Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Cryosleepers and colonies.  (Read 2158 times)

Thyrork

• Lieutenant
  • Give more then you take.
    • View Profile
Cryosleepers and colonies.
« on: April 08, 2021, 05:41:42 AM »

While I messaged alex on twitter with this thought, I figure it should be brought here too;

Been discussing an idea for cryosleeper ships on the unofficial discord with Tarn#5882 who suggested they could allow for size 7+ colonies.
It seemed like a neat idea? Maybe even go as far as designating one world as the benefactor regardless of proximity to the sleepers?

I feel this would also be a comfortable lore reasoning for you having one colony with a population in the higher numbers. You found something monumentally important after all, a cryo ship discovery should be a sector-shaking event. Having it be able to "aim" at the colony you want to become your new homeworld would be an added bonus to its existing features that doesn't force the player to find the cryoship first, as your established colonies far away might not benefit directly, but at least one world will become your new capital.

With all the benefits and all the problems it will cause. After all, never forget, you are the upstart in the sector. The factions might not like you having access to that ship and its people...
Bio engineering starship mods is extremely Safe. I did the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cryosleepers and colonies.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 05:55:44 AM »

With all the benefits and all the problems it will cause. After all, never forget, you are the upstart in the sector. The factions might not like you having access to that ship and its people...
Stuff that aggravates all factions makes them all look petty, and makes me want to sat bomb and destroy all of the core worlds to eliminate a source of headaches.

Anvel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 05:57:48 AM »

There is another one in the heath of the sector, and residents get harvested for organs.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 06:03:30 AM »

Seems like a good idea. Might be a good target as another one of the "requires 10 of a resource" end-game goals.

Wake up all the sleepers: requires 10 food income.

Thyrork

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 06:06:35 AM »

Seems like a good idea. Might be a good target as another one of the "requires 10 of a resource" end-game goals.

Wake up all the sleepers: requires 10 food income.

Using this as the trigger to "point" at the colony to become the candidate would be a solid hook.

It'd also be a good event to cause all the factions to either court or condemn you over the coming months as they realise you've gone from upstart with a colony to upstart with a enormous potential workforce and a colony for them to work in.

Thyrork

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 08:16:46 AM »

Speaking to @amosolov on twitter, copying in the important bits so more eyes on it;

Me: been discussing an idea for cryosleepers on the unofficial discord with Tarn#5882 who suggested they could allow for size 7+ colonies. It seemed like a neat idea? Maybe even go as far as designating one world as the benefactor regardless of proximity to the sleepers?

Alex: Hmm. You'd feel like you *had* to only colonize near one then, no? So it'd have to be where you can do it regardless of proximity. Which makes their location not really matter... It's an interesting idea, but not quite sure this all clicks

Me: being near the sleeper would give you its existing benefit. This "designate colony to grow past usual limts" would be seperate and without needing to be nearby.  This way, players dont need to "wait" to find one to build a colony. Made a thread here.

Alex: Usually a good idea! To wit, now that the idea of a "10 resource required project" came up in conjunction with this, I'm intrigued... :)

Alex: Ah yeah - that makes sense mechanically, but doesn't really make sense in-fiction, does it? Like it'd feel weird for the much bigger benefit to also be like "oh yeah you don't need population growth for this... extreme population growth"

Me: I imagine it as you needing to ship people with the help of others. A drain on your credits as other captains take you up on the missions to ferry people until the deed is done, becoming more costly on the distance. And a hook for the major players to notice what you're doing.
It also could be a tipping point of you being a upstart pretender to becoming a legitimate "player of the game" in the eyes of the major factions. With all the benefits and all the horrors that will contain...