Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [0.95a] Objects Analysis 002  (Read 19921 times)

Harpuea

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
[0.95a] Objects Analysis 002
« on: April 01, 2021, 10:18:13 AM »

An ability to detects all possible non planetary objects that can reflected by Neutrino Detector within range, but doesn't give you the location. I have been using this for myself a few years now. You still need to use Neutrino Detector if you want to pin point the object. Often times I find myself visiting an empty system. Rather than wasting time wandering around or save scumming, this allows the player to quickly determine if there is indeed anything that can be found and improve the gameplay loop.

Can Be Safely Added and Removed Mid-Game

How to Use: Bind the ability to a slot and simply hover the cursor over the ability to get a read out, no other action is needed.

Objects that are detectable includes: Derelict Ships, Weapons/Supply Cache, Mining/Research Station, etc.

Known Bugs
-Objects inside an asteroids belt flickers in and out of existence. (Reduced in 002)
-Warning Beacons in hyperspace are all detected.

Change Log
Spoiler
001: Initial Public Release 01 April, 2021
002: Reduce flicker, added code for Mid-Game load in mod plugin. 04 April, 2021
[close]

Download Objects Analysis Version 002: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcr17vypskmaexe/Objects%20Analysis%20002.rar?dl=0
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 10:34:01 PM by Harpuea »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Objects Analysis 001
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 05:20:57 PM »

Incredibly useful utility mod for explorers w/out feeling cheaty. Thank you for my new must have.

D00D

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 06:21:56 PM »

Is there a way to add this to an existing character? Maybe a console command from that mod?

Harpuea

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 10:21:04 PM »

Is there a way to add this to an existing character? Maybe a console command from that mod?

I haven't found a way to import abilities mid game. Sorry.

NikoTheGuyDude

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 08:30:29 PM »

I haven't found a way to import abilities mid game. Sorry.

Take a look at supply forging, it adds an ability mid-game.

Harpuea

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 09:31:12 PM »

Take a look at supply forging, it adds an ability mid-game.

Thanks for the heads up, it is really simple after all.

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 03:04:41 AM »

Possible issue with mods that add's abilities as the ability doesn't appear on mine after starting a new game.

Harpuea

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 10:33:45 PM »

Possible issue with mods that add's abilities as the ability doesn't appear on mine after starting a new game.

What other ability mods are you using?

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 12:30:06 AM »

What other ability mods are you using?

I have the following:

- Boggled Terraforming and Station Construction which adds the ability to build stations, 4 abilities added.
- Kenington's Capture Officers and Crew, adds an ability that lets you deal with your "prisoners". 1 ability added.
- Techpriest's Supply Forging, adds the ability to create supply from scrap metals. 1 ability added.
- Sundog's Fuel Siphoning, adds the ability to create fuel from supplies. 1 ability added.

Maybe there is a hard limit to the number of abilities?

Harpuea

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 01:09:21 PM »

I run those mods as well. It's right here. Did you activate the mod in the mod list? Did you assign the mod onto the abilities bar?

[attachment deleted by admin]

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Objects Analysis 002
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 11:32:16 PM »

Sorry, I forgot to mention I also have Sundog's Hyperdrive mod.

Anyways, It just doesn't appear as shown on this picture.

[attachment deleted by admin]

0xCAFEBABE

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 07:43:12 PM »

How could I play Starsector without this mod!
Going to test compatibility with 0.95.1a.

Euripides

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2022, 03:27:52 PM »

Personally I would just roll this functionality into the sensor ping ability:

Simple version:
- remove the list of items detected
- always get a return ping cue if there's something, somewhere in the system; no range limit

More complex:
- provide directional audio cue to the return ping; closer objects have faster and louder return ping sounds, further away becomes indistinct and muffled. Different objects have different sounds
- provide imprecise visual cue to the return ping; closer objects have stronger visual cue and narrower directional arc. Different objects have different colors
- possibly also some method of filtering returns, e.g. if you don't want to detect in-system fleets, or planetary orbitals

Encourages people to ping from 2-5 points in the system to pinpoint objects in the worst case. Maybe even make the system map interact-able so you can write on it.

This incorporates two human senses, mimics how signals are triangulated in real life, requires little more mechanics than simply hitting the ping button, makes it easier to know if a system is empty, makes it easier to pinpoint objects, makes it easier to know imprecisely what the object is. May come with the downside of busy systems having so many ping results you lose the signal in noise.

I honestly think the entire sensor system needs a rework from the ground up. Highfleet's radar mechanics are amazing and fun and should be design/mechanic inspiration for a starsector sensor rework.

pearagon

• Ensign
  • im into resting
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 04:14:25 PM »

Great idea, I've been wanting another option instead of the perfect neutrino detector. Personally, I enjoy a challenge and higher difficulty in my runs and using only the tools available in vanilla is just tedious, but being aware of all objects in hyperspace and system instantly, in real time, and with no cost or drawback feels unbalanced and goes against the spirit of the challenge. My suggestions are:

1. As someone previously mentioned, change the ability from an inactive passive ability to an active ability like the sensor pulse.
2. Add a volatile cost per activation balanced around the expected volatile cost of using a neutrino detector to fully explore the average system. Estimating that average is probably impractical, so let's say 10 or 20 volatiles (or a configurable amount) per activation.
3. Magnify the sensor profile of the fleet like the sensor pulse and neutrino detector do. If a volatile cost is implemented, the sensor profile could be boosted X times, with X being the volatile cost.
4. In hyperspace, limit the range to a fixed value or value dependent on sensor strength. An unbound range like it currently functions returns a truncated list of the multitude of warning beacons and derelict ships when in hyperspace.

Great work!

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2022, 03:49:17 AM »

Very much appreciate the minimalist design of giving the player an option to know there's something in system, and leaving it up to them if they want to spend the time/effort looking for it.
Mod is absolutely fine exactly the way it is.

Pages: [1] 2 3