Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: pathetic DP balance, is QA and playtest not part of the dev cycle?  (Read 15354 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: pathetic DP balance, is QA and playtest not part of the dev cycle?
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2021, 12:24:41 AM »

Hey Alex, since Remnants used to be undercosted DP-wise because they were meant to be a boss faction and be harder to fight, now that officers are more important, they could be more fairly statted. 60 DP Radiant would also help make it more viable to take anything else but Radiant with Automated Ships skill...

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2021, 12:53:18 AM »

Hey Alex, since Remnants used to be undercosted DP-wise because they were meant to be a boss faction and be harder to fight, now that officers are more important, they could be more fairly statted. 60 DP Radiant would also help make it more viable to take anything else but Radiant with Automated Ships skill...

Yeah, this makes sense. Remnants don't really need reduced DP cost on Radiant in addition to all the other advantages they now have.
Automated Ships skill with higher cap would become more proper choice between Radiant and several smaller ships.

Golde

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2021, 01:41:24 AM »

That's also part of the outline in the original post.

@Alex I know you're a one man studio, but can we expect more than 10 minutes of playtest and no QA out of the 2 years it took you to bring this update to the table?

Barring Safety Overrides or some other unbalanced cheese like derelict contingency (that also somehow slips right through QA) a lowtech fleet at your ideal 180 DP is just straight up not playable against endgame remnant ordos sauntering about with 4 radiants and 20+ officers.

Just a quick glance at all these glaring issues that people have brought up over the past week makes it obvious that, no, the game is not just rough around the edges, slightly overtuned or needs a little polish. It's no QA and no playtest.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2021, 03:53:13 AM »

pity mode
Oh please no, i just want my sense of progression back after hours of grind, i don't want easy, relaxed, or whatever difficulty that make the game walk in the park.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2021, 04:18:44 AM »

You need like 4 frigates to solve this (DP) problem? I don't want to sound dismissive of the whole issue, but I can't see how its that big of a deal.. You guys talk like you will spontaneously combust by adding a few tempests to cap points for extra DP. The remnant fleet is dominating you so badly because they actually have ships that dont move at the pace of a snail and can grab objectives.

If we are going to chime in with our opinions, I think the current system is 100 times better than the previous and drastically makes using smaller ships more enjoyable vs lol capital capital capital steamroll. I do have a gripe with the mass of AI officers that show up in some fleets, but afaik that's already being looked into.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 04:25:36 AM by shoi »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2021, 05:13:09 AM »

Problem is, all DP-scaling skill cap out too low.
At 400 battlesize, I have 160 guaranteed DP and up to 80-120 more from capturables. All skills cap out at just 180 at most, and that's total fleet size, not just deployed part.

Golde

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2021, 07:46:42 AM »

You need like 4 frigates to solve this (DP) problem?.. the current system is 100 times better than the previous and drastically makes using smaller ships more enjoyable vs lol capital capital capital steamroll.

Because this is lazy game design. On one hand, you are gated from competing at all without officered frigates (which is still kind of a waste). And on the other, just bypass the entire mechanic with two gremlins ontop of everything else wrong with it.

I endorse most if not all the buffs to frigates this release brought because it gave them a role in the fleet. Not this kind of arbitrary mechanic to artificially inflate its value as a do-it or die single use appliance to be kept in the back of the trunk at all times.

Dex

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2021, 09:28:49 AM »

Golde, youre making everyone bite their tongues here dude. Stop with the the stropping. I didnt make it past 'its lazy game design' until i didnt read the rest of your last comment. Youre entitled to your opinion, but seriously, tone it down and people may actually respect your opinion more.

Golde

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2021, 10:08:56 AM »

Golde, youre making everyone bite their tongues here dude. Stop with the the stropping. I didnt make it past 'its lazy game design' until i didnt read the rest of your last comment. Youre entitled to your opinion, but seriously, tone it down and people may actually respect your opinion more.

The cosmos is a diverse place. I am not some esteemed individual trying to hold some sort of title.

I simply state what I find, they need not to be respected nor am I looking for your approval. They only exist to be read.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2021, 10:11:43 AM »

Yeah, this makes sense. Remnants don't really need reduced DP cost on Radiant in addition to all the other advantages they now have.
Automated Ships skill with higher cap would become more proper choice between Radiant and several smaller ships.
If Special Modifications exploited at full power is really strong, why does the Radiant need to be weakened for player use?  It is overpowered for its cost, but that would be a good price to pay for not having +1 s-mods and boosted flux stats for the whole fleet.

Golde

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2021, 10:22:37 AM »

If Special Modifications exploited at full power is really strong, why does the Radiant need to be weakened for player use?  It is overpowered for its cost, but that would be a good price to pay for not having +1 s-mods and boosted flux stats for the whole fleet.

I second this, because it is generally wrong to balance one extreme with another extreme. While this successfully makes the remnants stronger, it will also increase the disparity in snowballing every other faction you fight.

Dex

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2021, 10:27:44 AM »

Whats the point of the silly grandstanding with sesquipedalian loquaciousness?

You state what you find? Then i must 'state' that i 'find' your opinions are worded to be almost insulting and completely unnecessary. It, at the very least, dilutes ones opinion of your opinion. At worst paints you as an a*****e to be ignored.

Thats all im gonna say

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2021, 10:59:18 AM »

I feel like the problem with radiant DP is that it is out of line with the other redacted ships. Like the threshold for the skill has to be vey low to accommodate the Radiant meaning the skill is underpowered unless you take a radiant. So just nerf the radiant DP and increase the skill threshold. Then the skill will still be good, and you might actually want to do something else besides take a single radiant with an alpha core.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2021, 11:03:20 AM »

@ Golde: Tone down your laguage please, you come of as overly agressive and confrontational.

@ Dex: Please do not engage in personal attacks and leave the moderating to the moderators.

I'll be watching this thread.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Dex

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2021, 11:16:52 AM »

Took one for the team, but yeah, apologies for overstepping.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7