Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Remnant fights?  (Read 5366 times)

dgs6686

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Remnant fights?
« on: April 09, 2021, 04:07:03 PM »

Curious what people think about remnant fights right now. I've noticed some strange inconsistency with how battle size is allocated. In some cases, I will clearly have a larger fleet - ex. 4 battleships, 4 cruisers 4 destroyers 8 frigates VS their 1 battleship, 4 cruisers, 4 destroyers, 6 frigates but playing on 400 battlesize I will only be allowed to bring in 160 while the AI gets 240. This only seems to happen vs remnants and makes fights which should be pretty fair seem extremely unfair.

My other gripe is, why do they get to have 20+ officers in a stack when we are limited to 10? I attached a screenshot of a fleet that I can't fathom ever being able to beat with how the game currently plays. I know these are supposed to be end-end game encounters so I understand they should be difficult but honestly this seems like a few too many odds stacked in their favor.

Anyways, I was wondering how others are dealing with fleets like the one in my screenshot or if ya'll just avoid them as well lol.

[attachment deleted by admin]

furl

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Remnant fights?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 04:25:43 PM »

Well, at least there are some ships without officers.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 04:38:18 PM »

DP allocation is based on number of officers not fleet size now afaik.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 04:44:38 PM »

Remnant fights are extra nasty because all of the skills they have are elite as well. Its not impossible, but it needs some specialization to get done. Probably the biggest change is that, because of impact mitigation + elite, a lot of those ships won't take significant hull damage from kinetic weapons, but kinetic weapons are the best tools for getting through their shields. I recommend the heavy energy weapons like Mjolnirs, plasma cannons, tach lances, etc to accompany kinetics in order to combine both good anti-shield killing efficiency and good hull/armor crushing.

Oh and missiles. LOTS of missiles.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 05:16:13 PM »

5 Random patrols from the same system (there are more, this system is Remnant hell, though great for farming):

Spoiler
[close]

They are definitely hard fights for me, competing quite well with the Coronal Hypershunt fights.  I've since upgraded my fleet to add another doom (3 now with the Ziggurat), and with Systems expertise the mine spam is hysterical with the Doom's under AI control, though suprisingly not as devastating as would be expected against those Remnant battleships.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 05:17:33 PM »

Those are nasty fights. I don't think I've gotten a red ping system that does them that large, mine maxed out at 2 radiants... hmmm I need to find a better system! Also I'm not sure my fleet could take one of those without upping my game.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 05:21:59 PM »

The fleets seem to keep getting bigger if you stay longer/kill more. I was up to 3 radiant fleets when I stopped playing my first campaign.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 05:27:12 PM »

The fleets seem to keep getting bigger if you stay longer/kill more. I was up to 3 radiant fleets when I stopped playing my first campaign.

If this is actually happening it might explain the current state of that system; I wonder if I could hit 5 radiants with some more farming...  ;D

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 08:00:56 PM »

It could also be upscaling over time? I mean, fleets do seem to get stronger over time in general?

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 08:04:29 PM »

No. Remnants scale up in difficulty the more you kill them in the same system. It's a mechanic unique to them and it has nothing to do with time progression. You can see it in the code.

Arakasi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 08:07:56 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Wow I didn't know you could get a 4x Radiant fight aside from the bounty.

Anyway the way I deal with these fleets is to use very fast high tech ships, lots of Auroras in particular, making a lot of use of unstable injector. Set the Radiants to 'avoid' and bait them around the map using frigates to capture the objectives while killing the stragglers until only the Radiants are remaining, and then swarm them.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 01:24:46 PM »

I really think that needs changing. Having fleet size not matter just feels like nonsense.

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 01:29:36 PM »

I would say I disagree with you since on paper it'd allow smaller fleets exploiting the DP limits a competitive edge, but since remnant fleets are chock-full of officers...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 01:32:29 PM by shoi »

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 01:37:10 PM »

wait, WHAT

omg

please let this be untrue

PLEASE

TuxedoCatfish

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 01:43:25 PM »

I haven't had too much trouble clearing Remnant Ordos, but my strategy heavily leans on phase ship cheese and on the player personally destroying like half the enemy fleet, whereas in previous versions of the game I didn't feel nearly so pressured to optimize and use the most broken ships in the game, nor did I have to do so much of the work myself.

Fortunately I'm pretty sure AI officer counts are getting toned down in the next patch anyways.

Also, the whole idea that the player would spend story points to add mercenary officers to their fleet for just one year seems very naive when you compare it to all the permanent upgrades that story points can buy, and how scarce they are at endgame. It's a total non-starter, especially since the main problem with enemy officer counts isn't even really the DP difference, but the war for ECM supremacy -- which can be solved by adding the ECM hull mod to your ships, ideally with a story point. Why go for a temporary fix like mercs when you can go for a permanent one?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 01:45:25 PM by TuxedoCatfish »
Pages: [1] 2