Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: [0.97a] A New Level (Of Confidence, and Power) a Max Level Increasing Mod v3.2  (Read 299896 times)

Panteradactyl

• Ensign
    • View Profile

hey there, I was wondering about something. in this recent update, story point gain after reaching max level has been made separate from the usual story point gain while leveling up

Given that one of this mod's original features was altering how story points were gained after hitting the level cap, will it still alter story point gain in the latest version? or will the new vanilla story point gain system take over after reaching the level cap?

The way the new vanilla story point gain works is that it simply caps the story point EXP requirements at a certain level. Which, would be useful if the mod just simply continued the scaling of the experience past vanilla, using vanilla values for the first 15 levels; it does not. The lower levels have slightly to moderately reduced experience requirements compared to vanilla, to ensure you actually can reach the new max level in a reasonable amount of time, while still feeling a vanilla-like slowed progression as you get higher and higher into the levels. The level-cap-for-story-point-gain is only used on the level 40 variant, which scales to 4,400,000 experience required to go from level 39 to level 40. It caps the experience needed per story point gain to 4,000,000, which is equivalent to the Vanilla story point gain at 4,000,000--it takes 2,000,000 experience to get to level 15, and Vanilla has a multiplier for story point gain at max level of 2, so 4,000,000.

TL;DR: It uses the vanilla system.

Panteradactyl

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hello, I could use the old 0.95 version, if you don't mind :)

Not at all; it's uploaded and linked. Happy hunting captain.

swelldom

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I must be missing a dependency. Receiving an error. Help appreciated.

Spoiler
28700 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Error loading [data.scripts.plugins.LevelupPluginImpl]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error loading [data.scripts.plugins.LevelupPluginImpl]
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore$3.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: File 'data/scripts/plugins/LevelupPluginImpl.java', Line 6, Column 13: Non-abstract class "data.scripts.plugins.LevelupPluginImpl" must implement method "public abstract long com.fs.starfarer.api.plugins.LevelupPlugin.getXPForNextLevel(int)"
   at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceClassLoader.generateBytecodes(JavaSourceClassLoader.java:226)
   at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceClassLoader.findClass(JavaSourceClassLoader.java:178)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
   ... 2 more
Caused by: org.codehaus.commons.compiler.CompileException: File 'data/scripts/plugins/LevelupPluginImpl.java', Line 6, Column 13: Non-abstract class "data.scripts.plugins.LevelupPluginImpl" must implement method "public abstract long com.fs.starfarer.api.plugins.LevelupPlugin.getXPForNextLevel(int)"
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compileError(UnitCompiler.java:10174)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compile2(UnitCompiler.java:419)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compile2(UnitCompiler.java:393)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.access$400(UnitCompiler.java:185)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler$2.visitPackageMemberClassDeclaration(UnitCompiler.java:347)
   at org.codehaus.janino.Java$PackageMemberClassDeclaration.accept(Java.java:1139)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compile(UnitCompiler.java:354)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compileUnit(UnitCompiler.java:322)
   at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceClassLoader.generateBytecodes(JavaSourceClassLoader.java:224)
   ... 5 more
[close]

Panteradactyl

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Spoiler
28700 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Error loading [data.scripts.plugins.LevelupPluginImpl]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error loading [data.scripts.plugins.LevelupPluginImpl]
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: File 'data/scripts/plugins/LevelupPluginImpl.java', Line 6, Column 13: Non-abstract class "data.scripts.plugins.LevelupPluginImpl" must implement method "public abstract long com.fs.starfarer.api.plugins.LevelupPlugin.getXPForNextLevel(int)"
   at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceClassLoader.generateBytecodes(JavaSourceClassLoader.java:226)
   at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceClassLoader.findClass(JavaSourceClassLoader.java:178)
   ... 2 more
Caused by: org.codehaus.commons.compiler.CompileException: File 'data/scripts/plugins/LevelupPluginImpl.java', Line 6, Column 13: Non-abstract class "data.scripts.plugins.LevelupPluginImpl" must implement method "public abstract long com.fs.starfarer.api.plugins.LevelupPlugin.getXPForNextLevel(int)"
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler$2.visitPackageMemberClassDeclaration(UnitCompiler.java:347)
   at org.codehaus.janino.Java$PackageMemberClassDeclaration.accept(Java.java:1139)
   at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceClassLoader.generateBytecodes(JavaSourceClassLoader.java:224)
   ... 5 more
[close]

First glance, it looks like you're using the 0.95.1 version for 0.95. I'll have to check, but I think that's it.

