Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.95a is out! (03/26/21); Blog post: Of Slipstreams and Sensor Ghosts (09/24/21)

Author Topic: What are best burst damage weaponry?  (Read 1284 times)

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Email
What are best burst damage weaponry?
« on: April 05, 2021, 01:39:15 PM »

I installed a "mod", that all it does is re-enable the old teleporting Hyperion.

Having a blast with that ship... but it obviously need burst damage, it can't out-DPS anything, can't brawl, etc... all it can do is teleport to someone engines, unload everything, then teleport away.

So what weapons (and hullmods!) are good for that?

Dex

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: What are best burst damage weaponry?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 01:52:56 PM »

Heh, now.... i never had much joy with the old Hyperion. I mean, its great and fun to fly, powerful and such and you could do great things with it. But its also incredibly easy to 'splode it by accident and it was expensive enough in deployment to require a hefty opposing fleet to make it worthwhile and expensive enough in maintenance to make you want to find enough worthwhile fleets to make its worthwhile worthwhile. If you follow.

I only flew it a few times out of the simulator, and i have yet to try the new one. THAT SAID

Two pulsars and expanded magazines. start there.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 01:55:02 PM »

I installed a "mod", that all it does is re-enable the old teleporting Hyperion.

Having a blast with that ship... but it obviously need burst damage, it can't out-DPS anything, can't brawl, etc... all it can do is teleport to someone engines, unload everything, then teleport away.
Hmm, I wonder why it was reworked in 0.95...

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 02:36:33 PM »

Can use reapers, phase lances, heavy blasters, and/or antimatter blasters. I tend to prefer phase lances and antimatter blasters over heavy blasters. Hit hard, run away to vent/wait for weapon cooldown, and reengage.

Can use expanded missile racks for more reapers, or expanded magazines for more antimatter ammo. Lots of flux capacity and vents since teleporting and bursty energy weapons use a lot. Resistant flux conduits for faster venting.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 03:44:57 PM »

Ion pulsers are also pretty potent for burst damage. With a full capacitor it can pump out 900 DPS, and the recharge rate isn't too shabby either. The damage is dealt over tons of tiny hits, so it won't be too great against big ships with THICC armor.

cesarmalari

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 06:38:48 PM »

Ion pulsers are also pretty potent for burst damage. With a full capacitor it can pump out 900 DPS, and the recharge rate isn't too shabby either. The damage is dealt over tons of tiny hits, so it won't be too great against big ships with THICC armor.
I'm loving this setup as a personal ship - Tempest, Expanded Magazines, 2x Ion Pulsers and some 0-OP hullmods.  Move into range, activate High Energy Focus, and fire away, then back off and vent while your drones cover you.  I haven't found a frigate that can survive a single pass, and only the enforcer can take more than a couple among the destroyers.  You can also act as an excellent support for your bigger ships, as you can maneuver to flank and force them to choose between giving your bigger ships a clean shield-free shot or giving it to you.  And even when you can't flank, you can deal a *lot* of shield damage in a quick burst to help your other ships win the flux battle.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 12:33:14 AM »

I've heard that mining blasters were one of the better choices, purely for the high alpha, regardless of the efficiency.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 02:26:01 AM »

Mining Blaster is the best weapon for old Hyperion, AM blasters usually fail to bypass shields due to start-up lag.
This is how it works:

But as assassin build old Hyperion is nowhere near as good as even 0.91 Afflictor, let alone Afflictor with 0.95 skills (which allow it to inflict even more damage).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 02:27:56 AM by TaLaR »

KopiG

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 05:08:42 PM »

Autopulse laser with Extended Magazines work very well too. 1500 DPS when magazine is full!

Eigengrau

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 12:30:03 AM »

My personal setup for Hyperion is two phase lances with a reaper. However,  in order to utilize its full potential, you probably need to invest some skill points into the build. Namely the Missile Specialization for more and healthier reaper and Shield Modulation to take advantage of the already impressive shield to flux ratio. If your flagship is the Hyperion you might even want to invest some SP into it. (you can also replace reaper with thumper for less alpha strike potential but much more skill and hull mods friendly choice)

However, for a support role, Hyperion really shines with ion pulser with extended mag mod, it does tons of emp and even half-decent regular energy damage. with of course the reaper as the main takedown weapon.

P.S. the small nugget is really broken with teleports, 8000 base flux, and 0.8 shield efficiency. It can even shiled-tank some cruisers during harassment.