Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Toggle move slowly  (Read 1941 times)

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
Toggle move slowly
« on: April 04, 2021, 08:23:45 AM »

Now that "move slowly" is used much more often with the changes to asteroid fields/belts, being able to toggle "move slowly" instead of always having to keep it pressed down would be very welcome. Maybe double-tapping it would toggle it on/off?
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Toggle move slowly
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 08:33:40 AM »

That would be less useful than current behavior. Move slowly is not applied instantly. Optimal usage is to activate before the obstacle, when you are just far enough to fully brake before entering it and then disable immediately after exiting.

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 08:46:40 AM »

That would be less useful than current behavior. Move slowly is not applied instantly. Optimal usage is to activate before the obstacle, when you are just far enough to fully brake before entering it and then disable immediately after exiting.

It wouldn't replace current behaviour, just exist alongside it. I also use it before reaching the obstacle but I don't see how that makes having to hold it down all the way until you're out of danger zone not annoying. Currently I'm having to use an autohotkey macro to make it work like a toggle to not hate my fingers but that's not ideal as it prevents it working as "press down" for when I want it to. Double-tap is, I think, a good way to have both.
30$

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 08:50:11 AM »

If you are in hyperspace or an unclaimed system, Go Dark works the same as Move Slowly

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 07:02:26 PM »

If you are in hyperspace or an unclaimed system, Go Dark works the same as Move Slowly

It doesn't actually. Go Dark cancels Sustained Burn causing you to have to turn it back on afterwards, along with the small slowdown before Sustained Burn fully activates. It doesn't transition smoothly like slowing down does, so even in places where you don't need your transponder on, Go Dark isn't an equivalent to it.
30$

Sandor057

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 07:13:26 AM »

I wholeheartedly second this. Either to have a toggle, or to have a max speed setting for your fleet, which it doesn't exceed as long as it is set.