Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.96a] Stellar Networks 3.1.3 - information at your fingertips  (Read 250413 times)

SoulMan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Stellar Networks 1.0.0 - collection of intel boards
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2021, 05:07:05 PM »

I keep getting this error message whenever I try launching the game with the mod.

I am running the version of the game the mod asks for, 0.95a-RC15.
After some basic troubleshooting, it seems that Stellar Networks 1.0.0 is incompatible with Nexelerin 0.10.1, which is made for the same versionof Starsector. At least whenever both mods are enabled at the same time the game crashes with that error message.

Thank you for your time and work. This mod is pretty useful so being able to work alongside Nex would be great.

I don't have Nexelerin running and still get that error.  Looking at the starsector.log, it looks like that error is coming from Version Checker (which is included in Nex).

Specifically it seems to not like the .version file for the new version of stelnet.

Excerpt from starsector.log for the crash:
Code
52193 [Thread-3] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [stelnet.version]
52303 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to parse version file "stelnet.version"
java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to parse version file "stelnet.version"
at org.lazywizard.versionchecker.VCModPlugin.onApplicationLoad(VCModPlugin.java:90)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.ResourceLoaderState.init(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.json.JSONException: stelnet.version
Expected a ',' or '}' at 104 [character 5 line 3]
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils.Õ00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils.void(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.settings.StarfarerSettings$1.loadJSON(Unknown Source)
at org.lazywizard.versionchecker.VCModPlugin.onApplicationLoad(VCModPlugin.java:86)
... 6 more

I turned off Version Checker and everything works just fine.  Doesn't really fix the issue with Nex since version checker is integrated there.

Bug report aside, many thanks for the mod, it is super useful for keeping track of market info and I really like the new profit window.

Cheers!

Edit: Found the issue, the first line of the stelnet.version file is missing a comma at the end.

Original Version:
Code
"masterVersionFile":"https://github.com/jaghaimo/stelnet/blob/master/assets/stelnet.version"

Corrected Version:
Code
"masterVersionFile":"https://github.com/jaghaimo/stelnet/blob/master/assets/stelnet.version",

I assume fixing that file would make it run correctly with Nex as well.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 05:23:37 PM by SoulMan »

Madskills

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2021, 08:07:29 PM »

In Endless Sky, there's a very useful trading functionality that starsector lacks: if you select a target station, it shows you difference in prices of commodities compared to the station you're currently closest to. So if you know you're currently staying and Nachiketa and you have a mission to go to Umbra, you might as well check which commodity at Nachiketa has the largest profit margin to sell it at Umbra so that you grab it along with you and sell there.

iconoclasticflow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2021, 09:39:48 PM »

Edit: Found the issue, the first line of the stelnet.version file is missing a comma at the end.

Original Version:
Code
"masterVersionFile":"https://github.com/jaghaimo/stelnet/blob/master/assets/stelnet.version"

Corrected Version:
Code
"masterVersionFile":"https://github.com/jaghaimo/stelnet/blob/master/assets/stelnet.version",

I assume fixing that file would make it run correctly with Nex as well.

Can confirm, this worked like a charm. Thanks for the find!

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Stellar Networks - handy intel boards
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2021, 10:57:53 PM »

was the banking agent yours or someone else's? It was really handy to have a place to separate out capital so you wouldn't accidently spend it.

i like your work, it adds nice options for those who dont want to focus on fighting.
Not mine. I did have an idea of banking tab, where you can invest money for months / cycles. Simple deposits / loans and maybe stock exchange functionality (short and long positions on commodity). Not now though, perhaps in the future.

That would be dope, would make cornering the market an entirely different ballgame.  If implemented, would also be nice to have black market/rep loss events linked to the more unethical possible outcomes... like buying a bunch of shorts for fuel then raiding Nachiketa's fuel production to drive up prices (since underlying economic model should account for such behavior), or just the more direct route of buying shorts then raiding anonymously to steal the commodity you shorted... but adding hedging possibilities would be ideal, although dunno if UI can handle it.

Might want to add certain events in general that relate to this, like how the terraforming mod has a lobster caper to possibly add volturnian lobster to ocean planets (maybe some planets get temporary locusts that temporarily limits food production or a warehouse fire that creates some loss and thereby excess demand for some commodity).  Also thus begs insurance fraud, since now insurance prolly should also be included.

I guess the only remaining question is whether only the player is allowed to using hedging, or whether ai "opponents" might also exist in market (besides some sort of space SEC sending fleets after you).
I wasn't always a Judge...

gedsaro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2021, 11:02:22 PM »

First have to say this mod is great, going shopping now reminds me of Space Rangers 2!  ;D

Would it be possible to add a Query for Agents to the Staff search? (Agents from mods, I assume its part of Nex and/or others)
As now I that is the main thing I have to go looking at every planet when I want to find them now.

