Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stop using mods to pick internet fights.  (Read 2463 times)

Kelli

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Stop using mods to pick internet fights.
« on: April 05, 2021, 12:17:25 AM »

It's unreal that this needs to be said on an official forum, but here we are. I am not going to call out names in a forum thread (but if any Starsector staff want to know I will happily privately explain every mod guilty of this along with the accompanying proof, your old versions are backed up so don't even think about trying to pretend it never happened, but by all means publicly out yourself as a liar for all I care), but you know who you are and probably know who else has gotten up to it. Alex is of course entitled to host whichever content he finds appropriate on his own forum, but please remember that the internet is very big and there are other communities that discuss Starsector than this one. I'm tired of visiting these communities each patch cycle and finding never-ending drama because people are using Starsector modding and this forum us a bunker from which to antagonize random people on the internet.

Modders can create their own content and of course share it as they see fit. I'm not going to accuse anyone of making -content- they shouldn't have made, nor am I going to accuse anyone of indulging in double-standards. However when you're coding a mod with the EXPLICIT purpose of interfering with the intended function of the game and/or other mods you are no longer making content, you're making malware, and using the Starsector modding forum as a platform to distribute that malware. Perhaps it's targeted malware specifically at someone you particularly don't like, but it shouldn't need to be said that everyone on this planet has someone they don't like and we have to get over it and get along in public regardless. I won't claim to know better than Alex on how to manage his community, but I personally wouldn't consider it uncalled-for to immediately ban anyone that was caught participating in such toxic, spiteful, and drama-baiting behavior with my community as a shield.

Althouth I worded things the way I did, I don't intend to tell anyone what to do or to tell anyone to tell anyone else what to do, I'm obviously not in any position to in the first place. There just doesn't seem to be enough oversight (personal or otherwise) in what modders use this platform for and it negatively affects the way the game and the community is perceived in the eyes of myself, possibly others. I just sincerely hope that each of you reading this will personally try to understand why this type of thing bothers me and do what's right for the entire Starsector community.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: Stop using mods to pick internet fights.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 02:10:13 AM »

Hi anon.

How about you stop using the internet to spread mis- and dis-information?

Psyentific

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 05:57:34 AM »

if you're trying to call people out you should use their names and/or link a few examples

Jet Black

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 06:08:16 AM »

So.. modding a game which is to change something that the developer had not intended is malware? uhm.. what?

Stop being vague about what you're angry about. No one is going to get why from a hint. Or may assume youre angry about something else. Own up to what bothers you instead of using a throwaway account.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 06:19:27 AM by Jet Black »

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 09:32:52 AM »

I personally wouldn't consider it uncalled-for to immediately ban anyone that was caught participating in such toxic, spiteful, and drama-baiting behavior with my community as a shield

I only see one person making toxic, spiteful, drama-baiting posts (with a sock account, no less) here ???
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it