Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.95a is out! (03/26/21); Blog post: Skill Changes, Part 2 (07/15/21)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: [0.95a] [Hullmod] Modern Carriers 1.6.1a  (Read 39977 times)

theDragn

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] [Hullmod] Modern Carriers 1.6.0a
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2021, 11:12:22 AM »

It’s mainly about Ace core be exceptionally good for a random subset of fighters for any given version. I can see how it was broken as 30OP flat and people just S-mod it in to mitigate the cost completely, so that’s why it’s like this at the moment: you get what you paid for.

But it still doesn’t feel right... maybe I’ll do a flat % increase across the board instead... but I don’t want to invalidate multiple deck giving additional value and smaller ships definitely can’t afford as much Op as larger ones.

The main purpose of Ace core is to empower lower deck count carriers or combat carrier to have more fighter power at a price, and I don’t want the price be completely mitigated by S mod; nor do I want to completely invalidate Astrals from using it but generally shouldn’t be superior to Swarm core for those scenarios.

Since so many people has built it in I also want to keep the base price at slightly higher end instead of making it cheap then move all the cost as flat fighter cost nor do I want to make it not S-moddable. It’s just... hard to balance.

Fun fact: drover with warthog Op cost is unchanged if you didn’t build it in.

Mainly the problem with Ace Core (in my opinion, anyway) is that it provides a substantial bonus to armor penetration capability for fighter wings, because it increases per-hit damage along with everything else. This can make fighters that were previously fairly ineffective against armored ships shred through targets with 1k+ armor. Likewise, the reduced damage taken makes armored fighters inordinately stronger- a fighter with 200 armor that takes 50% less damage has an enormous (more than 100%) bonus to survivability, because the % damage reduction applies before the armor damage reduction calculation.

The solution to this would be to have the fighters get hull HP, flux, and rate-of-fire boosts (and probably an ammo regen boost too, because I'm sure there are modded fighters that use mag-fed guns), and then balance around that- since increasing those numbers will pretty much always linearly scale a fighter's power, rather than exponentially scaling it like a damage boost or damage taken reduction does.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: [0.95a] [Hullmod] Modern Carriers 1.6.1a
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2021, 11:30:32 AM »

I'm not sure if worrying about S-mods is a good idea, personally. They let you ignore limits up to a point sure, but I don't think balancing something around it should be done.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]