Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Map Widgets on Mission Dialogs (+ Currently Missing Informations)  (Read 645 times)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community

It would be nice to have a map widget that showed relative direction in the mission dialog. Or a full intel map widget.
Current mission UX flow is: read the mission, decline the mission, exit the dialog, go to the map, manually search for the system, switch to Intel, look at currently pending missions, decide to take the mission, go back to taking the mission, accept the mission.
A good widget will remove 2 to 6 steps from above.

Missing informations from current mission dialogs that really should have been:

* Raid competitor warehouse
Currently does not show which faction controls the market, distance, or - in case of contact missions - the number of marines required.

* Bounty
Does not show specific celestial body the target orbits around. Does not show in the intel entry either.
In fact, target doesn't seem to orbit around one celestial body. Or stay in one system. But that's separately filed for bugs.

Yendorc

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Map Widgets on Mission Dialogs (+ Currently Missing Informations)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 09:12:17 AM »

Add

* Extraction missions (same situation as the raid)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Map Widgets on Mission Dialogs (+ Currently Missing Informations)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 09:24:51 AM »

Yes. This. This is why I've not really engaged much with the contact mechanics - it is so much of an <expletive of choice> nuisance to actually pick out mission(s) that fit with your flight plan.

The only exception is Academician Alvis Sebestyen's missions, and the key difference there is that most of them don't have time limits - so you can just take everything and if it's not the direction you were headed right now, oh well, you can go deal with them later. (And the one exception, the one mission he has that does have a time limit, you know it's either a very short hop, or a trip up to the north-west - plus it's vastly easier to find an inhabited system on the map.)

Where's the star-system "Balrog"? I don't know! How can I find it? Uh, I guess I go to the intel screen, sort stars alphabetically (it doesn't remember your sort order, either, so you have to re-select that every time), scroll through the list until I find the relevant one, click on it, click on show-on-map, zoom out, and now finally I know where I might be going - if the mission is one I even want to accept and there's better than even odds that it isn't.

Then repeat all that nonsense for each of three different bounty targets, plus whichever other missions the contact has on offer...

Yeah. No. I'm not doing all that.

Edit: ...It's actually faster and easier to just save the game, accept all the missions, and then look over them on the intel tab. Except that doesn't work with the pick-one-of-three bounty missions.

Here's a suggestion, then: if adding the intel display to the dialog is too much work, how about we, instead, make it so that once you ask a contact about missions, it adds all of their missions to your intel tab, with that little "accept (T)" button that the generic exploratory missions have?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 09:41:20 AM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.