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2021, 12:33:56 AM »

First, let me apologize for the missing comma. I am currently working on an old (10-year-old) laptop, and keep my mod list short (no Nexerelin, no Version Checker, just utility mods) and thus haven't caught the bug. Bug has been put (in) a comma now.
In Endless Sky, there's a very useful trading functionality that starsector lacks: if you select a target station, it shows you difference in prices of commodities compared to the station you're currently closest to. So if you know you're currently staying and Nachiketa and you have a mission to go to Umbra, you might as well check which commodity at Nachiketa has the largest profit margin to sell it at Umbra so that you grab it along with you and sell there.
Lots of work, I would need to learn opengl in order to draw on screen (possible, see the mod that adds your storage ships hovering over planets). What I can do, and will, is to add some tabs to future Trade board. It will have:
  • System - all profitable routes within the system you are in; kinda quick-peek into what you can do (and earn) in the current system; disabled if in hyperspace
  • Sector - all profitable routes within the whole sector; top X most profitable
  • Routes - like Sector but you specify source planet (nearest by default), and target planet; shows what you asked (so net difference)
  • Stock - current profit tab but better, aka configurable (see below)
  • Config - filters and settings for Stock tab
Would it be possible to add a Query for Agents to the Staff search? (Agents from mods, I assume its part of Nex and/or others)
As now I that is the main thing I have to go looking at every planet when I want to find them now.
As far as I remember Nex agents are in a bar, and personnel searches through Comm Directory. I'll see what I can do, but honestly I was planning on just removing person searches (since you can now mentor officers and make them your desired personality).

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2021, 09:20:41 AM »

As far as I remember Nex agents are in a bar, and personnel searches through Comm Directory. I'll see what I can do, but honestly I was planning on just removing person searches (since you can now mentor officers and make them your desired personality).

Please don't drop person search if possible, still need it to find good administrators if not wanting ai admin route.  Assuming code is still compatible, that is.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Stellar Networks 1.0.1 - collection of intel boards
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2021, 12:08:33 PM »

Also, unrelated to my last post, but the distances that your mod is showing in the intel screens are wildly off of the distances reported by the F1 tooltip.  Does your mod measure "distance" in the game differently now?  Like total trip length as opposed to just the absolute distance between star systems?  Like it is telling me that certain planets within the same system are as far away as other actual star systems... I am also running multiple other mods, so entirely possible it is due to some incompatible mod overlap.

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2021, 02:10:22 PM »

Please don't drop person search if possible, still need it to find good administrators if not wanting ai admin route.  Assuming code is still compatible, that is.
Ok, I'll come up with some acceptable solution. The bone I have with personnel searches is how different to the other two searches it is. Items and Ships search through submarkets (and have lots of options I can add), while personnel searches just check comms directory (and bar for Nex agents if I end up adding that).
Also, unrelated to my last post, but the distances that your mod is showing in the intel screens are wildly off of the distances reported by the F1 tooltip.  Does your mod measure "distance" in the game differently now?  Like total trip length as opposed to just the absolute distance between star systems?  Like it is telling me that certain planets within the same system are as far away as other actual star systems... I am also running multiple other mods, so entirely possible it is due to some incompatible mod overlap.
Yes, there are two distances my mod (and game) uses. The generic distance to player (from say a planet) which is simply a light-year distance in hyperspace (game shows that in most places), and the actual distance you need to travel when you set course to that planet - this will include you going in normal space (if in sector) to the nearest jump point, travelling in hyperspace to the nearest jump point, jumping back into new system, and travelling in normal space to the place you laid your course. This is shown in the right bottom side of your campaign UI and is larger than the first number.

I thought I was using the larger distance always, but now looking at the code I do sometimes use (for example, in Profit tab) the shorter distance. Will be fixed.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:13:42 PM by Jaghaimo »

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2021, 08:29:32 AM »

(and bar for Nex agents if I end up adding that)

I think it's okay for Nex agents/operatives not to be searchable, since they're supposed to be kinda secretive and all that. Makes you have to look for them in bars which feels natural.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2021, 10:07:30 AM »

Yes, there are two distances my mod (and game) uses. The generic distance to player (from say a planet) which is simply a light-year distance in hyperspace (game shows that in most places), and the actual distance you need to travel when you set course to that planet - this will include you going in normal space (if in sector) to the nearest jump point, travelling in hyperspace to the nearest jump point, jumping back into new system, and travelling in normal space to the place you laid your course. This is shown in the right bottom side of your campaign UI and is larger than the first number.

I thought I was using the larger distance always, but now looking at the code I do sometimes use (for example, in Profit tab) the shorter distance. Will be fixed.

Maybe add a toggle to be able to switch back and forth?  Total trip distance from cheap to profitable is best calculated absolutely from cheapest point, but would also be nice to see distance to cheapest market included and total length of trip including both flight to cheapest and flight to profit.  Not exactly the traveling salesman, but getting closer...

Island

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2021, 10:41:44 AM »

Maybe I missed it, but does Market tab works everywhere, or only from within Comm Relays range, like F1?

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2021, 02:06:46 PM »

Currently, everything in this mod works everywhere. At one point it will require being in Comms Relay range but once it does there will be an option to disable it this requirement as well.

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Stellar Networks 1.1.0 - collection of intel boards
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2021, 01:44:07 AM »

New version is out - 1.1.0:
Code
    Refresh storage board using tabbed view
    Make mod translatable and provide example translation (polish)
    Make config file optional, and provide dist file with defaults (avoids having your config replaced each update)
    Fix a bug where changing config settings would not be seen on an existing save
Save incompatible BUT safe to update IFF you uninstall the mod using currently used version (see `uninstallMod` flag in `data/config/settings.json` or `stellnet.hjson`) before upgrading.

Kaokasalis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Stellar Networks 1.1.0 - collection of intel boards
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2021, 06:17:36 AM »

Thank you for your mod. It is such a huge QoL change, especially when looking for administrators.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21