Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Too easy to never have enough cargo space.  (Read 1726 times)

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
Too easy to never have enough cargo space.
« on: April 06, 2021, 11:15:44 AM »

I think this is not supposed to happen but... whenever I check on a bar mission for delivery, they ask me to deliver 2x my cargo space (not free cargo space, I mean total cargo space).

I saw this through multiple playthroughs, modded and not modded, seemly somewhere the game detects my cargo space to generate the mission, and then generate one twice as hard.

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Too easy to never have enough cargo space.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 11:34:00 AM »

i did not made it that far in this game... last game i had that spoiler ship, but i kinda went bankrupt because my colonies sucked and i just could not supply my fleet while it still was not strong enough to fight the stronger threads without to many losses.

anyway, i did do quite a few transport contracts worth around 200k-300k without story point, and i never had huge issues fitting them. granted... i probaly had to many freighters. but how to make profit from that year long exploration voyage if one has no room for ze loots?

Destroyer140

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 11:54:59 AM »

Quote from: speeder
I think this is not supposed to happen but... whenever I check on a bar mission for delivery, they ask me to deliver 2x my cargo space (not free cargo space, I mean total cargo space).

I saw this through multiple playthroughs, modded and not modded, seemly somewhere the game detects my cargo space to generate the mission, and then generate one twice as hard.

This is intentional and there ways to do it perfectly fine even if not the whole things fits in your cargo. Naturally you could just quickly snipe some more cargo ships from the market and/or put expanded cargo hullmod on all your ships, but there is an even better methode:
You see, straight up "this thing needs to be hauled from A to B" large volum contracts don't usually have a very strict time limit, so you could just spend 5k credit to buy (btw permanent) storage access at the station you accepted the mission in then drop all the cargo you can't carry in there and buy storage in destination station too, and just simply haul it in multiple trips, once all the cargo is in the destination station, take all of it into your fleet cargo, contact the officer waiting for it and deliver it.

There are som edge cases where such multiple round hauls might not fit time limit "think of player colony at the edge of the sector before
Spoiler
the gates are fixed.
[close]

But otherswise I think this is working as intended and if anything should be going in suggestions instead bug reports.

Quote from: Rauschkind
i did not made it that far in this game... last game i had that spoiler ship, but i kinda went bankrupt because my colonies sucked and i just could not supply my fleet while it still was not strong enough to fight the stronger threads without to many losses.

anyway, i did do quite a few transport contracts worth around 200k-300k without story point, and i never had huge issues fitting them. granted... i probaly had to many freighters. but how to make profit from that year long exploration voyage if one has no room for ze loots?
If you made some poor first/second colony choices and it drives your monthly income through the floor keep in mind that you can always just choose to "abandon the colony" (on the same page where you can build stuff)so long it's only size 3 or 4, you have to pay some evac fee, but that is usually offset by all the refunds you get from the shut down of all the industries and structures you already set up (75% of their initial build fee I believe), so you are not necessarily forced to start a completely new game.

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 12:01:42 PM »

yeah, its fine. it was my first game and i wasted most of my story points on useless permanent shipupgrades, too. i know these are technically unlimited, but i felt i could do much better with some better understanding of the game.

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 12:04:28 PM »

Still, when you are poor and can't afford anything iti s rather annoying you can't do the missions either :(

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 12:09:41 PM »

its really easy to make money. you just need enough freighters XD
its not just the contracts. good ones are far and inbetween. but you can make a lot of money just shipping certaing goods from one  colony to another - usually (but not always) to pirate bases or the lunatic path.
the issue i had wasnt money anyhow, but that it just got to tidioius to source enough fuel and supplies from npc planets. dunno.like, i always needed about 6k fuel but the best ai planet never had more then 2.8k. then i had to do round trip after roundtrip just to get my fleet running. thats the real reason i think one wants planets. money is not that big of an issue really.

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 12:11:49 PM »

That is my point.

In one game whenever I bought more frithers, the missions would require EVEN MORE space, so no matter how many frighters I got it wasn't enough.

In another I had just started, and got attacked by pirates and lost everything... I didn't want to restart again and tried to find missions, my ship had 150 cargo space, but all missions wanted me to ship 300 of some random good... thus I couldn't figure out how to earn money to buy even a single crappy freighter.

