Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: asterioid impact chance should not stack from multiple sources  (Read 1693 times)

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile

as title says. thule is completely un-navigatable (yes. this is a word now) (assuming system layout is fixed... it is un-navigatable in my game at least because it has 4 asteroid belts close together and there is an impact every second if i try to fly in this system)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: asterioid impact chance should not stack from multiple sources
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 07:49:16 AM »

Go slow. It helps.

...Unfortunately there's a bug where the 'go slow' key doesn't quite do its job, resulting in a displayed speed that's constantly at the slow value, but actually flickers up above it, resulting in storm/asteroid impacts that 'shouldn't' have happened. This is most easily seen in hyperspace, where the fuel-per-day indicator will, for some fleet compositions, flicker when you're going slow.

Turning sustained burn off can help too.

If you really need zero impacts, you hit 'go dark', though of course that is slightly problematic if there are patrols around.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 09:57:20 AM »

tbh i rather take a few impacts then navigate a system that is made of rings with snail speed...
asteroids are not THAT bad, its just when there are multiple sources of asteroids where things get really crazy.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 11:33:30 AM »

The damaging asteroid impacts should just be completely removed IMO. It adds nothing other than an incentive to move really slowly in situations where, more often than not, you're not in any danger because of the slow movement speed anyway.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 09:20:44 PM »

Good old Thule.  I get the asteroid impacts even between rings if I'm not careful (maybe I'm hitting some hard to spot stragglers).  I kind of need to be going slow the entire time to be sure not to hit any.

I haven't seen it, but do those asteroid impacts apply to hostile fleets as well?  I think that would be pretty neat to see a hostile fleet Emergency Burn to try and catch you in Thule, only to end up hitting an asteroid themselves.

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 10:05:12 PM »

they hit all fleets, but a fleet under e-burn wont get bumped.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 10:30:17 PM »

I just tested my fleet under Emergency Burn by driving through an asteroid belt and I was constantly hitting asteroids; does it not do the same for Hostile fleets?

Oh...I think I see what you mean; damage is still taken but you aren't bumped to a slower speed or a different trajectory, so unfortunately you can't lose a hostile fleet while they are utilizing the Emergency Burn even if they do take more damage as a result.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 04:52:36 AM »

I too enjoy being mugged for supplies by passing asteroids.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 08:20:42 AM »

Personally, I like the damaging asteroid hits. I agree with Rauschkind that multiple asteroid terrains probably shouldn't stack, though.

Good old Thule.  I get the asteroid impacts even between rings if I'm not careful (maybe I'm hitting some hard to spot stragglers).

The asteroid impacts randomly occur as long as you are moving through an asteroid terrain - the visible asteroids don't play a part in it. You can see what terrains you are in above the abilities bar.

The Roider Union mod's MIDAS hullmod reduces the chance of damaging asteroid hits (though not the damage). If every ship in your fleet has it you are nearly immune to the movement bump and almost never take a damaging hit.

Ryan390

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 08:36:13 AM »

I've complained about the same thing with the asteroid impacts it seems a little over the top now.

It's not so much the impact but the damage to CR in some cases, if you forget to check CR it can be sometimes really low.
So you space into a system looking for the pirate base, hit a few rocks, then engage the fleet & station, but three of your best ships are down to 40% CR.. nice..

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 01:05:16 PM »

We need a "go slow" toggle without stealth and disabled transponder. Sometimes slow key stop registering after keyboard buffer becomes full and you got meteor strikes in a row with terrible losses of supplies.

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 12:57:45 PM »

but really. how much fun is it to transverse systems like thule in slow mode? id rather take the hits than that.
i think the question should be if it makes the game more fun to play. sometimes asteroids might lead to interesting situations so thats cool, but if the solution is to spen very long times slowboating around i think it hurts the game.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 01:26:27 AM »

We need a "go slow" toggle without stealth and disabled transponder. Sometimes slow key stop registering after keyboard buffer becomes full and you got meteor strikes in a row with terrible losses of supplies.

Also with a large fleet going through deep hyperspace it's slower to go dark than to sustained burn and hold S because the penalty from the terrain pushes you lower than your "slow" speed.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 02:14:57 AM »

I'd love to see the damage go. There's already the way-too-many storms to deal with in hyperspace; this extra supplies drain is just more annoyance.
By all means, have rocks bump off the drive bubble, give it a brief visibility penalty (so for a moment enemies can spot you from farther away), but don't damage ships for it.

Also, way too often I'm hit by rocks when I'm near an asteroid belt and not -in- it. Flying clearly outside of the belt, but nope, still getting rocks thrown at me.