Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.95a] Longbows can't hit targets after Sabot nerf  (Read 1236 times)

MrFluffster

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
[0.95a] Longbows can't hit targets after Sabot nerf
« on: March 30, 2021, 06:58:42 AM »

As in title. I'm way too lazy to record this, but on multiple occasions I have seen the Longbow shoot their missile loads WAY too far away from the target ship, making it impossible to hit.

Considering the fact that the range stat doesn't seem to be changed from the nerf this is probably from it not being adjusted for the now way way slower missile, as targets "in range" are practically impossible to hit with the missile's new travel speed.
Author of Fluff's Ship Pack. Check it out!
Feel free to hit me up on discord @PMMeCuteBugPhotos#0420

HighTechBestTech

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Longbows can't hit targets after Sabot nerf
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 10:39:50 AM »

I would like to add that I'm having this exact issue, which is why I made this new forum account actually. It's pretty bad, because that Astral I spent a lot of time building doesn't work right now  :(

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 11:41:12 AM »

Hmm - is this vanilla or with mods? I'm just not seeing this issue at all on my end. If you've got a vanilla simulator scenario where I can readily see it, I'd love to take a look.

(Hi and welcome to the forum, btw!)

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 02:02:29 PM »

Same as Alex - I’m not seeing long bow missing a lot except when they try to attack an agile retreating enemy such as a Conquest with ship system engaged.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 01:17:56 AM »

You need a target ship which is moving back then attacked - lots of strike craft ordnance will flame out due to range as they dont account for target fleeing.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 08:37:46 AM »

Ahhh, I see it now, thank you! I wonder what's going wrong there, they're indeed launching at much further off than it seems like they would normally, almost like they're predicting in the opposite direction or something. Made a note to investigate this in a bit.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 10:08:20 AM »

Huh, this is really weird. Apparently, the single-shot Sabots have a flag that makes fighters think they have an extra 500 range. This is clearly intentional, but I don't remember what it was intended to address. It's also clearly having some negative effects. I've removed it and moved the Longbow's place within attack runs a bit further back, since that seems to work better with when it launches the missile now.

HighTechBestTech

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 11:51:01 AM »

I didn't realize Alex himself responded to these posts so quickly. BTW, loving your game. So is this Longbow fix going to be like in the next update or something?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 12:16:00 PM »

Thank you! And, yeah, for the next update - 0.95.1a, which is basically a huge tweaks, polish, fixes, etc pass over the current version.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 04:40:06 AM »

Thank you! And, yeah, for the next update - 0.95.1a, which is basically a huge tweaks, polish, fixes, etc pass over the current version.

Oh! You sure know how to make my day  :)

Looking forward to it!
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Zakaluka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2021, 04:27:50 AM »

Apparently, the single-shot Sabots have a flag that makes fighters think they have an extra 500 range. This is clearly intentional, but I don't remember what it was intended to address.

It might not have been to address anything specific - could the extra 500 range just represent the distance at which the warheads deploy? Seems like that happens at about 500 units of range.

In the case of the sabot since they're so darned slow and fragile - it just makes more practical sense for fighters to deploy them at the last possible moment, perhaps not even related to how much range the missile has. Applying more human logic to this, I get as close as I possibly can before firing them, and I love flying my tempest, very nearly a fighter - and I only fire at more than ~500 range if I'd take too much damage by getting closer.

Don't know if you could do it that way. "hold fire until 500 range, OR, within max range but also taking damage"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2021, 08:18:25 AM »

It might not have been to address anything specific - could the extra 500 range just represent the distance at which the warheads deploy? Seems like that happens at about 500 units of range.

Interesting thought! That's baked into the weapon's range, though, and non-fighters are using them ok range-wise.