Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why hide the Contacts?  (Read 864 times)

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Why hide the Contacts?
« on: March 28, 2021, 05:08:30 PM »

Hi Alex,
Lots of players are losing their potential Contacts because the Intel isn't clear. They have 30 days to confirm that Contact and the Intel screen has the details. However, the alert just says 30d to develop the contact. If they do nothing, the Contact goes away.
There's nothing in the Tutorial that orients the player to Contacts but there could. The Officer at Ancyra, the Spy in DMS, the panicked guy at GAS or the Officer at Jangala would be the most obvious.

I know that you can make the Character button flash with level ups. Why not have the Intel tab flash with the Contact alert? For that matter, why doesn't Fleet flash when there are unassigned officers or unleveled officers? Or Command flash when unassigned Administrators?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 05:11:43 PM by IonDragonX »

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Why hide the Contacts?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 01:09:40 AM »

Yes.
"30d to develop the contact" is worded like it's doing something and you have to wait for it to finish before you can use it.

Why not have the Intel tab flash with the Contact alert? For that matter, why doesn't Fleet flash when there are unassigned officers or unleveled officers? Or Command flash when unassigned Administrators?
If you ever go over the character cap or pick up an admin/officer for future use, then these buttons would be flashing all the time. And that would be irritating.

There does need to be something that tells the player "you need to push this contact button if you want to keep it" though.

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 08:08:54 PM »

There's nothing in the Tutorial that orients the player to Contacts but there could. The Officer at Ancyra, the Spy in DMS, the panicked guy at GAS or the Officer at Jangala would be the most obvious.

I don't remember a panicked guy, but if you stop at the Academy during the tutorial, a Hegemony officer promises to buy you a beer on Coatl. If you meet him there, he becomes a contact. So there kinda is a little signpost for the player, but it's optional and tiny and not actually recorded anywhere, you just have to remember what the guy says. So I agree it should be signposted much, much more clearly.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:41:44 PM by Sordid »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 08:57:57 PM »

Haha that guy is my one contact! Has hooked me up with several discount ships, its great.

UlyssesB

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 11:08:46 PM »

Probably all that needs to be added is a help popup when you get a contact for the first time telling you how to develop it and explaining how contacts work. There's popups for nearly every other basic mechanic like refitting ships, running out of supplies, going into hyperspace, etc. so a popup for contacts seems notably missing.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 11:13:11 PM by UlyssesB »