Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 45

Author Topic: [0.6.1a] Interstellar Federation v1.27  (Read 367533 times)

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.53a] Interstellar Federation v1.24
« Reply #435 on: August 23, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »

Though I truly adore weapons that 'reload' like that. The whole sci-fi breach-to-cool-off-power-coils thing. I'm a sucker for that. But I'm not sure if Starfarer can incorporate that. At least, I've never seen anyone try it.

It's actually pretty easy to simulate something like that. Just have the coils have a redness to them that wears off when exposed. If done right, it would look fantastic, I would think. Better yet if it also emits a glow too

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.53.1a] Interstellar Federation v1.233
« Reply #436 on: August 23, 2012, 04:59:38 PM »

well great examples would be shell coming out of the turret/hardpoint on a Gatling or a huge shell from a cannon...

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 23, 2012, 05:39:17 PM »

If you're meaning ejecting the casing, that may not look that good when the ship is turning, since the case will "stick" with the weapon and would just look strange

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 23, 2012, 08:45:03 PM »

Hey guys. I installed the mod a couple days ago an absolutely love it. The ships look awesome. However, i'm having a weird error whenever the game has to load a Wraith or Reaver where it crashes the game

Yep, that's a known issue with 0.53.1a.  On the front page I listed 1.233 as the current stable version and 1.24 an alpha build and I believe you can just delete 1.24, drop in 1.233, and your save file will load fine.  The problem is related to the Wraith and Reaver, either their systems or phase is bugging it out, I just haven't had any time to look at the 0.53.1 patch notes and fix it.  Glad you enjoy the mod!

Still, it wouldn't hurt to add IF to the front of your various IDs.

It takes time.

~animation stuff~

I'm putting animated turrets on hold for now.  After dumping a lot of time into it, I've decided the game isn't designed for it enough to make it look good.  50 frame animation isn't easy...and it's very time consuming.  Got a fantastic new job and my life just became super hectic, so with barely enough time to fix 1.24, it's doubtful I'll be able to start animating stuff.  As soon as I have time to spare, I'll get the Soothslayer in there and 0.53.1 compatibility for the Jardain.  Until then 1.233 is the stable version for 0.53.1 as has all the IFed ships and updates.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:10:56 PM by keptin »

Sweetraveparty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 25, 2012, 07:34:31 PM »

This has got to be my favourite mod right now :D
The sprite style is... *sniff* beautiful!

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 25, 2012, 07:55:14 PM »

Still, it wouldn't hurt to add IF to the front of your various IDs.

It takes time.

Actually, if we're just talking about IDs in ship_data.csv (or in any other .csv), you could load it up as a flat text file (since that's what .csv are) and do a quick regex (or, more sanely, column-select and insert).

Oh, wait, no. The ship ID is the second entry on a row in ship_data.csv... that makes it slightly more difficult. Still, not undoable. I'm pretty sure there's a way to prepend to an entry in most spreadsheet programs. And even if there isn't, copy-paste is your friend.

(Alternatively, pad the ID entry with leading whitespace until they're all lined up, do a column-wise insert to prepend an identifier, and then remove the whitespace.)

Still, as far as .csv files are concerned, it wouldn't take more than five minutes at most. I don't know where else you'd have to alter ship IDs to make them unique/non-conflicting, though.

-- Griffinhart

"Rrha ki ra tek wim tes yor
en weel waath dius manaf, Yat!
"

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 25, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »

Hehe, why prefix when you can suffix? XD but you didn't hear that from me :P

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 25, 2012, 10:37:42 PM »

Because ship IDs aren't all the same length, so it's faster and easier to prefix; you have to go to the end of a given ID to add to the end, while you don't if you're adding to the beginning. Well, unless you read/write in the opposite direction if your writing system (e.g., American English is left-to-right; hence, it'd only be faster to suffix if you read right-to-left [i.e., backwards - not if you just read/wrote regular American English, but right-to-left, because even then it'd still be faster to prefix, since you're still reading/writing right-to-left).

Like, if you have a given list:

Spoiler
[close]

It's faster to prefix, since you start at the left-most character of any given line (in a traditional left-to-right text editor).

ETA2: Actually, now that I think about it, that's not necessarily true. Getting to the end or beginning of a given word is equivalently-fast - it's Home/End/Ctrl-left/Ctrl-right/b/e whether you want to append or prepend from the middle of a given word. Still, it's faster to prefix for a different reason (near the bottom of my post). And most people still read left-to-right (in American English), so you get to the beginning of a word before you get to its end.

Even if I go line-by-line, manually editing in a prefix:

Spoiler
[close]

Whereas if I wanted to suffix, I'd have to go to the end of every line, and that's not always going to be quick, see:

Spoiler
[close]

I've appended "_IF" to "toa", but moving down to the next line, that puts my cursor in the middle of "mercury". Now I have to get to the end of the word if I want to append to "mercury". Sure, I could use the End key (or, since I'm using Vim, I can hit Ctrl-c to exist Insert mode, and then Ctrl-a to append at the end of the line), but if my lines consisted of more than one word, but I was just editing the one word, that would take me to the end of the line - which isn't what I want, if the word I'm editing is in the middle of the line. In that case, you'd do something like Ctrl-right to get to the end of the word, but it's still a suboptimal approach.

