Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: How to combat Phase Ships?  (Read 2400 times)

lookatthesky

• Ensign
    • View Profile
How to combat Phase Ships?
« on: March 29, 2021, 04:45:48 PM »

Anyone know how to combat these phase ship suckers effectively?

SPOILERS FOR THE STORY SPOILERS PAST HERE

Spoiler
I'm up to that section where I'm looking for the missing ship from the Tri-Tach black project or whatever and this Tri-Tach guy who won't accept a bribe keeps gangbanging me with like 8 phase ships at once and I can't do crap I only have a deployment limit of 160 so I can't put in all my ships and I get smashed.
[close]

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How to combat Phase Ships?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 05:32:14 PM »

Any consistent pressure and ideally HE/energy dmg type.

Which means

Beams (especially Ion Beams and High intensity lasers)
Fighters
Fast ships

Also omni shields are very nice for protecting against phase ships.

The Doom is also weak to strong PD
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:34:20 PM by Goumindong »

Kpop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 05:56:06 PM »

What Goumindong said. If you know you're fighting mostly phase ships, take the time to swap out everything you can for beam weapons and it's hardly a contest. Fast fighters(like talons) also can pressure phase ships until they can't hide in phase anymore.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 06:34:11 PM »

A mixture of Ion Beams, LRPD Lasers and HILs is what I use; those three weapons will take care of most of your needs.

A HIL Champion is pretty much perfect for counter-phase duty; rig it up with HVDs and good PD, it'll serve admirably as an anchor in fleet engagements.

duendeinexistente

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 06:47:14 PM »

I seem to be in the minority here, but I use rockets. Omni shield, expanded missile racks+the combat missile upgrade give me 1800 rockets per locust swarm, which means I am protected from all sides while producing zero flux and shooting a weapon that can fire in any direction and seek targets, while they're panicking and have to stay in phase shift until they overload or are forced to drop back to normal. I haven't tested this, but I think even with the missile speed upgrade I have about 3-5~ minutes? of continuous rocket fire if I just kept shooting. Their flux fills in 30 to 40 seconds tops. Maybe half that.
And I'm not even using a dedicated missile ship. I should get a couple small ships equiped with only the rocket launcher and expanded racks, it's just too good.

Hatter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 06:55:12 PM »

You can also with a bit of savescumming luck bypass him entirely and just find the probe and get out by transverse jumping in/out.

Dread Pirate Robots

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 07:30:54 PM »

I did it with a phase ship of my own, the Harbinger's system is a pretty good counter against phase ships (it is extremely annoying to fight other Harbinger's however!).

lookatthesky

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 09:43:03 PM »

Any consistent pressure and ideally HE/energy dmg type.

Which means

Beams (especially Ion Beams and High intensity lasers)
Fighters
Fast ships

Also omni shields are very nice for protecting against phase ships.

The Doom is also weak to strong PD

A mixture of Ion Beams, LRPD Lasers and HILs is what I use; those three weapons will take care of most of your needs.

A HIL Champion is pretty much perfect for counter-phase duty; rig it up with HVDs and good PD, it'll serve admirably as an anchor in fleet engagements.

Alright, I'll try your suggestions out. Hopefully I can get past the mission and move on with the story as I've just been leveling up for a while to get some skill benefits to help me.