Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 2310 times)

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
Pet Peeves
« on: March 31, 2021, 04:06:17 PM »

Okay, really enjoying 0.95 but I have a few nagging issues. Hopefully, Alex can address them sooner than another 2-year cycle or there's a solution I'm missing.

1. New bar quest. Would it possible to hyperlink the system in question onto the galactic map? Just a name and distance isn't good enough if I just want to pick up a bounty or something on the way to a real job. Is there a search function for a particular sector?

2. Can we update the galactic map with better Ion storm location as we explore the further? I get at the beginning astrograph/fog of war is bad and you are playing magellan but once you've found a nice safe route to one side of the map tucked away among wild storms, I really don't want to keep remembering where the entrance is. I know the mini-map is somewhat more accurate but its distance coverage is too small. Oh, apparently the new 'going slow' can mitigate storm damage. Need to confirm that later.

3. Are the factions able to colonize beyond their starting planets yet? I know some mods have coded in expansions so I was hoping 0.95 would change up the map a bit in late game. Or is it a mistake to sell all the class-V data to pirates rather than my own faction?  :P

4. Is it possible to check the price of items on another planet within the system you are in? I mean, you can see max/min prices of certain items from across the galaxy if you right click it but it can't show me the price of food on a planet next door?

5. Neutrino scanner. AARGH!

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 06:41:16 PM »

1. New bar quest. Would it possible to hyperlink the system in question onto the galactic map? Just a name and distance isn't good enough if I just want to pick up a bounty or something on the way to a real job. Is there a search function for a particular sector?

Yeah, that one's really bad. Unless you have photographic memory, you have to decline, go to the map, find the system (no search box to type into, natch), then go back in the pub to accept the mission if it's in the direction you want to go. A link to the map would be great, but even just specifying direction in addition to distance would help a lot here.

4. Is it possible to check the price of items on another planet within the system you are in? I mean, you can see max/min prices of certain items from across the galaxy if you right click it but it can't show me the price of food on a planet next door?

And ships! If I'm shopping around to buy a specific ship, why make me go door to door like it's 1947? Does TriTach not run a spyware-laden, private-data-gathering search engine on their tablets that everyone is using?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 06:50:33 PM by Sordid »

WastedAlmond

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 04:35:11 PM »

For now the most annoying little pet peeve is when I'm at 100 rep cooperative, and some crappy little fleet of two patrol boats stops my death ball to make an inspection. And proceed to do the "wreck my ***" excuse for an investigation, again with me having a 100 rep and with priority contacts in the faction.

It kinda feels a bit off on the immersion/reactivity side, at this point lower downs should be bending over backwards to not hurt a valuable ally who has high up contacts in gov as well. God forbid the crappy 5 ship fleet damages the CR of my bigger combat ships, we're on the brink of war at that point. Also there should be a logical limit as to how damaging a small inspection fleet can be, its a matter of manpower at that point. For a couple dozen guys to reasonably make a dent aboard an onslaught, while doing anything remotely passing as an inspection, would take months.

Getting up to cooperative isn't terribly hard, but it should still be acknowledged a little bit more.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 12:32:15 AM »

Random tiny 'fleets' consisting of single digits of ships which cannot meaningfully threaten me in any possible way can prevent me from salvaging or interacting with things just by existing on the same screen.

The same random tiny 'fleets' which are so small they could not possibly stop me doing anything, can somehow force me to engage a hostile station which then costs multiple hundred supplies to disengage from. And there's no option to throw green points at it either.

<player> was recently accosted by flies.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 01:56:20 AM »

2. Can we update the galactic map with better Ion storm location as we explore the further? I get at the beginning astrograph/fog of war is bad and you are playing magellan but once you've found a nice safe route to one side of the map tucked away among wild storms, I really don't want to keep remembering where the entrance is. I know the mini-map is somewhat more accurate but its distance coverage is too small. Oh, apparently the new 'going slow' can mitigate storm damage. Need to confirm that later.
Turn starscape off. The button is on the bottom of the map in the map screen.

3. Are the factions able to colonize beyond their starting planets yet? I know some mods have coded in expansions so I was hoping 0.95 would change up the map a bit in late game. Or is it a mistake to sell all the class-V data to pirates rather than my own faction?  :P
Factions were never meant to expand and most likely never will.

And ships! If I'm shopping around to buy a specific ship, why make me go door to door like it's 1947? Does TriTach not run a spyware-laden, private-data-gathering search engine on their tablets that everyone is using?
Ships and weapons, considering weapon rarity is most often is "one stack of 5-8 hidden away on some particular planet".

tseikk1

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 03:11:33 AM »

Non-even numbers in ship stats. I don't know why, but it annoys me beyond reason when a ship of mine has, say, 414 seconds of peak performance time, 136 cargo capacity, 519 flux dissipation, and so on. I'd much rather have them end in a zero, it just feels better.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 02:22:01 PM »

Turn starscape off. The button is on the bottom of the map in the map screen.

This still doesn't resolve it though - even with starscape turned off the main map shows solid hyperstorms where there are, in fact, small passageways to fit through.  It would be amazing to be able to record those somehow.

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 05:40:09 AM »

oh, adding one more:

Faction turning hostile with zero warning. If you are on a commission with a faction and doing odd jobs near a 'neutral faction' fleet, I really don't want a hostility notification to be the only warning I have to get the heck out of the system. Same playing trader where your destination station is suddenly hostile.

At least have a "Faction X and Faction Y's relationship is deteriorating due to an outbreak of Z. War is expected to be declared with 30 days" pop up so players can prepare.

Also, give us a reason, even if it's flavor text, why two factions are suddenly at war. This is worse can CIV AI declaring war and peace at a drop of a hat.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 11:26:32 AM »

The combat camera controls (or lack thereof.)  Alex, bro, you're awesome and I love your work here but WHY IN GOD'S NAME IS THE CAMERA LOOSE?  Given that there will basically always be friendly ships on screen I see ZERO reason for the camera to default to an empty spot in space from which you can only pull the view so far in any direction.  The "tethered" camera bugs me because there's literally zero reason to watch an empty spot in space.  The camera should default to a ship at all times.  Focused ship explodes?  Camera switches to another ship.  I mean it's okay to have the option to focus on an area instead of a ship but this game is literally all about the ships and the combat between them; the default state should be tethered to a SHIP.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 12:36:40 PM »

Did you not deploy your flagship? It's kinda unintended (and given officer bonuses, unadvised).

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 05:01:09 PM »

Did you not deploy your flagship? It's kinda unintended (and given officer bonuses, unadvised).

Sometimes your own ship gets popped.