Finally, in my example text, if I'm prepending, it's much faster to just do a column-select (Vim: Ctrl-v):

Spoiler
[close]

And insert (Vim: I, followed by Esc twice after you're done inserting):

Spoiler
[close]

So, assuming that I didn't have to type out the original list, prefixing every entry with "IF_" took me seven eight keypresses: Ctrl-v to enter column-select mode, holding down j to go down all the columns (vikeys: hjkl = left, down, up, right in that order), I to enter Insert mode, typing IF_, and then Esc twice. Saving and quitting is another four (:wq, Enter). ETA3: There's actually a faster command (:x) but I prefer :wq because Vimperator (for Firefox) uses a similar command :wqa to save and quit all windows.

Whereas appending would've been something like (navigating to and) marking each position where I want to start appending, and then Inserting once, and then using a plugin to copy my Insert command to every position I marked.

And that's why prefixes are faster than suffixes. (At least, in the context of computer-based text editors).

If you really think about it, it's an interface limitation of most common computers - you're only ever actually interacting with a single point in two-dimensional space, and navigating that space requires a nontrivial amount of effort. Even multi/touch interfaces have this problem, being built on the traditional way of doing personal computing. It's why, for example, multi-touch capable interfaces (e.g. smartphones) still use QWERTY keyboards (in either/both software and hardware) when really, there needs to be a whole new interface paradigm for such a device, for optimal use. It might also be a limitation of the way we, as a culture, have learned to read/write. There's probably some interesting grammatology and/or graphemics thoughts/literature/philosophy on the subject, now that I've traipsed down this line of thought. Might make for interesting reading in a week or so...

ETA: Hah, I miscounted keypresses. Counted "Esc twice" as a single keypress.

-- Griffinhart
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:54:11 PM by Griffinhart »

"

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 26, 2012, 10:07:19 AM »

It's on the list of things to do, but it's not a high priority; ship_list, fleet comp, and station cargo would all have to be changed, and then Uomoz would have to do some editing as well.

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 26, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »

Ship IDs are all lower-case, right? Or are at least differently-cased from ship names?

Because, if so, I'm thinking something like :%s/<ship ID>/<prefix><ship ID>/gI would do it, if ship IDs have different case from ship names. You'd have to run the command each time for each ship ID, in each file that needs to be modified, and vim needs to be able to read/write those files as flat text.

There's probably a way to make it slightly faster with regex (e.g., create a search pattern from a set comprised of all the ship IDs), but honestly, it'd most likely take more time coming up with the regex search pattern than doing it manually. (How's the old joke go? "A programmer has a problem. He tries to use regex to solve it. The programmer now has two problems.")

-- Griffinhart

"

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 27, 2012, 08:37:09 PM »

Yah I was wondering about the shogun as well. It doesn't seem to justify its fleet point cost. When I bought the shogun I really liked it's turret loadout, then I noticed it had less OP points than a frigate from the same faction. I simply could not load it out with anything effective. CERTAINLY could not get all those turret slots filled. The brawler does indeed fill the niche that the shogun fills far more effectively, which is unfortunate because the brawler doesn't really get used. I ended up reloading and buying something else. Not worth the fleet points and crew. It's pretty low cost, but why pay low and max your fleet points out with ineffective ships?

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 27, 2012, 08:52:02 PM »

Yeah, I agree.  The shogun never really had a vision like other ships and became a bit blah.  I'll make some changes come next patch due sometime this decade.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 29, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »

You know, the Shogun was a challenge to refit.  But I have made it work.

Two LMGs up front, an HVD, a heavy mauler, an IR pulse laser and a vulcan cannon.  The sensor drones make this thing a great sniper.

I like it.  But I wouldn't fault you for wanting to re-work it.  It's not much of a command ship, nor is it close to its original interdictor role.  But it's always had personality to me, so I hope you can preserve that.  Not that I want you to keep it in its "Only works with HVD+mauler" state.

Oh.  Another random thing.  I feel Sensor Drones was inappropiate for the Mercury, which I always felt was this big badass guns-ridden gunship, so I figured it'd have a Lightning Gun or something.  The Neutron Gun is kinda fun to use.  Then again, I'm probably biased as sensor drones do little for my rocket variant of the Mercury.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #448 on: August 31, 2012, 09:19:24 AM »

Griffinhart's at it again, extolling the virtues of Vim to the unwashed masses.

Sublime Text would have been:
1. middle-mouse drag
2. type 'IF'

Vim is only useful if you're willing to take the enormous amount of time required to learn it. Sublime Text is actually practical, because it actually makes an effort to leverage existing industry standards, shortcuts, and user expectations.

Just so we're clear; I'm not saying you can't get an enormous amount of work done with it; I'm saying only that the learning curve is unreasonably high, and most users aren't going to bend over backwards to learn how to use it to its full advantage. They're going to feel like they're trying to learn how to fly a helicopter with no previous aviation experience.

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 31, 2012, 02:04:59 PM »

You're right. VIM is worse than
THE VERSION OF THIS POST IS UNREGISTERED. WOULD YOU LIKE TO BUY IT FOR 50 DOLLARS?
NO? OK I'LL REMIND YOU AGAIN IN 3 POSTS.
sublime text, Who the hell needs open source anyway.
(UNREGISTERED FLAME WAR. PLEASE REGISTER)
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 45