Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Please tell me somebody else tried this *Facepalm*  (Read 2672 times)

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
Please tell me somebody else tried this *Facepalm*
« on: April 14, 2021, 01:05:37 PM »

So I started a colony on a Gas Giant in order to synergize it with the other colony in the system that required extra volatiles for the Orbital Fusion lamp and decided it would be a smart idea to install Fuel Production in it and give it one of my three spare syncotron cores (stole a lot from factions and explored most of the sector :P) only to then realize that Gas giants may have no habitability, but they do, in fact, have an atmosphere.
Spoiler
[close]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjLgekyOZA0
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:29:30 PM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Please tell me somebody else tried this *Facepalm*
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 01:33:16 PM »

I didn't get to the point of building fuel production, but this does still annoy me - it's a strong violation of my 'build industries in linked chains so they don't get shut down by trade disruptions' policy.

Ah well. At least I can still get the mining-refining-heavy_industry chain running, and that one's more important. Disrupt fuel production and you're mostly just losing money; disrupt heavy industry and suddenly all your patrols are using trash-tier generic equipment.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Razor Feather

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 01:36:16 PM »

One might even say that they are *only* atmosphere!

I'm just salty that the only volatile booster I've found got killed by a supply shortage about 2 days from a safe dock.  :'(

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 05:45:36 PM »

Fun fact: Synchrotron and Catalytic Core don't work on station-only markets, even though getting the required lack of atmosphere on them is almost literally a matter of opening a window.

(The economic handling of station-only markets in the unmodified game is pretty strange in general)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 06:02:35 PM »

I mean, practically speaking, station-only markets really should have the airless tag...
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 06:16:34 PM »

I didn't get to the point of building fuel production, but this does still annoy me - it's a strong violation of my 'build industries in linked chains so they don't get shut down by trade disruptions' policy.

Ah well. At least I can still get the mining-refining-heavy_industry chain running, and that one's more important. Disrupt fuel production and you're mostly just losing money; disrupt heavy industry and suddenly all your patrols are using trash-tier generic equipment.

In principle, industry skill, story points, and an alpha core will let a size 6 planet without a syncrotron core produce 7 fuel - enough for a high command on a size 6 world.  I feel like story points are there for colonies in case you don't find the necessary colony boosters (when combined with farmable alpha cores).  So if you want supply chain invulnerability, it's still possible on an atmosphere world.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 06:04:52 AM »

I assumed the lack of a "no atmosphere" icon meant it wouldn't work so I didn't try it initially but since it seems that gas giant colonies are built outside the atmosphere they should logically be able to use refining and fuel production boosters.