Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What personality is applied when you put your flagship on autopilot?  (Read 2470 times)

hqz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I think it's doing a decent job (compared to my own skills) but I'm wondering what officer personality it corresponds to. And if it's possible to tune this.

Nimiety

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: What personality is applied when you put your flagship on autopilot?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 06:03:36 PM »

All unofficered ships and your flag on autopilot use your faction aggression settings. Change it in the same menu that lets you change patrol fleet compositions. It affects all unofficered ships though, no way to just affect the flag far as I can tell.

Salter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 11:41:16 PM »

All unofficered ships and your flag on autopilot use your faction aggression settings. Change it in the same menu that lets you change patrol fleet compositions. It affects all unofficered ships though, no way to just affect the flag far as I can tell.

Kind of got to ask but if unofficered ships can be set to any AI you want then whats the point of officers having a set AI? I get that its probably a balance thing but its very impractical and makes you burn a story point('s) just to change it.

hqz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 01:04:47 AM »

Thanks for info.

I think I am okay with my flagship as steady for now since I don't use an SO build. I just wanted to confirm it was not something else. And for the other ships without an officer in my fleet, I use the Automated Commands mod to override their personality anyway.

WildWazoo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 01:43:39 AM »

I think the first advantages of officers is they have skills that improve ship performance a very meaningful amount. 

Second, Ships with officers seem to be a lot more aware of the tactical situation in the line of battle, and factors that into its target selection.

Im not sure of how the AI is actually coded, but the implementation seems to create the following emergent behaviors.

Risk awareness:  the AI is aware of other ships weapons and ranges and flux level and assigns a level of risk to areas of space around opponent ships.  The aggressiveness setting seems to adjust how much risk an AI is willing to tolerate to employ its weapons, and for how long it is willing to tolerate it.  The line of battle that forms is an emergent behavior of ships trying to employ weapons while trying to not stray into areas of overlapping enemy fire that are too risky.

Vulnerability awareness.  AI seems to be aware when opponents are flux locked or flamed out, and will accept higher risk to exploit the vulnerability.  It’s also aware of its own vulnerability, and will back away to safety if it when that happens.  General AI also appears to be aware of nearby ally ship vulnerability, and will act to assist where it can.

Where I think officered ships differ from general ships is that the officers are aware of the risk pressure it and allied ships are exerting on the enemy, and will try to sometimes engage the enemy at greater risk to try and get a kill or to break up the line of battle stalemate.  General ships just try to employ their weapons based on their risk tolerance, maneuverability, and flux level.

Just my opinions based on my observations 100 or so hours into gameplay.

P.S.  my son and I are very impressed with the quality of AI in this game.  It’s somewhat predictable at times, and occasionally does dumb things, but it is competent and tough to exploit.  The developers did a great job making interesting spaceship combat
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 01:52:02 AM by WildWazoo »

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 02:52:03 AM »

Not quite true, apparently.
Your flagship on autopilot is supposedly always Steady.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 04:46:39 AM »

Your flagship on autopilot is supposedly always Steady.
That should change.  Should at least match fleet doctrine.  Steady is not good for expected warship behavior.  Steady should be used for what should be "Cautious", and Aggressive for what should be "Steady".

Putting Timid on flagship would be nice for those Hound flagships with Operations Center and watch AI fleet do all the fighting.

Supraluminal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 07:31:23 AM »

I know there's a consensus that Aggressive is closer to what should be the default AI behavior, but I have a real reservation about that. Most importantly, my understanding is that an Aggressive AI will try hard to close distance until all of its weapons are in range of its target, including PD weapons. There are a lot of designs where that is just a flat-out bad idea.

I think I could get on board with the default AI behaviors for flux management and tactical movement getting nudged towards Aggressive, but there is no reason for most ships to be driving up to Vulcan range of their target.

hqz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 07:44:46 AM »

In case this is helpful to the discussion, I found this recently to describe the inputs for AI behavior: https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/AI_Behaviour

(hopefully this is still somewhat up to date)