Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 45

Author Topic: [0.6.1a] Interstellar Federation v1.27  (Read 365794 times)

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Federation v1.21
« Reply #285 on: June 07, 2012, 12:06:59 AM »

Well, attempting to get EVERY update into a compilation is too tall of an order, and not really necessary.
It's enough if only the updates that actually have new features make it into compilation updates.

It's up to Uomoz, but in his case, he has three people a day bugging him to update IFed if it's a version behind.   ;D

I keep a detailed and exact changelog so it's easy to know what needs to be updated, as patches like today's are just a copy and paste ship_data ordeal, with the exception of the Draken (ship_data, wing_data, varient, ship.file).

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 07, 2012, 12:12:30 AM »

By the way, I keep forgetting to ask.  What's a Hypertug?  From the name I assumed the Orion was a freighter, rather than a lightning fast, well armored attack/strike frigate.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 07, 2012, 12:18:51 AM »

Spoiler
Hypertug

+
2 Dram Classes
+
Grey Paint
=

Hypertug
+
Buffalo Class
+
Grey Paint
=

Hypertug
+
Atlas Class
+
Grey Paint
=
[close]

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 07, 2012, 12:42:55 AM »

It just so happens to double as a really good fighting ship, too.  :D

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 07, 2012, 12:54:44 AM »

The Orion is a hyperdrive-equipped towing vessel that connects to various barges via a standard IMEC 10MMT-rated interlock ring.  It's structure is reinforced to withstand years of industrial tugging and trans-spacial shock loads caused by mass imbalances in barge cargo at FTL speeds.  Naturally, as a military industrial tug, it's defensively armed and shielded.  When not towing, its large sublight engines can propel it to high velocities, albeit only for a short time without being connected to auxiliary fuel stores through the interlock ring.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:07:22 AM by keptin »

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 07, 2012, 01:05:29 AM »

epiphanies

O_O  I never saw it before!

Mostly because I never make use of those vessels.  That's awesome, though.

Killian

• Commander
  • I got 99 problems but a core breach ain't one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 13, 2012, 03:37:30 PM »

These are some fine-lookin' ships indeed. I especially like the Albatross, and the angled missile racks on the Vixen and Auria are a nice touch.

Speaking of aesthetics, the strikecraft definitely need some work - the Draken looks rather... like an escape pod with wings and a gun, whilst the outlining on the Hornet is inconsistent compared to the Foxbat and Tracer. The Draken looks more suited to being a primitive light fighter, whilst the Hornet looks more like a fast, agile, and fragile interceptor-type. Perhaps take a look at Freespace 2's fighters for more inspiration there?

More once I've actually had a chance to play around with them, on account of still getting the hang of things/being busy with life/other projects/etc.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 13, 2012, 03:48:40 PM »

I think the Hornet just needs to be bigger.  Maybe a bit beefier, like the Tracer, but I don't think it's so bad.

By the way, I have in fact been playing this, though I've been sidetracked with other stuff.  My lack of recent feedback can be chalked up to the fact that... well... I think everything's pretty much at an ideal stage.

Most further work would be done on polishing sprites and adding in new features (like ship systems) I think.  And new ships.

Oh.  And one thing I've forgotten to mention.  I feel the Autoguns are too good now, especially the light autoguns.  They're efficient, only 5 OP, and have same range as railguns.  While they don't have as much raw damage, they're slightly more efficient and they can be fired nonstop due to low flux.  Also, I feel they were underestimated before the buff as the nature of their burst fire made them incredibly potent.

I used them before the buff.  Now, I have absolutely no reason not to use them.  If the current damage values are maintained I believe the dps:fps ratio should at least be 1:1, if not less.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 13, 2012, 04:38:06 PM »

The Orion is a hyperdrive-equipped towing vessel that connects to various barges via a standard IMEC 10MMT-rated interlock ring...  [-snip-]

It also has the substantial added coolness factor of looking a great deal like the Nostromo spacetug of "Alien" fame. 1979 salutes you.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 13, 2012, 05:40:56 PM »

Aside from the Draken sprite, I'm comfortable with where the mod is at right now and am waiting for the next Starfarer update.

It also has the substantial added coolness factor of looking a great deal like the Nostromo spacetug of "Alien" fame. 1979 salutes you.