Edit: Yeah, that's it. Use the 0.95 version; 0.95.1 changed the way levelling works slightly, which deprecated that method, meaning it's no longer in the plugin. However, 0.95 still uses that method, and when it doesn't see it defined, it throws out that error. The 0.95 version has a slightly different levelling curve but it's pretty much identical.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 05:07:02 PM by Panteradactyl »

Athrahasis

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hello, a longtime lurker here currently around to update everything. Made an account just to say thank you for the work and sharing!

swelldom

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Spoiler
   ... 2 more
   ... 5 more
[close]

First glance, it looks like you're using the 0.95.1 version for 0.95. I'll have to check, but I think that's it.

Edit: Yeah, that's it. Use the 0.95 version; 0.95.1 changed the way levelling works slightly, which deprecated that method, meaning it's no longer in the plugin. However, 0.95 still uses that method, and when it doesn't see it defined, it throws out that error. The 0.95 version has a slightly different levelling curve but it's pretty much identical.
Spot on. Thanks for the help. Downloaded the game right before the update apparently and didn't expect one so quickly. Very much appreciated and thank you!

Phil

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for this mod I love a soft cap instead of a hard cap in my games :)

Secondly, just checking if this is safe to use on an existing safe that's updated from 0.95 to 0.95.1? I do get a light warning about RC3 being expected but I have RC5? Is that ok?

Thanks again :)

epsilonflash

• Ensign
    • View Profile

hey there, I was wondering about something. in this recent update, story point gain after reaching max level has been made separate from the usual story point gain while leveling up

Given that one of this mod's original features was altering how story points were gained after hitting the level cap, will it still alter story point gain in the latest version? or will the new vanilla story point gain system take over after reaching the level cap?

The way the new vanilla story point gain works is that it simply caps the story point EXP requirements at a certain level. Which, would be useful if the mod just simply continued the scaling of the experience past vanilla, using vanilla values for the first 15 levels; it does not. The lower levels have slightly to moderately reduced experience requirements compared to vanilla, to ensure you actually can reach the new max level in a reasonable amount of time, while still feeling a vanilla-like slowed progression as you get higher and higher into the levels. The level-cap-for-story-point-gain is only used on the level 40 variant, which scales to 4,400,000 experience required to go from level 39 to level 40. It caps the experience needed per story point gain to 4,000,000, which is equivalent to the Vanilla story point gain at 4,000,000--it takes 2,000,000 experience to get to level 15, and Vanilla has a multiplier for story point gain at max level of 2, so 4,000,000.

TL;DR: It uses the vanilla system.

So if understood correctly, ultimately even the highest level cap version of your mod was already set up in a way that closely resembled what was included in this latest game version, and as a result only the level 40 variant got a slight "buff" to post-leveling story point gain. That's nice, it'll be good to have about the same feel as before since your mod managed to strike a pretty good balance when it comes to progression

Thank you very much for your time and the detailed explanation, and also for your work on this mod

ImperialGit

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I'm sorry, but what do I have to alter in the file to make this work? Already updated the version number in the mod file...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Panteradactyl

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Secondly, just checking if this is safe to use on an existing safe that's updated from 0.95 to 0.95.1? I do get a light warning about RC3 being expected but I have RC5? Is that ok?
Yes, and yes. I'll RC4 and RC5 were just minor bugfixes and didn't touch anything related to skills/levels, and 0.95.1 is save compatible with 0.95, which means so is this mod.

I'm sorry, but what do I have to alter in the file to make this work? Already updated the version number in the mod file...
...How? All of the variants of the LevelUpPluginImpl I have uploaded have getStoryPointsPerLevel defined. The only way I could think that this could happen is if you somehow deleted the LevelUpPluginImpl.java file or edited it in a way that caused Java to forget about it. Upload the starsector.log file, so I can try to figure out exactly what is going on. Also, try redownloading the mod, and don't edit anything, see if the issue still occurs.

Panteradactyl

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Spot on. Thanks for the help. Downloaded the game right before the update apparently and didn't expect one so quickly. Very much appreciated and thank you!

As soon as I saw the update I immediately downloaded it and looked at what I needed to change.

[attachment deleted by admin]

NetworkingGuru

• Ensign
    • View Profile

FYI, I have the same issue.

Panteradactyl

• Ensign
    • View Profile

You are using the proper version, right? You've downloaded the 0.95.1 version for 0.95.1 or the 0.95 version for 0.95?

Because they are different. There's more to it than just changing a version file.

NetworkingGuru

• Ensign
    • View Profile

You are using the proper version, right? You've downloaded the 0.95.1 version for 0.95.1 or the 0.95 version for 0.95?

Because they are different. There's more to it than just changing a version file.

I'm using the version linked on the first page in conjunction with 0.95a-RC15

Edit: Just updated Starsector to the new version and this works properly now.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 09:38:50 AM by NetworkingGuru »

enigma74

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Thanks for the quick update to the new version!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10