Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cannot play salvager anymore / Remove story points for salvage  (Read 5001 times)

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot play salvager anymore / Remove story points for salvage
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 05:17:01 AM »

Starsector's learning curve is a bit steep. It can't be helped, there's a lot of unique mechanics that players haven't seen before. The difficulty itself isn't too harsh and the choices aren't ball breaking. Build good ships, make reasonable choices and you can have a comfy time in the sector.

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 04:32:29 AM »

I'd suggest an improvement. Frigates and destroyers shouldn't come up as a story point salvage. When would anyone ever waste a story point to get a frigate?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 04:54:53 AM »

I'd suggest an improvement. Frigates and destroyers shouldn't come up as a story point salvage. When would anyone ever waste a story point to get a frigate?
If it is a good one and I do not have enough of them (especially automated ships).  Their xp bonus is high.  Also, if it is one of my ships and guaranteed recovery ended up difficult, I am still taking my ship back.

Greywolf2001ca

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2021, 01:05:30 PM »

I do not see the big fuss about xps. You go up to level 15 so fast that it become boring point of view progression after that... especially if you are rich by then (no real point playing after that). Levels serve no purpose in this game since you do not gain hps like in other games. In fact, you should not have levels, just xps to spend on unlocks. I would add more unlocks (I do not see them as skills, more like computer upgrades). I would work with an xp or points system that you invest in upgrades, the more upgrades you have, the more expensive it is. Also, it would allow you to unlock everything over time, alot of time. Need more unlocks like trading, diplomatic, political, colonization, and many others... too many skills focused on combat. Sure, if this was a shoot'em up game, it would make sense, but it ain't.

Still think ships that cannot be salvaged should not exist in the game, their resources being added to the debris field instead. It saves pc resources for something more significant and useful in the game, also no need to worry about those for the dev anymore if he removes them. If you cannot salvage them, just remove them. I never use a SP to salvage anything smaller than a battleship-sized ship anyways... you do not gain enough SPs to waste on ships you can buy for a few bucks (at that point, you are super rich and can buy anything). The game would still generate the same amount of ships, but you would be able to salvage them without a SP and some only salvageable with the salvage unlock or a SP.

hdnfbp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 05:36:09 PM »

I can't see your point mate, you want to don't have a OPTION? Like, just don't recover them, when you get the salvage you will still get their resources

Greywolf2001ca

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2021, 07:11:23 AM »

No, I would remove the ships that cannot be salvaged at all from the game, and maybe increase the number of salvageable ones a bit to get more chances. increase yields of debris fields from battle by the amount of things dropped by those unsalvageable ships. Then place SPs options on the heavily damaged ships of cruiser size or bigger ONLY. Destroyers and smaller ships are super easy to buy or find, even early in the game. Within one hour of gameplay, you can go from one ship to a dozen.

Nameless

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2021, 07:44:07 AM »

So you originally complained about SP gating your scavenging process and now you are saying within 1 hour you get dozens of ships? Do you even know what you are complaining about?

All SP is let you scavenge derelict a lot easier if anything, not harder.
Pages: 1 [2]