Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: 'Harder' bounties are often easier  (Read 1372 times)

Arakasi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
'Harder' bounties are often easier
« on: April 08, 2021, 09:33:15 PM »

When talking to a contact who gives bounties they often will put the harder bounty under the 'whatever you've got works for me' menu option, while the 'more challenging target' selection has the far easier target. And this isn't just a about incorrect pricing of bounties either, they can be worth over double the price.

Edit: I'd like to add to this that trying to get the 'hardest' bounty is a pain that either requires years of waiting or constantly save scumming to reload the options. I no longer need bounties for the money, it's kinda silly to have to wait for the opportunity this long.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 01:48:39 AM by Arakasi »

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 'Harder' bounties are often easier
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 05:22:59 AM »

Hey! Thanks for the report. This sounds weird- I've got a few questions to sort out what's going on.

- Are you running any mods?
- Would I be correct to assume you've got a pretty high-end fleet and are maxed level, right?
- ... In fact, do you have a save game demonstrating a bounty like this? Or even just the character where you're seeing this; that'd be super useful.

I've logged the issue to look into.

Arakasi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 05:50:29 AM »

Hey! Thanks for the report. This sounds weird- I've got a few questions to sort out what's going on.

- Are you running any mods?
- Would I be correct to assume you've got a pretty high-end fleet and are maxed level, right?
- ... In fact, do you have a save game demonstrating a bounty like this? Or even just the character where you're seeing this; that'd be super useful.

I've logged the issue to look into.

No mods, my fleet is high end enough to take out the 4x Radiant bounty with full alpha cores, and I am max level.
Here's a save with an example, just talk to Rayan Arroyo at the station I'm at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RguPi6n8JSGyqA8uK7_iFuoEk45jWOnx?usp=sharing if that link doesn't work let me know and maybe suggest a file sharing site.
Also after save scumming maybe 100 times I am unable to get the
Spoiler
tesseract
[close]
bounty again. Is that intended?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 07:18:26 AM »

I was under the impression that this is an (undesired) side effect of how it works under the hood.

As in, the bounty system has a difficulty level ranging from 1 to 10, that determines what bounty types are available, and how big they are within those types.
So, "give easier bounty" sets the difficulty level lower, "give harder bounty" sets it higher.
But within the same difficulty level, you can have an easy bounty type (e.g. pirates) and a hard one (e.g. Remnants) which aren't controlled by the dialog options. So if the normal bounty targets Remnants and the hard bounty targets pirates...

Arakasi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 07:33:27 AM »

I was under the impression that this is an (undesired) side effect of how it works under the hood.

That's what I guessed too, figure there should at least be a 'final sorting' under this system that puts them in the right places.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 09:48:06 AM »

(Just to clarify, fleet size and character level don't factor in.)

As in, the bounty system has a difficulty level ranging from 1 to 10, that determines what bounty types are available, and how big they are within those types.
So, "give easier bounty" sets the difficulty level lower, "give harder bounty" sets it higher.
But within the same difficulty level, you can have an easy bounty type (e.g. pirates) and a hard one (e.g. Remnants) which aren't controlled by the dialog options. So if the normal bounty targets Remnants and the hard bounty targets pirates...

I think also once it maxes out at bounty tier 10, the issue becomes much more pronounced. Maybe at that point it shouldn't even offer a "more challenging" option since it can't.

Edit: I'd like to add to this that trying to get the 'hardest' bounty is a pain that either requires years of waiting or constantly save scumming to reload the options. I no longer need bounties for the money, it's kinda silly to have to wait for the opportunity this long.

Could you clarify exactly what you're trying to get?

Arakasi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 10:50:36 AM »

Could you clarify exactly what you're trying to get?

I'm attempting to get the
Spoiler
Tesseract
[close]
bounty again, since it's the only one I haven't been able to beat myself so far (my patrols did it for me last time when it chased me into my home system).

I'm now suspecting it is a one-time bounty either per contact or per playthrough. Would be a little disappointing if so since it is the endgame content and the only way to get the unique weapons.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 11:23:46 AM »

Ah - yeah, that one's once per playthough, though if you don't complete it, it'll show up again until you do.

Arakasi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 07:42:07 PM »

Ah - yeah, that one's once per playthough, though if you don't complete it, it'll show up again until you do.

Oh that's unfortunate. Guess I kind of accidentally cheesed it then, and lost the weapon rewards as a result.