Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bounties Can Get a Bit Excessive  (Read 7501 times)

ZeCaptain

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Bounties Can Get a Bit Excessive
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 08:25:48 PM »

I find the only reliable way to beat lategame remenant fleets is to throw 100+ ships at them and beat them though death by attrition. Their battleship finally died after it ran out PPT.  Why yes I did Just throw 100 SO destroyers at an ordo and lost half of them along with 5k crew for 4 gamma cores.

boredom974

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 09:17:22 PM »

It's not just bounties. As the difficulty scales, every remnant fleet will look like that. This many officers in normal fleets is a pain, but in a remnant fleet its broken. Outnumbered, out-ranged, twice the number of ships with officers that also have many more skills, all while the ships themselves are very strong.

The ECM in particular is really bad. So many remnant ships already could break off from engagements to vent very easily and my ships have even more trouble actually finishing ships off when heavily outranged like this. I could put a bunch of officers on frigates and counter the ECM of fleets with 15 or less officers, but against 20+ officers and 100+ enemy ECM strength, every point I have in ECM is a total waste. I can't ever close that gap without dumping ordnance points into ECM and then I'd just be diluting the strength of my ships and then I'd get slapped anyway.

And sure I can even out the deployment points with some fast frigates or destroyers capping objectives, but my frigates are so thoroughly outdone by the remnant that they are little more than a distraction once the fighting starts. In all my attempts at dealing with these remnant death squads, I don't know if I've seen a single frigate of mine kill a remnant frigate in the opening skirmish of the battle, let alone punching up and contributing to a fight against something bigger.

I could respec into automated ships and get a handful of AI officers in remnant frigates of my own so that I have, 2/3rds the officers that the enemy does at best instead of a miserable half. But I'd have to do more, cheese this and rebuild my whole fleet from the ground up, min-maxing which ships I use and their fittings in really boring ways. Not fun.

Overall, the game was better off with a hard limit on officer numbers and without officers having fleetwide effects through ECM and deployment points.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2021, 01:16:51 AM »

ECM, (weapon range) is one of the most powerful stat in the game.

Before we could roll fleets 5x our own DP without much losses because of that sweet Sweet range advantage.

Now give that larger Emy fleet more officers and reverse the ECM situation...

Feels bad man.

Warnoise

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2021, 01:31:44 AM »

I sincerely wish the officers you find in explorations can be assigned regardless of limit. They are already rare so having them without needing to dismiss your officers is not a bad deal imo.

Similar thing with promotions. You can promote rookies to a full fledged pilot but make them weaker than a real officer, that way you can assign them to ships without counting in the officer pool. They should be around lvl 3. You need to spend a story point to promote them to an officer and that would however count into the officer pool.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 01:38:22 AM by Warnoise »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2021, 01:34:18 AM »

As I understand, initial goal of introducing ECM and CM mechanics was as a countermeasure to player fighting with only single super-ship at a time (when skill were stronger).
I feel like remnant super-ECM fleets don't serve this purpose whatsoever.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2021, 05:11:03 AM »

I've found leadership to be much better than I first thought, so I encourage you to give it a shot. I was pretty surprised myself!

Its only 1 data point, but I did the same hard fight several times with different skill configurations. I'm at around 200 fleet size, and the leadership bonuses from skills leaders ship 1-3, left hand side, had noticeable beneficial effects on performance that made the fight a lot easier.
I do not doubt Leadership can be good.  But if endgame is just capital spam of old PLUS new officer spam, then those small ship boosts will not matter because either fleet is too big or they run out of PPT.  Already, my frigates other than the Remnant frigates are running out of PPT in 150k+ equivalent fights.  (Currently, I have gone Technology and Industry, mainly for campaign QoL.  I just reached level 11, and plan to take Combat skills next.)

I am sure more officers can be good, but I do not want to lock my points into skills I cannot unlearn.  (It is a reason I take Automated Ships instead of Spec.Mod., even if the latter is superior.)  Of the officer skills, the one that increases limit from 8 to 10 seems more useful because player can loot level 7s (although finding enough with the right stats probably takes impractically long time), but can never train his own level 7 from scratch.

Player should be able to train officers to level 7 if the enemy will abuse level 7s themselves.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 05:12:51 AM by Megas »

GenericGoose

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2021, 03:36:56 AM »

you can exceed the officer cap as well, y'know  ;)
the mercenaries you can hire help out a LOT
And player bleeds story points.  I refuse to play that game.  Not unless they become permanent instead of the annual subscription fee.
mercs shouldn't cost story points to hire then. arent sp intended for doing cool stuff? what's so cool and special about paying money to a merc so he works for you? now if you could spend an sp to get them to permanently join your fleet as a regular but very good officer that would make sense.

Demetrious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2021, 04:56:59 AM »

This Unlimited Officer's stuff has to stop.

Volfgarix

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2021, 04:09:44 AM »

ECM should come only from hullmods and map objectives imo. Otherwise it ends with you pilling as many ships possible for the range advantage while having more ships than enemy is an advantage itself already.

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2021, 05:09:09 AM »

With the officer update, the (meta enough originally already) 40 dp Radiant now become way too meta
Ps. am I the only one feel 30 dp for automated ships from the skill too less to take any real effect in fleet.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2021, 05:21:42 AM »

Ps. am I the only one feel 30 dp for automated ships from the skill too less to take any real effect in fleet.
Yes, because with Special Modifications being too good, Radiant should have full CR to compete, not 40-50 something CR.  That is, the pool should be at least 50, assuming Radiant stays at 40 DP and adding alpha core keeps its 10 point tax.

Even Brilliant with a higher-grade core exceeds the cap.

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2021, 05:40:06 AM »

Yes, because with Special Modifications being too good, Radiant should have full CR to compete, not 40-50 something CR.  That is, the pool should be at least 50, assuming Radiant stays at 40 DP and adding alpha core keeps its 10 point tax.

Even Brilliant with a higher-grade core exceeds the cap.
Yeah I'm currently running with a single brilliant with a fully integrated alpha in my fleet, that really don't make any difference except having one extra officer, or maybe that's the point which is meant to be... In case it's not the point, I'll be glad to see an around 50 threshold too, but with Radiant gets nerfed to 50 dp.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2021, 07:00:10 AM »

If Radiant gets nerfed to 50 DP, but pool raised to 50, then cores had better be free on the ship.  With 50 DP Radiant and 10 point core, I want to see pool raised to 60.  If I am giving up +1 s-mod and limit break for flux stats for the whole fleet, I better get something really strong in return.  Full-powered Radiant with max CR is not too much to ask.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2021, 07:10:19 AM »

I mean, I get mercenary officers as a concept - you hire them for setpiece battles, and you drop them for normal combat.

In that case, I think someone's suggestion of hiring them in a large set for a shorter time makes the most sense - you don't need to barhop to get enough firepower, and it will actually be worth the story points above inbuilt hull-mods/colony improvements.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2021, 07:16:24 AM »

I really like the idea of hiring a ragtag bunch of mercenaries at once as well. Makes sense both flavorwise and gameplay-wise. Alex please.

As for the radiant debate, 50% CR is pretty much already "fully powered". With how huge PPT is, it's not going to tick down into malfunction range anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3