Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The new Breach SRMs rule  (Read 2103 times)

Demetrious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
The new Breach SRMs rule
« on: April 07, 2021, 03:25:45 PM »

As someone who has never been big on "watch the AI miss 3/4ths of their shots" during early game frigate madness and loves flying the Gryphon for that sweet, sweet alpha strike destruction, I cannot stress how much I love the Breach SRM. I always keenly felt the lack of a good, dedicated, tracking anti-armor missile. Harpoons didn't really fit the bill; not only does the AI (intelligently) only fire them at overloaded targets as a "finisher" (hence its tag on the weapon card) but the magazine depth always felt too low and one hole in the armor wasn't much to aim for. Breach SRMs track reasonably well and their snakey swarmy behavior (without ECCM upgrades at least) are fairly effective in stripping armor off much of the target ship at the cost of not having the big blast to hull damage a torpedo can give.

I love everything about this weapon and I want Alex to know that. That was good. That's good work. The universe feels a lot more immersive now between new missions (and the excellent writing for them) but as far as mechanics go the Breach SRM is a hands-down win and has had me transferring my flag to my Gryphons surprisingly often just because missile good.

Thank you. Keep doing that. More of this.

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The new Breach SRMs rule
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 03:49:06 PM »

I also like the magazine depth and the 3 OP instead of 4 OP. I haven't figured out a situation for its use though. Maybe for chasing down retreating ships as a less expensive salamander? Not sure if it's fast enough.

Demetrious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 04:10:53 PM »

I also like the magazine depth and the 3 OP instead of 4 OP. I haven't figured out a situation for its use though. Maybe for chasing down retreating ships as a less expensive salamander? Not sure if it's fast enough.

It's a great option on any frigate on which you're finding it hard to make a decently balanced kinetic/HE loadout. Consider a Lasher; 3 dual light MGs on a Lasher + ammo feeder to quickly overload a target; followed by a Breach salvo to strip the armor; now their hull is at the mercy of your rapid fire kinetics. Lasher doesn't usually have a problem with HE/KN balancing of course but I find myself bumping into the issue on a lot of other ships. Another good idea (but one I haven't tried yet) is using it on the classic Locust-in-the-large-slot Gryphon; Breach strips the armor off for that constant stream of hull damage marvelously effectively. It used to be Locust in the large, Harpoon MRM pods in the mids and Sabots in the smalls, but even with three small Sabots I often found it hard to properly time every missile attack so enemy shields were forced to be up to take the sabots and overload. With sabot pods in the mids you have a LOT more kinetic oomph and Breach is effective even in a small slot, though it might take all three against heavily armored brick tanks (Ventures come to mind.) And the superior magazine depth gives you an anti-armor threat to force AI to raise shields for longer than Harpoons can. It's great, all around.

EDIT: I'll also add that fighting Domain drones showed me that ECCM enhanced Breach missiles are fairly good anti-frigate options for a Gryphon, in a pinch.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 04:22:49 PM »

If they didn't exist I think Alex would have to nerf armor and armor hullmods. They allow even frigates a cheap/easy way to threaten heavy armor.

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 05:55:05 PM »

But does the AI know to save the ammo when the target's armor is stripped? It's such a waste using breach srms as damage dealer.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 06:09:27 PM »

I like them because they last some time (but not as long as Locusts), and they are like alternative Swarmer, but this type has a medium version, unlike Swarmers.

Also, they are homing, unlike Annihilators.  Handy as poor-man's Locusts for Onslaught.

Flet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 11:07:59 PM »

I also really enjoy using these and my low tech roleplay fleet has them all over. The ai is decently intelligent with them on an SO lasher, shredding shields then launching a volley of these as it falls back.