Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: How exactly global market works?  (Read 3243 times)

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
How exactly global market works?
« on: April 09, 2021, 08:28:16 AM »

Checked some articles on the Wiki. Some of them outdated, some do not clarify this.

It is said that: each commodity has total global demand price (which depends on combined demand of all habitable planets, i guess). Industry generates offer. We take percentage of this offer related to total offer of all industies, producing this type of commodity, multiply result by global demand price and get our income per month (before calculating upkeep, ofc). It is simple.

What i cant get is logarythmical scale. For example: we have 5 worlds, demanding food. 7, 6, 6, 8, 4. I have farming, producing 6. How i calculate (assume here, that we have infinite accessibility on all worlds)? What will change if i ll start producing 7? What will change if i have two worlds, one producing 4, and the other producing 5?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 08:32:19 AM by Mordodrukow »
Spoiler
[close]

oooh_senpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: How exactly global market works?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 10:06:55 AM »

Global market value is a sum of total suppliebal (lol) demand (if colony has demand of 5 units but have 23% access it will lead to ability to import only 2 units) * cost per unit (volatiles are 5000 credits, harvested organs are 2000), your colonies demand isn't included. Colony export income is global market * colony market share. All producers in total have 100% market share pool: for ex there are 3 producers: 3 units and 120% market share, 10 units and 43% market share (limites export to 4 units), 5 units and 70% market share. First producer market share is (3*1.2)/(3*1.2+4*0.43+5*0.7) = 0,408 or ~ 40%. So it's income is global market value * 0, 408
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 10:13:14 AM by oooh_senpai »

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 10:13:56 AM »

I know how access works, thats not what i m asking about.

So, you want to tell me that if one faction has 2 worlds with food production 3, and other faction has one world with food production 6, and there are no other factions, those two factions will split food market equally?
Spoiler
[close]

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 10:21:02 AM »

This is where the economy system starts to break down and not make a whole lot of sense, IMO.

Your colonies' demand does not count towards increasing the potential income you can make. That is to say, even if you have 1000 planets all demanding 5 food, and no other faction exists, you will be losing money because you can't export anything.

In your example, assuming no other faction exists, your planets with demand 7 and 8 will both be suffering a permanent food shortage of 1 and 2 units, respectively. The others will all be supplied 100% in-faction
Assuming the normal sector, those planets will get supplied 1 to 2 units through imports because there are vanilla colonies that produce at least 8 food.

Assuming infinite accessibility, only the highest supply matters, and is able to support an infinite number of planets' demand. If you have 1000 planets all demanding 5 food, and you have one planet that produces 5 food, all of your planets will be supplied in-faction. You could call supply and demand units logarithmic, but then the export value calculation should not be linear.

EDIT: In case it was not clear, in your second example, you will have a larger food shortage because only the world producing 5 really matters.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 10:23:54 AM by Pushover »

oooh_senpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 10:25:27 AM »

So, you want to tell me that if one faction has 2 worlds with food production 3, and other faction has one world with food production 6, and there are no other factions, those two factions will split food market equally?
yep

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 10:38:48 AM »

I m not talking about shortages (it creates one good question though), i m trying to figure out two things:
- how it scales
- how to get most income

And about shortages:
1) so, in normal sector, if i disrupted enemy's production, and he need other factions to get more of required stuff, how those new demand will be splitted?
2) if every faction fulfills 100% of their own demands, will anyone make any profit at all?

yep
Got this, ty.
Spoiler
[close]

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 10:48:31 AM »

It does not really scale.

The way to make the most net income is to supply all of your demands in-faction, since that will reduce upkeep costs by 50%, and to get into all of the markets (produce everything).

The system is simpler than you think. In the base game, there's something like 223 units of demand for food from not from your faction, and each unit of demand adds 1000c to the global market. This means the most you could make, if you were the ONLY producer of food in the whole sector, is 223,000c/month from food. It doesn't matter who is supplying what, there's just an arbitrary global market for food that all food producers export to.

1) If you disrupt an enemy's production, you will be capturing a larger share of the market, so will make more money that way. Assuming everyone has 100% accessibility, if you have 5 colonies producing 5 food, and there's 5 other colonies producing 5 food as the only other food suppliers in the sector, you would have 50% of the market. If you disrupted farming on one of the other planets, you would get 55% of the market.

2) Where the demand is getting fulfilled doesn't matter. There's still a 'global export' economy from... somewhere... that determines how much money you make. Supplying in-faction only matters for upkeep costs.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 11:02:33 AM »

There's still a 'global export' economy from... somewhere...
It breaks my mind.
Spoiler
[close]