Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 45

Author Topic: [0.6.1a] Interstellar Federation v1.27  (Read 367459 times)

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.53.1a] Interstellar Federation v1.233
« Reply #465 on: December 05, 2012, 05:45:56 PM »

That's... strange. I can reliably fire the Hadron Accelerator from an Auria (since that's the only ship I ever mount it on).

Are you running IFed standalone, or as part of a compilation (e.g. Uomoz)? There might be conflicts with IFed and the latest Starfarer update (though I can't say for sure myself).

-- Griffinhart

"Rrha ki ra tek wim tes yor
en weel waath dius manaf, Yat!
"

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 05, 2012, 09:02:27 PM »

I remember something on the forums about the commas in the .CSV being wacked up, you might want to look into that.
ISF is technically not out for .54

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 06, 2012, 11:23:58 AM »

I still think that something needs to be done about it.  The AI not being able to fire it makes it pretty pointless.

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 06, 2012, 07:47:13 PM »

keptin has stated that the Hadron Accelerator is working as intended; the AI is supposed to suck at using it. The point of the weapon is for the player to use it.

-- Griffinhart

"

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 06, 2012, 07:54:05 PM »

well if you really wanted the make the hadron fire for ai ( it'll be pretty wasteful with it) you can change the .wpn fire with this

"autocharge":true,

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 09, 2012, 12:48:14 PM »

well if you really wanted the make the hadron fire for ai ( it'll be pretty wasteful with it) you can change the .wpn fire with this

But why not make it the default setting?  Why purposely hinder it for the AI?

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 09, 2012, 04:37:24 PM »

But why not make it the default setting?  Why purposely hinder it for the AI?

Try it out and see why
There is a reason why he put the brackets

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 10, 2012, 09:45:02 AM »

But why not make it the default setting?  Why purposely hinder it for the AI?
Because what's going to happen is the AI is going to find a target, trigger the HA to fire, and then nine seconds later, when the AI ship has turned entirely away from its target, the HA will actually fire. Best case scenario, it hits something. Worst case scenario, that something is you.

tl;dr: Starfarer's AI isn't built to deal with long-charge weapons.

-- Griffinhart

"

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 11, 2012, 11:55:22 AM »

Really, the Hadron Accelerator (and the Mass Driver as well, though slightly less so) is overpowered.  Its extremes of power simply don't fit in with Starfarer's mechanics.  It's a guaranteed overload, and if not, it'll still deal a hearty amount of damage that allows you to fire from a safe range, all in a package the AI doesn't know how to deal with.

S'why I refuse to use those weapons.  IFed ships are still fun, but the guns are just Too Good.  Even the autoguns (mostly the light ones) are too efficient compared to other light kinetic solutions; low OP, high flux efficiency, high range, all with a burst fire that makes overloading a little easier.  But at least that has the drawback of little raw dps.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 11, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »

Why not make the charge up lower but make the cool down after firing longer?

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 12, 2012, 03:19:47 AM »

The ships are where most of the balancing effort went; if you really want the IFed experience, use IFed ships with vanilla weapons. Most of the weapons included in the mod are there for end-game gratification like game-breaking "fun" guns/swords you get at the end of some games or after you've beaten them.

As for bug reports and other PM requests, Interstellar Federation development is officially on-hold until Starfarer matures to a point where there's enough content to make modding fun again, e.g., multiple systems, scriptable missions, exploration, etc.  I really love this game and how easy it is to modify (and the tools Alex gives us to assist with that), but there's little to do at the moment beyond adding more ships & weapons and maintaining the mod.

Until then, you'll find me deving for the Kerbal Space Program Kethane Pack.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:33:50 AM by keptin »

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 12, 2012, 08:08:55 AM »

Just to note here, you only need to add a , before the "number" to make this 100% compatible with 0.54a

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 12, 2012, 09:49:32 AM »

The collider should at least work properly.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 12, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »

The ships are where most of the balancing effort went; if you really want the IFed experience, use IFed ships with vanilla weapons. Most of the weapons included in the mod are there for end-game gratification like game-breaking "fun" guns/swords you get at the end of some games or after you've beaten them.

As for bug reports and other PM requests, Interstellar Federation development is officially on-hold until Starfarer matures to a point where there's enough content to make modding fun again, e.g., multiple systems, scriptable missions, exploration, etc.  I really love this game and how easy it is to modify (and the tools Alex gives us to assist with that), but there's little to do at the moment beyond adding more ships & weapons and maintaining the mod.

Until then, you'll find me deving for the Kerbal Space Program Kethane Pack.

Can't say I blame you, keptin.  Truth be told, the mod feels fairly "complete" as it is now.  It's polished, well made, full-featured, has systems, and balanced.  No doubt more work to be done with more features (star systems and such).

Good luck with your other stuff!   :D

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 13, 2012, 12:33:52 AM »

Why not make the charge up lower but make the cool down after firing longer?
Because that's not the same thing as having a long charge up.

A long charge-up in a real-time game like Starfarer demands that the user maintain an open line-of-fire (or predict one) for however long, with all the vulnerabilities associated with that course of action (e.g. you can't maneuver, or maneuver as much, without releasing your charge and having to start over).

Changing it so that there is a lower charge-up means that there is less risk in committing to firing, and that the user can seize more firing opportunities that would have been impractical with a long charge-up; a longer cooldown doesn't really change anything, especially if you're changing it so that the total charge-up/cooldown cycle is the same; now the user has a weapon that can fire more quickly, just as often as before (as opposed to how it is now, where the player can't fire as quickly), which is an overall increase in DPS in practice, if not in theory, if only because the user is more free to use the weapon.

-- Griffinhart

"
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 45