Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Please split the Galatian quest chain  (Read 1427 times)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Please split the Galatian quest chain
« on: April 02, 2021, 07:47:53 AM »

The Galatian Academy quest chain is an incredibly long (took me 5 hours?), mostly linear chain of mostly fetch quests. The first time around it's quite fun because of all the reading to do, but I can't imagine anyone being happy to do it twice. Its existence severely limits the replayability the game has, and Starsector has been known to be a highly replayable game so far. The chain can hardly be ignored either, because of how improtant the rewards are. (Cue people commenting about how you can find the alpha site without the quest as if it's not a 1 in a 1.000.000 random chance).

Proposed solution: split the chain into multiple independent shorter chains. Neutrino detector, Transverse Jumping, Alpha Site, At the Gates. Maybe lock some of them behind player level requirements so people don't rush them.

On a somewhat related note, it's really lame that quests that award abilities have no special reward if you already know the ability from a skill. Would be nice to have upgraded versions for people with both. (Transverse Jump can charge faster, Neutrino Detector can no longer give false readings).

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Please split the Galatian quest chain
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 08:29:46 AM »

I got an intel 'scrap' from the flagship of a bounty fleet that pointed to the Alpha Site long before I even touched any of the Academy stuff, so it's not exactly random.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Please split the Galatian quest chain
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 09:27:15 AM »

I got a survey request to survey the alpha site and it simply can’t be done, ouch.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.