Haha, it is the Nostromo!  I'm a big fan of the series and art style.  I'll let you guess which ship is based off the Sulaco.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:44:01 PM by keptin »

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 21, 2012, 02:30:31 PM »

How does one even begin to outfitting some of these ships? Sorta cheating by removing ammo on like, all ballistic weapons, but even so, these ships have some pretty tight fits in terms of spare OP.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 21, 2012, 03:26:43 PM »

How does one even begin to outfitting some of these ships? Sorta cheating by removing ammo on like, all ballistic weapons, but even so, these ships have some pretty tight fits in terms of spare OP.

I have custom loadouts on almost all of my ships.  I tend to use a common combination of heavy maulers and light needlers.  Just about every ship that's cruiser and up makes use of ITU, excepting missile-oriented ships like my Mercury as well as the Antares.

My Dakota uses a light needler on its forward mount, and a small broadside of two light assault guns on the right, with a vulcan cannon on the left.  My Scythe varies, but it's generally an assault chaingun and two light autoguns or two light railguns, with a light machine gun on the forward turret.  My Albatross uses four light autoguns, one light assault gun on the turret and an annihilator rocket launcher, with two vulcan cannons covering its engines (standard for all IF ships).  Another variant I've been using (in light of a severe shortage of light autoguns, which are too good) I use two light dual autocannons and two light assault guns in the hardpoints, with a dual light machine gun in the front.  This one's a little nicer.

My Toa uses two IR pulse lasers, two heavy maulers, four light autoguns, and a vulcan cannon.  Alternatively, two light needlers on the hardpoints and two light machine guns on the forward turrets.

My defiant can use a similar loadout, though I prefer to make use of an assault chaingun+railgun combo instead.  Riptide gives it the killing power it needs to compete with the Toa's 4 light autoguns and 2 pulse lasers.

My Shogun uses a one-two HVD and Mauler punch, with two light machine guns in its front turrets, and a single IR pulse laser in its energy mount for close-in assault potential.

My Vixen varies, but generally carries three Pilums and a heavy autocannon.  You can give it a Pulse Laser if you wanna get ballsy, or even a heavy mauler, so long as it's something that allows it to fend off frigates.

My Montana uses a broadside loadout, making use of two heavy maulers, two light autoguns on the front turrets and two light assault guns on the right.  Its left side has two flak cannons and a single vulcan cannon covering the engines.  You can add more vulcan cannons to the right engine and front turret if you wish to give it more PD.

My Ares uses two heavy maulers and an HVD, with light needlers.  My Yukon uses five heavy maulers and 8 light autoguns (light needlers work too.)  My Antares is a single-sided ship with two HVDs and one mauler, with the standard locktide/riptide combo, and LMGs and vulcans on the right side.

TL;DR IF ships need to be as efficient as possible.  My personal tactics dictate almost every ship must be a self-sustaining assault vessel, so I go for an HE/Kinetic one-two punch.  They also make use of long range weapons where possible, where they can leverage their superior maneuverability.  I always max out vents where I can, which is my default modus operandi with variants, unless it severely lacks flux capacity.

Hope that helped!

P.S. Light autoguns are seriously too good.   ;)

Mayflower

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #297 on: June 21, 2012, 03:40:24 PM »

TL;DR
Maulers, maulers, maulers, and light autoguns to the rest.
Waffles, waffles everywhere! \:O/

Killian

• Commander
  • I got 99 problems but a core breach ain't one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 21, 2012, 03:42:57 PM »

First of all, remember that basically all of your ships have at least some flight deck capacity.

Also, teamwork. For example, a pair of Ares operating together, one fitted with Heavy Maulers and the other fitted with Hypervelocity Drivers - one breaks shields so the other can break armour/hull. Throw in a bunch of interceptors to keep bombers off them and they're quite the combo as long as you stick together.

My present flagship is a Titan with three alternating Cains, two of whatever launcher I feel like using at the time, and every medium/small slot filled with Thunderchiefs/LMGs respectively. At battle start, I turn to bring the starboard side around so the Cains can all hit the same target, drift towards the middle of the battlefield, then methodically chew through enemy shields, armour, then hull, usually from around 2km away. Between all that and my fighter wings (a mix of IFed and TriTach fighter/interceptor wings, with some Neutrino bombers for testing), I can rip through fleets that think I'm an easy target.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 21, 2012, 05:13:53 PM »

TL;DR
Maulers, maulers, maulers, and light autoguns to the rest.

OH MY GOD I FREAKING LOVE MAULERS

You have to mount the maulers.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 45