Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What are everyone's thoughts about exploration loot density?  (Read 2399 times)

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What are everyone's thoughts about exploration loot density?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2021, 07:15:14 PM »

With more stuff to get there is a bigger pool of random stuff to draw from, so rather than randomizing the loot; I would rather see just the position of derelicts/probes/stations be randomized and have their location affect the type of loot they have.  For example Mining bases around a gas giant may be more likely to drop a Plasma Dynamo, while on a planet without atmosphere you would get the Autonomous Mantle Bore.

imo, the sector as a whole is just... too small

you clear the sector map way too fast for my liking

increasing the sector size would not only give more places to explore (and thus help with the loot distribution, aka you have more rolls available to get rares)

it would also adress the late game issue of... you know, not having any reason to leave the core sector anymore (or your own systems, of those are out in the rim)
Yes I would love a much bigger sector size for exploration!

Personally, with the new skill system, I do not think that a +rare find skill would be such a good idea because it would encourage player behavior to respec into the skill when going out to explore and then respec out once you're done traversing the sector. In 0.9.1 putting points into +rare find was a sacrifice to get a bunch of BPs, forges, etc. early via exploration but then wasn't so useful after that but was stuck with you. Beyond that, you can still raid for a guaranteed pristine forge, 2 synchrotron cores, and probably 90% of BPs. The last few things you ought want can be grabbed from the historian as well, though them showing up can be hit or miss. Grabbing the things you want, unless its something ultra rare or powerful, shouldn't be impossible but it may be a bit inconvenient.
The same thing happens whether you have a +rare find skill or not, since once you have the sector explored you don't need the Salvaging skill anymore.  It's only because of Makeshift Equipment's massive reduction on supply usage that I have the Salvaging skill at all after clearing the sector in my first game. 

Perhaps Industry doesn't actually have a permanent skill like Leadership & Technology because it was intended that the player will respec out of it as they game progressed?

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2021, 10:29:24 PM »

it is fine, i do like the fact that you can't get everything with exploration any more, it is only one aspect of the game, there is trading, raiding, and scavenging to get what you want. it should stay that way.
You can't get the special items from trading, scavenging is bundled up with Exploration, and there's only a handful of special items in the Core worlds that can actually be acquired (mostly just nanoforges and synchotrons).

What's more, there's a special item that essentially *requires* the use of another special item to get the full benefits from it, and another special item that *needs* yet another special item to be able to get its benefits at all.  You can very much be locked out of utilizing one of the special structures or items simply because the right supporting item did not spawn for you, and vice versa.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 01:14:11 AM »

It would also be pointless to raid factions for blueprints if you can just find every single one in the wild.
It's faster and more focussed, plus it's a choice of playstyle. If you destroy the station and bombard the military it's not that hard to raid for blueprints, I did it with like 400 marines and a matching amount of ground support package.
Pages: 1 [2]