Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 45

Author Topic: [0.6.1a] Interstellar Federation v1.27  (Read 365842 times)

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Federation v1.21
« Reply #300 on: June 21, 2012, 07:14:38 PM »

*has a Yukon with 3 Thunderchiefs, 2 Mass Drivers and 4 railguns.*

Maulers? What are those?  :D

Blade Skydancer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 22, 2012, 09:05:08 AM »

As a fan of WWII style battleships, I *love* the Mass Driver. A big, slow heavy cannon with a quick projectile that just crushes things. As such, most of my ships use at least one of them. A Scythe with 2 mass drivers, an HV50, and 2 Vulcans is a very beautiful thing. The one downside is that you have to be a good shot to make those ships work well.

As for the ships I favor, I like the Scythe as a general frigate. It's fast, it hits hard. It's pretty fragile, but for a light frigate that's to be expected. Defiant-class attack ships are a main part of my destroyer fleet, along with Vixens for long-range punch(watching four of them loaded with 3 Pilum LRMs send out huge clouds of missiles is terrifying sometimes.) and Toas for support. For cruisers, I favor the Ares mostly 'cause it can fit a lot of mass drivers on it and be pretty much a WWII-esque capship.

I tried running with the Titan once, the imbalanced weapons makes it a pretty difficult ship to fly. On one hand you have a medium mount pointing one way, and the other, you have four small mounts pointed the other way. Haven't done much with the Aurica yet. I also love the Antares, and wish its big mount wasn't a missile mount(I guess that's why I custom-modded a variant for myself which the two missile mounts got changed to universals...)

At any rate, those are my thoughts.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 22, 2012, 09:22:36 AM »

I try to avoid the Mass Driver simply because I view it as too powerful.  Same with the Hadron.  And the autoguns, in light of the recent change, but those are a much milder case.

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 22, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »

As a fan of WWII style battleships, I *love* the Mass Driver. A big, slow heavy cannon with a quick projectile that just crushes things. As such, most of my ships use at least one of them. A Scythe with 2 mass drivers, an HV50, and 2 Vulcans is a very beautiful thing. The one downside is that you have to be a good shot to make those ships work well.
One of the main reasons I like the Mass Driver is because of that single, hard hitting shot. Combined with that solid thump that it makes when fired, makes for a pretty sweet gun to use.

I try to avoid the Mass Driver simply because I view it as too powerful.  Same with the Hadron.  And the autoguns, in light of the recent change, but those are a much milder case.
Hadron, yeah, it is pretty powerful, but, it's one super heavy round, on one target. Sure, it's fun to take a potshot at a fleeing frigate with it, but it still only fires one slug, and takes a pretty decent amount of time to prepare for another shot. It's pretty awesome for forcing a capital ship to back off and give you some breathing room, because it's almost always an instant overload. Heh, it's kinda funny to me, a frigate's shield can block a Hadron just as well as a capital ship can. In fact, a frigate is better at blocking, because while it overloads after every hit, it can bring it's shields back to life faster than the Hadron can prepare to fire.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 22, 2012, 01:50:01 PM »

not to be mean...but some of the ships looks like a color mess...like....random colors everywhere...looks a bit sloppy..

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 22, 2012, 02:08:20 PM »

Some of your ships look a mess, but I can't remember which ones, so instead, I wave my hands in the general direction of the IF fleet

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 22, 2012, 02:23:57 PM »

Some of your ships look a mess, but I can't remember which ones, so instead, I wave my hands in the general direction of the IF fleet

XD

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 22, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »

not to be mean...but some of the ships looks like a color mess...like....random colors everywhere...looks a bit sloppy..

Get out you monster!

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 22, 2012, 03:10:53 PM »

not to be mean...but

Maybe we need a lesson on the difference between constructive criticism and acting like ***.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 22, 2012, 07:11:05 PM »

no im not trying to be mean...dont know why but everyone has been attacking me lately...ight be the same reason everyone hates me for no reason im just saying that the color look like they were jumbled or not a consistent design...why all the attacking im trying to give you the best advice i can..

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 22, 2012, 07:21:18 PM »

I'm just a tid bit curious, Lopunny your not a native english speaker are you?

If you ask me, there are some slightly questionable kit-bashed pieces that I can see Lopunny noticing for example, the Titan class carriers has bits of the Tarsus on the top left side that sort of don't fit in with the ship color wise.

But in general all the ships have a good and consistent if a bit random scheme.

I try to not be too biased, but Lopunny, your comments could use a bit more thought to them in terms of at least expressing your ideas clearly, but if your not a native english speaker I can see that it may be more difficult.

And guys come, it may not be the most pleasant thing to read his comments, but think of it this way, at least if this is trolling, it's by far not the worse it COULD of been.

TrexTitan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 22, 2012, 08:05:49 PM »

hah, i don't get this guy at all...
The ships are colored in such a fassion you might suspect that from a side view, sections of the ship is colored in one color, rest in another. Say horizontal mid section is teal, upper and lower is gray.
Think the color scheme is great, a ship does not have to be mono-color. It is certainly not random in my eyes, makes my brain think the ship has a design that due to the top down view, is not entirely visible.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 22, 2012, 09:25:09 PM »

There are varying levels of kit-bashed-ness, which is or is not the IF art style.  I won't say the sprites can't be improved, because they certainly can be.  Regardless, being specific in your criticism ultimately helps me target what needs to be fixed.  A general complaint, i.e. "some of your sprites are sloppy", without telling me which sprites and why or how I can fix them isn't helpful--I'm not here to listen to people whine.

First and foremost, this mod is for me, but I enjoy making the mod better for you too. I appreciate everyone's constructive criticism and I love that people are using the mod, but if you're here to just complain, gtfo.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 09:29:41 PM by keptin »

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 22, 2012, 09:48:10 PM »

With that being said, let's get back to the topic.  I'm waiting on Alex to release v0.53 before working on a new IFed release.  I'm really looking forward to ship systems and seeing how much we can tweak them.  The Titan sprite needs some work more than the rest with its floaty weapon mounts.  I haven't heard much about any particular ships in v1.21 needing stat changes, so I assume they're at a good spot.  The weapons are where I want them to be for the most part.  

I wish the game had multiple star systems so I could work on the currently non-existent back end of the mod, such as having smaller outposts in some systems, a larger spaceport in another, a trading dock in another, etc.  I also wish NPC trading, mining, upgradable hulls, weapon/sub-system crafting and scriptable missions w/ payouts existed.  Hopefully, these things and more come in future releases.  Though, I wish they didn't seem so far away given the pace of things--Alex is only one guy after all.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 23, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »

When I want for these thing, I buy more copy of Starfarer.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 45