Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Am I the only one who thinks the Hyperion is overpowered?  (Read 37670 times)

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one who thinks the Hyperion is overpowered?
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2012, 05:25:48 PM »

Try a Lasher with railguns, you'll love it.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2012, 10:32:03 AM »

Sorry to  bump this up, but i want to show my newfound appreciation for the Hyperion.

I decided this game to stick with a small, maneuvrable and fast fleet, and picked up the Hyperion to see what it can do. Well, a few games later, and i ended up using it as a decoy to pull out all the heavy guns and missiles and keep an entire enemy fleet in place. Literally, the stuff i can pull with the Hyperion is mindblowing. Sure, if i take a good shot on an unshielded surface i'll grind my teeth and hope i survive, but god damn it, with two Antimatter Blasters i can pretty much take on any ship in the game.

And that's aside from the fact that it's a pure blast to play. Eventually i decided to leave my cruisers down to the AI and play just the Hyperion because it's so much fun, and i also have great battlefield flexibility to go where i'm needed.

As an ideea, i run it with:

8caps/10vens
Resistant Flux Conduits
Stabilized Shields
Extended Shields
Integrated Targeting Unit
Augmented engines (250 UNVENTED SPEED FTW)
Advanced Optics

Shooting twin Antimatter Blasters. I can literally stroll straight into battle without giving a single care in the world aslong as i'm not ***. The biggest threat are drones or craft that can keep up with me while shielded
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:57:43 PM by Cosmitz »

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2012, 07:07:33 AM »

Addentum after 0.53.

God blazing damn it, with the new teleporter ability there is not a single care in the world for the Hyperion. Jet out of trouble when i want, jet EXACTLY behind a ship to swiftly disable the engines with dual Blasters, and fighters? HAH, i can even evade drones now, which were my main bane playing the Hyperion.

The only way the ship would be more fun if it teleported with the shields still up. :D Still, might take a bit of timing, but i guess you could teleport and raise shields before enemy turrets swing around to pop shots at you.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2012, 07:34:50 AM »

Still, might take a bit of timing, but i guess you could teleport and raise shields before enemy turrets swing around to pop shots at you.

It's totally possible - if you press shields during teleportation, it will activate exactly the moment you appear. Fast enough to block even burst pd. Same applies to firing - first shot will usually go through before AI can rise omni shield in needed direction.

moontan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2012, 07:40:48 AM »

i like to use Accelerated Shield.

the new Hyperion is a load of fun but frankly, it's a little too much.  ;)

RSS_Ornel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »

lets think about this logically. for the came price as the Hyperion (including outfitting it which can get expensive) you can get a medusa and a midline  frigate and the hyperions teleport advantage is removed as the medusa's phase skimmer can match it toe to toe. The medusas shields are almost as good and the hyperion does *not*  stand a chance.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2012, 11:38:30 AM »

lets think about this logically. for the came price as the Hyperion (including outfitting it which can get expensive) you can get a medusa and a midline  frigate and the hyperions teleport advantage is removed as the medusa's phase skimmer can match it toe to toe. The medusas shields are almost as good and the hyperion does *not*  stand a chance.

You meant AI-piloted Hyperion, right?:) When player-piloted, you don't care for shields at all - medusa won't be able to rise them fast enough to block first shot after teleportation, which is enough if you use heavy/am blasters.

In fact, even AI-piloted can win - though it somewhat misses timing and will successfully bypass shields only with burst pd.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 11:41:12 AM by TaLaR »

RSS_Ornel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2012, 01:40:52 PM »

You meant AI-piloted Hyperion, right?:) When player-piloted, you don't care for shields at all - medusa won't be able to raise them fast enough to block first shot after teleportation, which is enough if you use heavy/am blasters.

In fact, even AI-piloted can win - though it somewhat misses timing and will successfully bypass shields only with burst pd.

I have a reaction time as well and I can teleport away rather quickly so he would miss. even more so when you think that I can teleport to the back of it and hit it with my light assault guns obliterating its armor and shredding what little hull there is under it
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 01:42:45 PM by RSS_Ornel »

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2012, 01:42:34 PM »

Just for kicks i tried out using the omen versus an AI-piloted hyperion and while almost the whole fight was me swinging my shields around to stop his attacks after he teleported ( a lot) i managed to get one emp off on him and suddenly everything on his ship- was offline :D  except his shields which stopped me from doing any damage to him directly but that was pretty much the entire battle it seems the omen can survive better than most other ships against the hyperion which i found interesting. tried some other frigates... other than the tempest and the hound they all got melted and even the hound was eventually destroyed as well. the tempest was pretty much just us running around each other each of us trying to teleport in and get some shots on the other guy, at one point this resulted in us colliding immediately after a teleport which was pretty funny to watch.

this reminded me to go try sinking the bis'mar again with the new systems :D
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2012, 01:51:35 PM »

You meant AI-piloted Hyperion, right?:) When player-piloted, you don't care for shields at all - medusa won't be able to raise them fast enough to block first shot after teleportation, which is enough if you use heavy/am blasters.

I have a reaction time as well and I can teleport away rather quickly so he would miss. even more so when you think that I can teleport to the back of it and hit it with my light assault guns obliterating its armor and shredding what little hull there is under it

Since Hyperion is supposed to be player piloted i meant scenario against AI, as there is no multiplayer:). Agreed,  it is possible to use skimmer as counter to Hyperion, though easiest counter is using Hyperion of your own.

RSS_Ornel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2012, 02:14:37 PM »

Since Hyperion is supposed to be player piloted i meant scenario against AI, as there is no multiplayer:). Agreed,  it is possible to use skimmer as counter to Hyperion, though easiest counter is using Hyperion of your own.
not necessarily as you can "skim" 3 times while you can only teleport once and thus you just wait for the teleport and skim behind the hyperion

moontan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2012, 04:23:36 PM »

it's too easy, jut being able to warp about the combat zone and stealing Nav and Sensor points one after the other.

moontan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2012, 06:07:32 PM »

a combination of things could be made to tone it down a little:
- randomize the location where the ship warps
- make the distance shorter
- makes the charge up time much longer.
as it is now, being able to warp every 5 seconds is just madness!  ;)
i can go from one edge of the map to the other in 5 button click.lol
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:10:23 PM by moontan »

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2012, 07:18:47 PM »

It does feel pretty strong with the teleporting, yeah, but my only real concern, personally, is the quick point capturing. It probably shouldn't outperform interceptors so utterly.

It'd likely work to just require a fairly long initial chargeup/startup time before the teleport system works normally right at the Hyperion's deployment.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2012, 07:41:54 PM »

Buy three Hyperions.  Stack for engine-kill with AM blasters and practically nothing else, because you won't need it.

The teleport needs a much longer recharge time and significant Flux cost before it's remotely balanced, imo; while I've been able to kill single Hyperions in the sim with various Frigates, three of them in a fleet create a dynamic that's so massively OP that it's not even funny, because they're all popping out behind capship Omni coverage and delivering massive damage, then leaving before they've even lost significant shields :-)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7