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 12:20:42 PM »

eh, granted im pretty newb in this game. jsut my second game after i abandoned my first.
but i did not even leave the core systems to explore anything untill i had like 2k cargo space. thats just 4 buffalos and a few combat ships and very easy to get very early.

let me give you a hint:
Spoiler
you can buy weapons for around 500, the highest i have sold them for was around 1400... if you press f1 if you hover over a commodity, it will show you where you can buy and sell it. supplies and heavy machinery are very good too. if you buy a buffalo and fill it up with any of these wares, it will have payed for itself after the first trip.
[close]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 12:26:50 PM by Rauschkind »

Destroyer140

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 01:20:41 PM »

Still, when you are poor and can't afford anything iti s rather annoying you can't do the missions either :(

If I could pull off a trader start on the hidden "Spacer" extra difficulty where all you get as start is a Kite(S), around 4k credits, 2 crew member and fuel supply on the low 2 digits with monthly permanent debt hitting you at the end of each month instead of "monthly stipend" credit stimulus, and raise my self up to the point where I have 2 colonies narrowly sustaining me, then you most definitely can pull it off on easy/normal difficulty.

Here is a couple good tips for a strong start that will begin snowballing you in the right direction if you do it right and hellbent on trading: Forget bar hauling missions early on, when you barely have anything cargo space and ship wise, your best bet is smuggling, low volume, high value cargo is the name of the game. Buy heavy armaments, recreational drugs, harvested organs, F1 over them in your inventory often  when you are within relay range of a system to see where the current most profitable shortages are.

While doing said smuggling rounds, interact with all the wrecked ships you see drifting around, easy to get and useful ships are going to be shepherds, hounds and cerberus-es all beefed up by increased cargo size and full set of speed hull mods for good hauling and high speed near uncatchable noncombat escape speeds. If you talent toward "Field Repairs" as you should early game as a trader, you don't even have to shy away from heavily d-moded hulls so long you still get to salvage them without spending story points, mules buffalos and tarsuses are a great big bump to cargo when you can save them, but they will slow you down therefore I like to mostly skip destroyer sized haulers.

Always check bars, our priority will not be the high volume haul missions yet but the "I need you to smuggle this cargo to that station" and "I need to clear out this entire warehouse of X commodity for cheap cheap firesale price" which are great profit opportunities, you may also get better much better deal on hauling ships in bar events.

Once you saved up a couple hundred thousand credits (which by no means should take too long) you can begin transitioning toward Colossus stacking, just slap expanded cargo and augmented drive fields (the latter which's modspec blueprint you should keep an eye out for while trading) hull mods on them then whatever for the rest of op cost. At this point you can comfortably think about hauling missions as smuggling will start to become a lot lot harder with the reduced speed and increased sensor profile of your fleet. Also save every time before leaving or jumping into a system so you don't end up as pirate food, realizing you haven't saved in 30min+ ago, alternatively, consider slowly incorporating combat ships into your fleet as it grows, so it can hold off most nuisance trying to take your stuff.

Bonus tip: If you plan on finally starting your colony never start the first one close to the edge and far from core worlds and ideally go for 50-125% haz rating at most, anything worse and you may be looking at a colony that actually cost you money to up keep rather than help your income for a long long time till you can turn it profitable with upgrades due to the new massive accessibility penalties for distant colonies and heavier hazard rating penalties on industry up keep.

Hope all this helps something.

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 01:49:38 PM »

great post! i was to lazy to write so much, but yeah!

though:
Colossus stacking, just slap expanded cargo
arent 3 colossus without expanded cargo cheaper to run and have the same capacity then 2 with expanders? also, it seems to me larger haulers are generally more expensive to use then small ships. they only become neccesary when the ship limit kicks in. so, i think for the early game buffalos are  the better option.

ah, of course. there is one other reason for larger haulers: stackin penality on sensor and survey mods. but if we talk core world trade, this is of no consequence.

Destroyer140

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 03:55:25 PM »

The cargo to maintenance and fuel use efficiency of haulers and tanker ships got a major rebalance in 0.95a, the ultimate end game is Atlas and Prometeus stacking, but those are nowhere near as easy to come by mid game as Colossus stacking, and if you are at a point where you can mass manifacture your own atlas-es chances are you don't need tips like these anymore.

Quote from: Rauschkind
arent 3 colossus without expanded cargo cheaper to run and have the same capacity then 2 with expanders?

Which in trade will cost you more fuel/ly, there is also the limit of max 30 ships per fleet soft cap after which things rapidly start to fall apart, therefore, you might as well get the most out of your per ship caro capacity in my opinion, but that's just how I prefer to play. And also the question of "which of the 2 way is better?" will noticably change whether the player choosen Containment Procedures or Makeshift Equipment talent.

Rauschkind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 03:59:43 PM »

Which in trade will cost you more fuel/ly, there is also the limit of max 30 ships per fleet
fuel is the same per unit transported, supplies is lightly in favour of the larger hulls, but thes need much more crew.tbh i have not done the math whats cheaper, but the difference in supplies is minimal.