Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Sensors Skill...  (Read 1322 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
The Sensors Skill...
« on: April 08, 2021, 12:07:14 PM »

Is excellent! I went for navigation my first playthrough out of habit, and it was exactly what I'd expect (go faster, transverse jump etc). This second playthrough I've gone with sensors, and it is, at least in the early game so much better. My fleet travels at burn 9/18 instead of 10/20, but I can 'go dark' and still travel at 8 speed. I can see everyone before they see me, do sneaky type missions, raid anyone's isolated fleets to my hearts content, travel in triple red ping systems with no worries... its great.

Its probable that when I have a fleet with capitals I'll swap over to navigation. It is better for long haul, and once the player can stomp things/has outgrown sneaky missions, speed is better. But for now, this is just great.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Sensors Skill...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 12:19:55 PM »

Well, thanks to the new skill system and changes, you never really HAVE TO grow out of stealth missions if you don't want to, so it's completely viable to build for stealth and enjoy the opportunistic backstabber lifestyle.  I personally find 9/18 to be perfectly acceptable in general but I'm also running capitals most of the time anyway.  Then again, you've got 15 skill points to go through; who says you can't wrap around and get both?

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 02:25:34 PM »

I took sensors on my second play through, and while it's definitely nice, I HATE going slower. Like I think objectively it's not that bad but it feels terrible to me. I wish there was a campaign 3-4x speed multiplier.

Immahnoob

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 03:01:36 PM »

There seems to be a burn limiter based on the size of the ships you roll as well.
You can cut through nebulas with frigates but if you have a Capital, you'll trudge through slowly even with 10/20.