Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What about making Hyperion a Phase Ship?  (Read 1907 times)

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
What about making Hyperion a Phase Ship?
« on: April 07, 2021, 02:20:31 PM »

The nerf to the Phase Teleporter on the Hyperion was definitely needed, but with all the disadvantages that now come with this ship, there's very little reason to run it any more.

The fact that you require 0-flux to activate the teleporter means that this ship is excellent at getting behind an enemy and delivering some devastating blows. But it has no wherewithal to extract itself. Turning the Hyperion into a Phase Ship may resolve this issue, as it could allow the player to extract successfully after getting behind the enemy.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What about making Hyperion a Phase Ship?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 02:28:37 PM »

Why? It's finally useful as AI ship.

Plus, we already have the perfect phase ship - Afflictor, so that niche is occupied.
Phase frigate doesn't need anything beside it's speed to bypass shields.

Phenir

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 02:37:58 PM »

Use elite helmsmanship (0 flux boost active as long you aren't generating flux) or safety overrides if you want rapid teleporting.

RemnantAI

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 03:04:39 PM »

Use elite helmsmanship (0 flux boost active as long you aren't generating flux) or safety overrides if you want rapid teleporting.

- This. Safety Overrides, and you can build it in to the hull mod. If anything rapid teleportation can be a problem.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 03:05:01 PM »

The new Hyperion is baller. Huge amount of PPT available. Big shields. Able to teleport at max flux!. Able to teleport with shields up if you have SO!

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 03:48:55 PM »

The new Hyperion's system doesn't require 0-flux, it requires the zero flux boost. This means that with Elite Helmsmanship you just need to put your shield down and hold your fire to teleport at any time. This does, however, have the issue of making elite Helms a must-have skill in order to use the Hyperion to its fullest.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 03:13:48 AM »

The new Hyperion's system doesn't require 0-flux, it requires the zero flux boost. This means that with Elite Helmsmanship you just need to put your shield down and hold your fire to teleport at any time. This does, however, have the issue of making elite Helms a must-have skill in order to use the Hyperion to its fullest.
I suspect the AI won't be smart enough to do that, but I give them SO anyway so it's not a big deal.

New Hyperion is pretty overpowered honestly.  I had originally thought it would be gutted when I read the patch notes, but it carries my endgame fleet, and the AI does better with it than any other frigate (AI in general is about as dumb as a box of rocks, but it still gets something done). 

One thing I did notice, I'm pretty sure old Hyperion's teleport made it instantly untouchable, like a phase ship entering phase.  New Hyperion is vulnerable to damage in its original location until it fully vanishes.  Might be vulnerable in its destination too but that's a little harder to test.  In any case it means that I have to fly out of immediate danger first before teleporting away unless I'm willing to take damage.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 03:22:28 AM »

New Hyperion is good, but is not exclusively overpowered. Scarab displays quite similar level of performance under AI control, despite only half the DP cost.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 03:25:05 AM »

New Hyperion is good, but is not exclusively overpowered. Scarab displays quite similar level of performance under AI control, despite only half the DP cost.
I haven't actually tried it, but I highly doubt that.  My SO hyperions run 3x Heavy Blaster and pose a legitimate threat even to Radiants.  I don't see how a scarab could even hope to match that with small mounts only and way less flux.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 03:41:24 AM »

I don't run SO anything. Too short PPT. It's hard to imagine AI making good use of it.

Plus, my fleet is mostly there to survive, distract and finishing blows to crippled capitals. Rest is done by player-piloted Afflictors.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 03:43:03 AM by TaLaR »

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 04:08:20 AM »

I don't run SO anything. Too short PPT. It's hard to imagine AI making good use of it.

Plus, my fleet is mostly there to survive, distract and finishing blows to crippled capitals. Rest is done by player-piloted Afflictors.
That must take hours.  I always try to finish my battles in minutes.  If two thirds of the enemy fleet isn't dead within 3 minutes of real time, I probably did something horribly wrong.  I go after the biggest fleets I can find, multiple at once when possible.

SO Hyperions with reckless officers get the job done, even on remnants.  Try it some time.  Just a handful of those and a paragon or two to hold the enemy's attention.  Heavy Blasters only on Hyperions of course.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 04:10:02 AM by sotanaht »

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 12:33:50 PM »

what about removing phase ships

i hate fighting them, and i hate flying them, and even more, i hate having them in my fleets

(totally not biasd i swear)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 02:28:33 PM »

I found that scarabs get waaay stronger with just a few of the new [redacted] weapons. There are some really strong small energy weapons.