless.
(Also maybe the beyond-red and beyond-white factions should have the "Not <faction>" names like the other factions do)

Nameless

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2021, 08:23:31 AM »

Version checker doesn't seem to recognize this mod even I have it enabled?

rusty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2021, 02:50:47 PM »

Let me start by saying that this is an absolutely awesome mod and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, however there's always room for improvement.

Here are my thoughts, take em or leave em :P
- Some notifications from the core sector have disappeared (I can hear the sounds from the notifications like an incoming raid but I don't see it) and the intel screen is also almost empty, not sure if this is intended.
- After doing about 15 jumps, I got one system with [REDACTED] base, three(!!!) systems with certain very powerful [REDCATED] replicating ships, the rest of them have been empty systems either with a lot of debris and a lot of derelict stations/ships or mostly empty systems with some ruins on planets. I didn't get any inhabited system yet, although that is strongly implied in the introduction. I think the RNG could use a dice-weighting system where each time you jump, you slightly increase the likelihood of getting all of the other system types until you eventually get them and reset the chances. This would prevent save-scumming and make sure you're going to eventually explore all of the system types.
- My fleet is not yet strong enough to defeat the tes[REDACTED] ships but as far as I can tell there was nothing special about that system aside from the ships themselves, perhaps it makes sense to make them guard something valuable?
- All of the derelict ships I've encountered require a story point to recover, is that intended?
- Would be nice to see more unique systems in the future, perhaps with small quests tied to them? The potential is limitless...
- Perhaps one of the systems could contain a device that would allow the player to attune to specific system types (with a chance to backfire?), say I wanted to farm [REDACTED] and don't care about surveying planets... Or if I wanted to trade my stuff in and I want a habitable world.

EDIT:
To expand on my "attunement" idea, perhaps you could introduce a system like greater rifts in Diablo 3 (or maps in Path of Exile) to make this truly late-game: say you randomly encounter a [REDACTED] base, you defeat it and you loot a "key", coordinates of a stronger [REDACTED] system with better rewards and stronger forces. If you're able to defeat it - you can find a key to an even stronger system, infinitely scaling.
The same might go for inhabited systems in two variants:
- A friendly system, where you could buy an expensive coordinates of a richer system, with more demand.
- A hostile (human) system, where you'd need to perform a raid to extract the location of a larger hostile system (or even other system types?) with heavier defending fleet and defending forces, but with more resources to plunder...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 03:25:04 PM by rusty »

rusty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2021, 04:44:00 PM »

Found an interesting "Inception" bug:
https://imgur.com/a/zzjWv1B

I got a system with a neutron star and after I explored it I went to go back in the gate, but got a little impatient and moved into the gate while the pulsar beam was still on the gate, so my fleet got pushed out of the ring, without teleporting back, so when I came back to the gate, it was no longer a "return gate", instead it looked like a normal gate, giving me options to travel or jump to an unknown system, so I jumped to unknown system again from this ring and when I came back from that system, I was back in this neutron star system, normal travel from it is apparently impossible due to 2^31 fuel requirement :)

What I found interesting about this is that I was able to come back to this generated system it all. I fully expected a crash when I was coming back from the second-level generated system to the first one, but not only did that not happen, but the system preserved the explored state I left it in, so it was not re-generated from a seed. Care to satisfy my curiosity and explain how it works? Does this mean that every time I use the jump, the new system is generated and permanently stored in my save file?

EDIT:
Added two more screenshots: I set up a colony in this system  :D

It finally crashed when I jumped out to the hyperspace. In fact, it might not have crashed, but the game froze with 100% processor usage so I just killed it after a while.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 04:55:48 PM by rusty »

vladokapuh

• Commander
  • Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2021, 03:07:20 AM »

the cryosleeper thing might be a bit too common
i went about 20 times and i found 4
besides that, it would be cool if it had its own sprite :)
Cabbage

McMuster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2021, 01:36:18 PM »

This is fuckin cool and has a lot of potential.

Thematically it'd be really cool if your explorations could unlock a quest that culminates in spending vast resources to recruit and mount a one-way expedition to another Starsector as a final fade-to-black Bon Voyage that bookends your save. Kind of like the various "this cool thing youre going to do concludes your character's story" options in Sunless Sea or Retirement in Mount and Blade

Maybe even using colony supply like those high level trade missions to prepare, alongside having a large lump sums of supplies and goods in the trip fleet. Maybe require a special quest-exclusive "Colonist" crew that can only be recruited through special means like cashing in relations with factions as not every signed spacer is going to be game to leave their home, potentially forever. Making the whole thing a massive project to cash in your accumulated wealth and resources.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 01:43:30 PM by McMuster »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11