Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: [0.97a] A New Level (Of Confidence, and Power) a Max Level Increasing Mod v3.2  (Read 299532 times)

RedScorpion

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Just want to say thanks for the mod, and for the detailed explanations in what may be considered balanced, what may not. It provided some good insight into considering which one to try (going to try regular 25). In my playthough, I'm coming up near max level in vanilla already, and enjoying it. But I'm at the point where I feel that I'm still only in the mid-game, and so many skills that will simply be left alone in my playthrough - I think this will enhance the experience. Not necessarily wanting to be overpowered, but something with a little more meat. And the steadily increasing experience points needed is a nice balance too, I don't mind if it takes some time/effort to keep advancing.

Thanks for putting it up!

Zangetsuke

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Or you can just edit the max level and gain of storypoints/skillpoints in the settings of Starsector with Notepad++, anyone can do it without this mod.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile

Or you can just edit the max level and gain of storypoints/skillpoints in the settings of Starsector with Notepad++, anyone can do it without this mod.

I think this mod gives custom SP curves so that you retain the 1-15 SP curve while having a level cap increase.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile

any chance you could release thoses in packs so we don't have to download them one by one ?

Panteradactyl

• Ensign
    • View Profile

any chance you could release thoses in packs so we don't have to download them one by one ?
Aye, that'd be easy-peasy.

Panteradactyl

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Yeah, most anyone could. But, not everyone knows how to--or doesn't feel comfortable--editing .java and .json files. Or maybe they don't have the tinkerer's inclination to spend the time trying to figure out how to keep things close to vanilla balance while increasing max level. So I figured, since I put in a bit of time to create this for myself, I'd upload it to save other people the trouble, and create a few variants so everyone has an option they'd like.

I think this mod gives custom SP curves so that you retain the 1-15 SP curve while having a level cap increase.
Still trying to figure out how to do that, I'm afraid. Right now, you still get 4 (or 2, if you're using Fast) Story Points per level, and uses an almost vanilla-- though slightly gentler--levelling curve to level 15, which then scales up to roughly 4 million experience points per level at max level with the multiplier for Story Point gain at max level set to 1. That way, the experience needed per Story Point at max level is roughly the same as compared to vanilla. Decoupling Story Points and experience was something I looked at, and am still looking at, but the only way I've figured out how to do it is really hacky and inefficient: using BaseCampaignEventListener, I could write something that checked if Story Points should be added whenever the player does any of the triggers in that class by looking at their raw experience as compared to some array I'd make.

The problem is that means that Story Point gain wouldn't occur regularly or smoothly, only when those specific triggers happen, so there's a good chance that you won't get a Story Point when you should, and instead get it a bit later, and every time any of those triggers happened it'd loop through the check--which could cause a minor drop in performance, especially on low-end computers and/or heavily modded installs. I don't like deploying things for other people to use that are jury-rigged unless there is literally no other way. Also, the gain for doing it that way is largely minimal, because you still need to scale experience needed per level up to a higher value, it's just that the ~4 million I chose for the final level was by virtue of it being how many experience points you need per 4 Story Points at max level in vanilla. The only real reason I'm still trying to figure it out is that I don't know how to do it, and I refuse to leave this problem unsolved.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 05:36:21 PM by Panteradactyl »

TheToric

• Ensign
    • View Profile

what is the vanilla value for exp/story point at max level?

Jet Black

• Commander
    • View Profile

Would you consider adding a new level of power officer edition to this? lol

Rain

• Ensign
  • Burn bright!
    • View Profile

what is the vanilla value for exp/story point at max level?

I believe it's 1 million XP/story point once you're at vanilla cap, if I've parsed the presentation right.

FreeBubbles

• Ensign
    • View Profile

More xp required means slower story point gain I assume, can you cap story point generation?
For example, have 3 versions: every 250k/500k/1m xp gained grants a story point, ignore 4 points per level limit, ignore further level scaling (or it may scale up to this amount and then doesn't scale above that threshold).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 10:27:58 PM by FreeBubbles »

nathan67003

• Commander
  • Excellent imagination, mediocre implementation.
    • View Profile

Hello, hello; just popping by to check a thing. Beyond level 20, I'm not restricted to the exclusive binary choices for skills, correct? For instance, I could take both of the level 1 combat skills without issue instead of having to choose one or the other.

Thank you for your time!
I have some ideas but can't sprite worth a damn and the ideas imply really involved stuff which I've no clue how to even tackle.

Marco

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hello, hello; just popping by to check a thing. Beyond level 20, I'm not restricted to the exclusive binary choices for skills, correct? For instance, I could take both of the level 1 combat skills without issue instead of having to choose one or the other.

Thank you for your time!

You have to wrap around to do that, meaning buying one of each pair of skills in a single tree. After that, it wraps around to the beginning and you can go through it again picking the other option for each pair.

nathan67003

• Commander
  • Excellent imagination, mediocre implementation.
    • View Profile

Sweet, exact response I was looking for. Tyvm!! ;D
I have some ideas but can't sprite worth a damn and the ideas imply really involved stuff which I've no clue how to even tackle.

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile

.....there is a mod that makes it so you can pick any skill, any time (just like how .91 was)
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward

Damienov

• Ensign
    • View Profile

any chance to update the malformed JSON for this mod for version checker?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10