Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Misguided Difficulty  (Read 5701 times)

Radicaljack

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Misguided Difficulty
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2021, 10:59:18 PM »

I'd just wait to see the results of the officer spam fixes, if not better then i think it'll need balancing on the skills themselves, i feel like the frigate one is a bit insane.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2021, 06:17:06 AM »

Well, nothing is stopping you from using your brain in Starsector.

You have Afflictor and Harbinger. Both are major "buff/debuff" assets. Very rewarding as a tactical-minded player controlled ships.

Honestly, I'm not even understand all that fuss about difficulty. The major rule of the naval combat is to not play by the rules of the strongest force. Because you can't win. That's all. For some reason, everybody decided to outdeploy the ai. What could possibly go wrong?..

sector_terror

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2021, 10:20:30 AM »

You have Afflictor and Harbinger. Both are major "buff/debuff" assets. Very rewarding as a tactical-minded player controlled ships.

Honestly, I'm not even understand all that fuss about difficulty. The major rule of the naval combat is to not play by the rules of the strongest force. Because you can't win. That's all. For some reason, everybody decided to outdeploy the ai. What could possibly go wrong?..

If I have to use cheese and have all chocie taken away from me and outright use the most broken thing I can find and give up on everything else, then the game is poorly balanced. Saying "well if you use this AI exploit and this broken ship..." as an argument that it's balanced as if every other choice doesn't exist, is not a good argument.

Hatter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2021, 12:47:51 PM »

If I have to use cheese and have all chocie taken away from me and outright use the most broken thing I can find and give up on everything else, then the game is poorly balanced. Saying "well if you use this AI exploit and this broken ship..." as an argument that it's balanced as if every other choice doesn't exist, is not a good argument.
At what point does optimization become choicelessness? You have a myriad amount of choices, but not every single choice is equal. Therefore some choices will be better then others. The problem is when there is only one successful path to success, because then there aren't really any choices. I disagree with the idea that there's only one way. I don't believe the harbinger is mandatory and have cleared the game without it because you can use the
Spoiler
Zig
[close]
instead. Though I feel having at least a couple frigates is almost mandatory now. They serve as an excellent distraction and have the speed to engage and disengage at leisure. Fights become much easier because the enemy devotes a disproportionate amount of ships to try to chase them down.

While you raise an interesting point that the AI doesn't have to worry about ships blown up the same way a player does, I feel it overlooks the fact that the AI has far less agency then the player. The player can assess and choose engagements: conversely, the AI is a static target or only engages on scripted events. The player is expected to have an accurate assessment of their own capabilities and relative capabilities of the enemy so they don't get their entire fleet blown up.

That being said, what is your fleet and what fights are you having trouble in that you feel should not be happening? Elite bounties? Random pirate fleets? [REDACTED]?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 03:20:39 PM by Hatter »

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2021, 02:27:14 PM »

What do you even mean by "cheese", "broken", "give up on everything else" and "AI exploit"? I hope that you do not want to say that Afflictor/Harbinger can solo any fleet in the game? Ans if don't what else?

Anvel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2021, 03:35:43 PM »

Guys changes made to give ai at least some chances and to reduce cheesiness and boresome of late game, you have build-in mods, op weapons, you can customize ships and officers whatever you want. Plane your fleet, your ships must be able to kill the enemy that faster than them and to be able to outrun who they can't kill, a bunch of big slow ships gets outplayed and slaughtered.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 03:39:00 PM by Anvel »

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2021, 04:57:37 PM »

Not talking about how difficult a game is, which IMO, is actually easier in this version then before. The problem is that the difficulty now lies more in stats outside of fights than what can happen in fights, and there is less ways to over come it than before.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2021, 10:02:51 PM »

Like number of officers or empire building?

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2021, 10:41:09 PM »

Both ships are phase ships.  Both ships are "twitchy" ships.  I strongly dislike piloting twitchy ships, and I loathe the Phase ship playstyle.  As a result, neither warship is remotely rewarding to me, even when they work.  (I trend more strongly towards tactical-minded player than say direct-combat or "arcade-style" player, in part because I really don't care for cutthroat high-speed action that speed demon ships require.)

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2021, 10:53:46 PM »

Nothing is stopping you from not placing any armament in them while focusing solely on the system usage. This is their strongest points. Not guns.

Plan9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2021, 01:55:21 AM »

The 90% ecm in those fleets is almost all coming from frigates with gunnery implants officers (6% ecm per officered frigate). Once that issue is resolved (Alex has already said he's making the ecm part elite so the AI will be much less likely to have it.), the situation should be much more manageable.

Hopefully he does the same with the +25% sensor range part of the Sensors skill since it makes most stealth-reliant missions a pain and some literally impossible.

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2021, 02:08:08 AM »

The 90% ecm in those fleets is almost all coming from frigates with gunnery implants officers (6% ecm per officered frigate). Once that issue is resolved (Alex has already said he's making the ecm part elite so the AI will be much less likely to have it.), the situation should be much more manageable.

Hopefully he does the same with the +25% sensor range part of the Sensors skill since it makes most stealth-reliant missions a pain and some literally impossible.
I think the biggest problem comes from sensor arrays in-system providing a massive boost to sensor range that you can't really do anything about. I think the suggestion that I liked was having hacking the sensor array remove the buff from the other factions when it comes to sensor range. If that's the case, going dark with phase ships would make your detection range quite small.

Plan9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2021, 04:22:01 AM »

I think the biggest problem comes from sensor arrays in-system providing a massive boost to sensor range that you can't really do anything about. I think the suggestion that I liked was having hacking the sensor array remove the buff from the other factions when it comes to sensor range. If that's the case, going dark with phase ships would make your detection range quite small.

Yeah, but when you have several fast pickets with 5-7 officers each circling the target it adds up. I spent the entire mission duration of a spysat deployment hiding in a nearby asteroid belt with an all-phase fleet with a sensor profile of less than 50 and there not a single instant when the target was clear of enemy sensors. Though the orbital sensor array certainly didn't help and I like the idea you mention, it would be nice to be able to disable it without going to war with the controlling faction.
Pages: 1 [2]