Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Final Impressions of 9.5 (Spoilers)  (Read 4013 times)

Arakasi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Final Impressions of 9.5 (Spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2021, 04:23:38 AM »

I do believe in that list as I've seen it from the days of the Amiga, Commodore 600 (back in 1987, till now) The Gene forge game you're referring to do you mean the games by Spiderweb Software? 
If so I've played them myself and was a big fan of the Avernum series (especially the first one) - Again it's a good example of where text really fits that game style really well. I just don't feel Star Sector is anywhere in that same ball park.

The Avernum games and other recent titles from them have always been quite static / still. Everything moves on a tick so movement is turn based and the combat is turn based.
So textual references and heavy description is essential here and it fits perfectly. Star sector is very active and fluid and visual, so trying to fit that square shape concept into a circular hole just seems off to me.

Pretty sure Spiderweb isn't a one man team either. It was originally founded by Jeff Vogel but I'm pretty sure there's a few people behind the company now?

Side Note: Hey Arakasi you might enjoy these games if you've already not played them:
- Baldurs Gate 2
- Planescape Tourment

I'd heavily suggest a try, BG2 is one of my favourite games of all time and it has the style you'd be interested in I think.

Yeah Geneforge from Spiderweb Software. And I'm not sure honestly, I'm sure most indie games are never completely just one developer, everyone needs help and all that, but I think he did most of the work at least on the original.

Not sure why it would be much different though, talking is turn-based regardless of format. Unless you actually want it to be voice-acted which would be a huge requirement, I'm not sure how you're envisioning it.

Yeah I played BG2, I enjoy the dnd system well enough, but RT/P is not really my preferred format for games like that where you have to play multiple characters, much prefer turn-based. And the story was less philosophically interesting to me than Geneforge, much more character-oriented. Still great game though, and I'm going to play BG3. Didn't get far into trying planescape though, definitely want to considering it's an old Chris Avellone game.
Pages: 1 2 [3]