Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Regarding exploration QOL  (Read 2469 times)

Jet Black

• Commander
    • View Profile
Regarding exploration QOL
« on: April 10, 2021, 10:31:34 AM »

Are there any mods that do the following:

-Things picked up on sensor burst stay up permanently, instead of disappearing after a short bit.

-Sustained burn staying up or turning back on after sensor burst automatically?

If my burst is 5000 range or so, that is 5 squares on the map. If my screen is 3 grids horizontal and 2 vertical, whats the point if most of it disappears again (2 grids horizontal and 2 vertical scanned but off screen)?

-Is there any mod that marks these locations on my map?

NaniByte

• Ensign
  • Why are you here? Where will you go?
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding exploration QOL
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 04:18:13 PM »

I do a lot of exploration as well and having active burst interrupt sustained burn is such a pain. Not being able to tell sensor range or zoom out the minimap is a pain.
However I don't agree that this that move should stay marked on the map. Thing that don't move are already show permanently on the map. But saving the last know position of cargo pods for example would clutter the map IMO. A good solution would be that cargo pod that you eject stay on your senor no matter what and are marked as mine so I don't keep forgetting I dumped that 10 iron and keep coming back to check what the signal is. The mentioned above is not a big deal really but I would really like a better mini-map mod.
We look like we are fighting each other, but really we are fighting ourselves.

Euripides

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 05:18:10 AM »

A lot of things that don't move do not stay marked on the map. Derelict ships in particular.
If I see and identify a thing, and it can't move itself anywhere under its own power, that thing should stay identified.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 05:24:03 AM »

I want something to remove the false positives from Neutrino Detector.

Neutrino Detector is a bit more useful thanks to the Alpha Site.  Not sure if there are more such places for Neutrino Detector to shine.

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 07:03:02 AM »

There's still enough derelicts and stations orbiting away from POIs that neutrino detector is just fine.
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

Phenir

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 08:06:52 AM »

-Sustained burn staying up or turning back on after sensor burst automatically?
Yes, please. Just suppress the effect of sustained burn (and go dark and neutrino detector I hope) until the sensor burst is over.

-Things picked up on sensor burst stay up permanently, instead of disappearing after a short bit.

If my burst is 5000 range or so, that is 5 squares on the map. If my screen is 3 grids horizontal and 2 vertical, whats the point if most of it disappears again (2 grids horizontal and 2 vertical scanned but off screen)?
1. Pay attention to your minimap when sensor bursting. Minimap should cover the range of your sensor burst, assuming you aren't using a mod or something that makes the sensor burst cover the entire system or something. You can tell from the look of the pings roughly what the object is. Small single ping would be a derelict ship or station. Numerous pings would be a fleet, cargo pods, or debris field.
2. 2000 range is one grid cell, not two. So your 5000 burst, which is 2.5 cells, is completely shown on the horizontal and only barely goes past your vertical.

oooh_senpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 09:01:44 AM »

I think that ability to make marks on the map would be great (and if you will be able to do it through minimap), great qol improvement

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 10:09:29 AM »

yes please.
also let me place custom notes on the map so i can keep track of interesting stuff i found.

Razor Feather

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 12:19:17 PM »

yes please.
also let me place custom notes on the map so i can keep track of interesting stuff i found.
This very much. I use notepad to keep track of things, but it feels really silly when the game marks salvaging intel permanently for me, but if I just fly up and see a mining station I have to go write it down on an external application.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 12:41:29 PM »

Being able to at least mark a system as "important" would be nice; finding a hypershunt, some sort of station or a cryosleeper is worthy enough of a map marker, IMHO.

As for neutrino detector, I think the false signals are kind of important to the minigame; otherwise you're just being led by the nose, like a Skyrim objective.  Being able to sniff out the false positives and identify the real signals is part of the fun of hunting.  If anything, it's the cost in volatiles that kinda turns me off; having to stock up is not only expensive but cargo-intensive.  I also don't often feel the need to scour a system thoroughly enough to need the detector but that's only tangentially related.  If a mission says "outer reaches" I don't bother; it's never worth the effort.

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 05:03:42 PM »

Being able to at least mark a system as "important" would be nice; finding a hypershunt, some sort of station or a cryosleeper is worthy enough of a map marker, IMHO.

As for neutrino detector, I think the false signals are kind of important to the minigame; otherwise you're just being led by the nose, like a Skyrim objective.  Being able to sniff out the false positives and identify the real signals is part of the fun of hunting.  If anything, it's the cost in volatiles that kinda turns me off; having to stock up is not only expensive but cargo-intensive.  I also don't often feel the need to scour a system thoroughly enough to need the detector but that's only tangentially related.  If a mission says "outer reaches" I don't bother; it's never worth the effort.

How DO you use the neutrino detector? I tried to follow the blips but never found anything.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 07:00:08 PM »

I lug Volatiles around and burn them up?  Of course I expect to be led by the nose.  If I want to play exploration mini-game, I would sensor burst all over the place.

The so-called mini-game with Neutrino Detector's false positives is not fun.  It is frustrating!  It might be tolerable if it did not burn up volatiles, or waste time and supplies moving a while before confirming the signal is false.

Ad Astra

• Captain
  • Are Reapers strawberry flavored?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 07:07:06 PM »

I agree, it already has enough interference from planets and debris fields, the fake positives only make it more unpleasant to use.
You can park your spaceship anywhere you want if you get along with pirates

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 07:27:00 PM »

i dont mind false positives as much as no filter for known false signals. the signals for planets and the stars should be filtered out.

Euripides

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 06:10:22 AM »

I lug Volatiles around and burn them up?  Of course I expect to be led by the nose.  If I want to play exploration mini-game, I would sensor burst all over the place.

The so-called mini-game with Neutrino Detector's false positives is not fun.  It is frustrating!  It might be tolerable if it did not burn up volatiles, or waste time and supplies moving a while before confirming the signal is false.

I agree, it's a dumb system in my opinion.

Currently, I carry about 30 volatiles on me, when I want to search a system I turn the detector on for 1 second, note the blips, turn it off and fly in that direction. Repeat as needed. You never run out of volatiles this way. (could be "fixed" with burning 1 volatile to turn on)

I think I would rather just a list of all the items in a system. I don't really need to know where it is - my sensor pinging can do that eventually, I just need to know there's something there and I'm not wasting my time.
Pages: [1] 2