Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Consequences for ignoring distress signals.  (Read 2292 times)

Dex

• Commander
    • View Profile
Consequences for ignoring distress signals.
« on: April 08, 2021, 11:08:37 AM »

I just ignored a distress signal as the potential threat is too great and the potential pay off is too small and im an actual terrilbe person. I vaguely recall Alex saying he doesnt want to punish the player for NOT doing something and would rather use bigger carrots. Maybe a carrot could be BP location? Habitable planet location, that kind of thing. I think it would be kind of cool that there IS some form of punishment though.....   ???

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Consequences for ignoring distress signals.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 11:29:34 AM »

What if I'm in a situation where I don't have fuel/supplies to spare and a distress signal pops up directly behind me? What if I try to respond to one, but get shot halfway across the Sector because I touched a hyperspace storm trying to reach it? I'd rather not get punished for not cutting off my head just to stick it into a bear trap hoping it's not one set up by multiple pirate doomfleets.

One idea I have for a bigger carrot, at least relatively speaking, would be letting the fleets who get stuck be something other than independent prospectors and/or pirates. Independents are easy to raise your relationship with, the amount you get for selling the fuel above market value barely covers the fuel you spend getting to them if you're flying anything bigger than a tiny fleet, and pirates that want to murder you are never in short supply. A rare chance to score some points with one of the major factions on the cheap, though, would be something. Nothing major, but something.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 12:06:23 PM »

No punishment when one of the possibilities is a gang-up ambush (telegraphed by hostile warning before entering) by multiple mid-to-large pirate fleets, often early enough in the game when getting caught means a wipe.

I only check distress signals because one of the possibilities is a derelict waiting in the system, and player can get a high level officer out of it.

Otherwise, I do not want to mess with distress signals, especially if I do not have the supplies or fuel to spare and/or I have a tight time schedule to keep.

q-rau

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 02:45:24 PM »

I'm curious about the actual ratio because I find that pirate ambushes or derelicts seem to outnumber actual living spacepeople in need of help by like six to one. Surely there are better ways for a huge pirate fleet to sustain itself than making fake distress calls in the middle of nowhere hoping some prospector with a few destroyers will show up.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 02:49:00 PM »

Oh I love when there are ambush fleets at distress beacons. It's free supplies and fuel!

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 03:50:52 PM »

Oh I love when there are ambush fleets at distress beacons. It's free supplies and fuel!

Pretty much that. I usually check the signals if they are not that far out of my way. Even in early, or early mid game you have a decent chance against them if you don't fight the waiting fleets all at once. It's sometimes hard to get supplies otherwise.

But to the original point, I don't really see the need for a punishment, reward or nudge for the player to check distress calls. Unless you are RPing as a good Samaritan of course, but that's more of a personal choice. Scavengers, like the player, need to watch their fuel levels when heading out to explore, and they may get stuck in really worthless systems if they are unlucky, at the mercy of passers by. Same as the player, if you run out of fuel.

As far as punishments go, I could see some new events with stronger fleets, [Redacted] ambushes or something, but not helping a random scavenger or not engaging ambushing pirate fleets causing you, the player, who likely didn't even know them at all, problems later on seems like... weird. Or strange at the very least.

Now, if there was a new mission type you got from contacts or could take if within comm array range, that you need to either rescue, or find out what happened to X who was last seen travelling to constellation Y and is in one of that constellation's systems, that's a different matter altogether. The player, depending on situations, may have to aid the guy in a battle, provide supplier and/or fuel so that the target can make it back to the core worlds, or take on the crew of the target for different results. Alternatively, you could have the option to extort more money from the target, or, plain and simple, rob them and leave them to the stars' mercy.

TL;DR, in my opinion distress signal mechanic is OK as it is. Some other flavour events or actual missions are very welcome, but I think handing out Blueprints for something like this is a bit too much, considering the relatively low risk potential.

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 05:42:40 PM »

distrescalls are high  risk - abyssmal reward quests, the only reasonable course of action is to ignore them.
i think they need other tweaks first.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 06:02:29 PM »

Why would I want to play good Samaritan when my character is a bloodthirsty pirate with ambitions of megalomania?