Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: overloaded seems to be broken somehow  (Read 2851 times)

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
overloaded seems to be broken somehow
« on: April 10, 2021, 02:07:00 AM »

i noticed this a few times now:

enemy ships sometimes ignore being overloaded in a few ways:

1, they dont loose speed, instead they get FASTER

2, they still retain the ability to strafe (very annoying when trying to finish with missiles)

3, they loose the overloaded status after 2 seconds

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: overloaded seems to be broken somehow
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 09:05:37 AM »

The first one is due to how the Helmsmanship elite perk works - right now it allows you to retain the 0-flux boost while venting or overloaded, since you're technically not building up flux at that point. This is changed for the next build.

Second one, I'm not sure why they wouldn't retain the ability to strafe. Neither of those status effects  directly affects mobility.

Third, I can't say - haven't seen any similar issues. The overload duration is dependent on the amount of "extra" damage that hit the shield, though, so if they were overloaded by a small shield hit and had elite Reliability Engineering (which reduces the duration by 30%) I can see it being shorter. But not quite 2 seconds; the shortest base duration - for a frigate - is 4 seconds.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 09:10:03 AM »

The first one is due to how the Helmsmanship elite perk works - right now it allows you to retain the 0-flux boost while venting or overloaded, since you're technically not building up flux at that point. This is changed for the next build.
Oh I thought this was intentional, and I liked it too.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 10:00:21 AM »

I moved this here in case further people want to comment, but in general no posts not regarding information about bugs/support in the bugfixing forum please.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 10:17:19 AM »

I also thought it was intentional, since you get the bonus when venting, too.

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 10:24:18 AM »

Second one, I'm not sure why they wouldn't retain the ability to strafe. Neither of those status effects  directly affects mobility.

i thought being overloaded was supposed to kill all your shipsystems, including movement?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 10:25:04 AM »

No, movement is the only thing you have left after you overload. It has been this way for ages.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 10:26:30 AM »

@Thaago: thank you!

It could've been! But it was just an oversight. I think gameplay-wise it can make ships too annoying/slippery when you're trying to land the finishing blows when they should technically be more vulnerable. Nothing necessarily *wrong* with a skill helping reduce this vulnerability window, but this specifically felt like too much. Probably a big contributor to why high-end REDACTED fleets are so tough to fight, too.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 12:48:12 PM »

@Thaago: thank you!

It could've been! But it was just an oversight. I think gameplay-wise it can make ships too annoying/slippery when you're trying to land the finishing blows when they should technically be more vulnerable. Nothing necessarily *wrong* with a skill helping reduce this vulnerability window, but this specifically felt like too much. Probably a big contributor to why high-end REDACTED fleets are so tough to fight, too.
What if it gave half the boost when overloaded? Would that be a fair tradeoff? Otherwise I can see this skill not being worth the SP to get
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 12:51:12 PM »

Hmm - I don't know, it feels like +50 speed even situationally is too good to pass up on the flagship.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 01:14:03 PM »

What if it gave half the boost when overloaded? Would that be a fair tradeoff? Otherwise I can see this skill not being worth the SP to get
Being able to hit X and within 2 seconds put your battleship into high gear is powerful enough IMO, it's just a story point. Also it interacts with the Hyperion.

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 01:36:29 PM »

Being able to hit X and within 2 seconds put your battleship into high gear is powerful enough IMO, it's just a story point. Also it interacts with the Hyperion.

the thing is

i noticed ALOT of my hurricanes miss their volley when i fire them on overloaded targets recently

like, ALOT alot

Nameless

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 09:10:25 AM »

Yeah this has been an annoyance for me since .95a. I send out everything I can to overload enemy ships so I can kill them but somehow they can now get away faster than I can pursue them...

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 09:57:37 AM »

Yeah this has been an annoyance for me since .95a. I send out everything I can to overload enemy ships so I can kill them but somehow they can now get away faster than I can pursue them...

i have seen a 200 speed drone tender go to 400 speed during its overload

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 08:22:18 PM »

To be fair, a 0-flux boost doesn't really make sense when your ship subsystems are exploding with flux. Wouldn't that be more like a 100% flux boost?  ::)
Pages: [1] 2