Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can we get a checkbox that lets us choose our gender in character-creation?  (Read 4048 times)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community

doing how Sunless Sea / Sunless Skies did could be another easy option. Asks how would you like to be called. Options included "Sir", "Ma'am", "Captain", "Citizen", "Doctor" etc etc...

and Skies had this neat stuff where there was a visitor log in which you could sign with a new one to use any time.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile

An extra option for flavour can't hurt anyone, that said some of you guys here are looking waaaaay to hard into just simple games. Take a step back and realize what is the whole point of said games, I'm sure no sane dev will intentionally try to promote mass murder or anything else mentioned here. Keep the conspiracy theories out of game forums please.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community

I'm sure no sane dev will intentionally try to promote mass murder or anything else mentioned here. Keep the conspiracy theories out of game forums please.
unintentional things still can do harm or be offensive, though - and I definitely wouldn't call any of the discussion here "conspiracy theory".

That being said, while it is an important aspect for the game designs to consider, it is also getting quite off-topic, so...

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

You could do more productive things, like satbombing hegemony for AI inspections. Alex will probably do this. Eventually.

Volfgarix

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

This is an entirely reasonable request that can end up rubbing people the wrong way even when it's phrased well.
With all that political agitation in the internet? It's guaranteed, especially if you mention "other" gender and don't explain it's supposed to mean a robot or something similar. It's a crapstorm just begging to blow up and there is no way to win here, you either silence the discussion somehow(which could lead to even more trouble) or go corporate and nod your head and pretend to care.

Edit: But giving male/female choices for suited up portraits is a safe way.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 06:57:44 AM by Volfgarix »

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Gender doesn't matter too much in english translation. After all your main character is easily referenced as a genderless "hey you" or "commander", while english verbs and adjectives are inherently genderless. In other languages gender is mixed into far more words, so it is important to know if you are flying(male) or flying(female).

Seems like appropriate thing for translation support.

Yendorc

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Gender doesn't matter too much in english translation. After all your main character is easily referenced as a genderless "hey you" or "commander", while english verbs and adjectives are inherently genderless. In other languages gender is mixed into far more words, so it is important to know if you are flying(male) or flying(female).

Seems like appropriate thing for translation support.

Again, there are enough parts where you are called "ma'am" or "sir" depending on your portrait selection.

if it were only "sir", I literally would not have known that the portrait resembling master-chief is indeed considered female in the gamefiles.

so yeah, I agree, if it WERE like you said, I'd have no problem. but there ARE gender specific greetings ingame already.

for example when you actually read the dialogue a certain Manta-ray gets:

Or here, when trying to talk to good old Baird:

so in short:

the whole gender thing is *ingame* already.
All I ask is that the player actually can choose if the helmeted bloke he pics wants to be called Ma'am or sir.
And not let the game decide for the player.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 08:54:18 AM by Yendorc »
Pages: 1 [2]