Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: 165hz monitor.Game caps at 144 fps even when changing json settings  (Read 893 times)

wsdude

• Ensign
    • View Profile

It's not the extra 20 fps thats bothering but why is the game capping itself like that? https://imgur.com/a/wSE8Iox

I occasionally see the fps go up as high as 159 fps for split seconds but most of the time it says around the 144 cap.

The json settings are:
"vsync":false,
"fps":160, # fps only used if vsync is false

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 165hz monitor.Game caps at 144 fps even when changing json settings
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 03:29:21 PM »

Hmm - if vsync is off in game settings, then the game is not doing it. Perhaps your graphics settings (via NVIDIA control panel, or equivalent) are set to force vsync on anyway? Or some recording or otherwise video/graphics-related software is intermittently forcing it on? I want to say I've seen that happen before. It's definitely something external to the game, though.

wsdude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 05:58:00 PM »

Hmm - if vsync is off in game settings, then the game is not doing it. Perhaps your graphics settings (via NVIDIA control panel, or equivalent) are set to force vsync on anyway? Or some recording or otherwise video/graphics-related software is intermittently forcing it on? I want to say I've seen that happen before. It's definitely something external to the game, though.

have v-sync enabled globally because of g-sync.Still the maximum should be 160 since i have an fps limit of 160 globally for my 165hz monitor.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 06:05:38 PM »

If vsync is on anyway, you might want to set vsync:true in settings.json. If the game thinks vsync is off, but it's forced on, I can see how it might lead to a not super stable framerate occasionally. There's no reason why it'd specifically cap to 144, though - that has to be something system-related.

wsdude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 11:44:19 PM »

If vsync is on anyway, you might want to set vsync:true in settings.json. If the game thinks vsync is off, but it's forced on, I can see how it might lead to a not super stable framerate occasionally. There's no reason why it'd specifically cap to 144, though - that has to be something system-related.

No difference.Still mostly stays at around 144fps and randomly goes above it  occasionally.Wierd coz its the only game that does this.