Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ramming?  (Read 4279 times)

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
Ramming?
« on: April 04, 2012, 07:04:30 PM »

I recently had the revelation that bumping into other ships will deal some damage, so I decided to actually try that as a tactic against the Onslaughts in the Hegemony Defense Force. It's pretty useful for bumping them away from my carriers, but I mean... IT DOESN'T DO DAMAGE!

I would understand that smaller ships wouldn't do too much damage bumping against another ship's hull/shield, but what about a cruiser? An Apogee with augmented engines slamming into the rear of an Onslaught does somewhere around 150-ish damage, tops. So... Why so weak? Collisions would seem like a much more interesting mechanic in the game if they did something else other than bump other ships.

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Ramming?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 07:08:38 PM »

Shield ramming is pretty effective from what little I have seen, but it would be very cool to see some dedicated ramming equipment.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »

Try the Aurora, with augmented engines and auxiliary thrusters, also add some shield upgrades to it. Have fun.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 03:17:44 AM »

If you're not opposed to mods, try flying into something with an Oort. Oh lord.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 04:31:59 AM »

I had a bit of an odd idea about this whole shield ramming business, not sure if it will actually fit into the game but here goes:

What if there was a hull modification that allowed small ships (like frigates and some of the faster destroyers) to charge their shields, and upon ramming another ship the stored energy is released either doing direct damage or just EMP type damage, on top of the damage actually inflicted by the impact itself.

As i said, not sure if this will actually fit in the game, but i don't think there should be any balancing issues?

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 04:41:01 AM »

It would make taking on caps with a little ship even more thrilling that's for sure.