Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 45

Author Topic: [0.6.1a] Interstellar Federation v1.27  (Read 367720 times)

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Federation v1.2
« Reply #270 on: June 05, 2012, 09:30:42 PM »

I've had a few hours of playtime with 1.2.  I did a quick start with 100,000 credits and picked a carrier/support heavy fleet to start, so I could sample the Montana, the Albatross and the fighter wings.

The Montana is woefully undergunned.  Not by mounts, since that's par for the course, but its OP allowance is ridiculously low.  While needing to be stingy with OP in IF ships is a function of their balance, it felt especially egregious with the Montana.  I don't think I'm the only one who feels awful being forced to leave mounts empty in order to approach an optimal (or efficient) loadout.  It can only bring two medium mounts to bear (this is fine) and works best using the right side as its broadside, leaving the ship with four small ballistic and two medium ballistic mounts.

That's not an awful amount, especially given what the ship is supposed to be.  However, the incredibly low OP leaves no quarter for vents, especially if you take the ever-so-critical Integrated Targetting Unit.  My current loadout is two flak cannons on the left, a Medium Autogun, a Heavy Mauler, two light autoguns, two light assault guns, ITU and a mere 2 vents.  This ship was clearly derived from the Dakota, and to me, the Dakota was a ship that had very few mounts, but was powerful because you could mount nigh whatever you wanted on them with OP to spare, not to mention efficient shields and durability.  The Montana has good shields, but its durability is very lackluster.  And if you start to compare this ship to the Venture, then things get REALLY ugly.  Sorry for not liking it as much as you probably presumed I would, but it feels far too underpowered to be very appreciable :x  Maybe others have had more luck in kitting it out and using it.  Maybe I'm overreacting, but I could see anywhere from a 10-20 OP buff being reasonable.

The Tracer wasn't what I was expecting (or hoping for, I was hoping it wouldn't have been a true bomber, like rockets+autogun or some sort of fighter-bomber), but I found it quite efficacious if not for one small hitch: the torpedoes fire in a Y pattern, spreading out from when they fire.  This generally results in only one torpedo per ship hitting, especially on smaller or slimmer cruisers or destroyers.  Its lack of an auxiliary weapon, even an LMG or something is a little jarring to me, but I can see why you'd do that (earlier mention of IF ships being specialized.)

The Foxbats... I'm not sure how I feel about them.  I don't really understand why they exist aside from the Draken, except I've found them oddly potent.  Maybe it's the LMG as opposed to the vulcan cannon.  A wing sure can chow through those shields.

Hornets make me smile.

I think the implementation of IF fighters (and thus me using them) has made Dakotas survivable by proxy; I have four in my fleet, to good effect.

But enough nitpicking, now I must shower you with praise for the Gift that is the Albatross.  I can't tell you how much I love this thing.  From what it can do to the way it looks (your sexiest ship yet!) it's perfect.  It's balanced, too, because it's made of paper.  But four light autoguns will rip and tear anything.  I'm also pleased you found something to put rockets on :3  (can you tell I like rockets?)

I love the Zephyr, by the way.  I've tested it thoroughly, and it can go toe-to-toe with a frigate and win.  It feels low on the OP side (as do many IF ships as I mentioned earlier) but this is reasonable for a carrier so it's not just a destroyer that can refit ships.

And one last note.  I've found myself starving for hangar decks.  Do you think you'd be remiss in giving some of the other ships a few?  Vanilla ships tend to have at least 3 each.  I could see giving the Dakota 3, the Orion 6, and so on.  At the very least, the Montana could use more.

Sorry for the loadsa text.  I guess I'm a little passionate about your mod.   :D

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 05, 2012, 11:42:24 PM »

I really appreciate the feedback, but hear me out for a moment...

I like my criticism professionally direct; tell me what the problem is and let me fix it.  I understand you're passionate, but keep it in perspective--I busted all this out in two days, I don't think disappointment is justified.  So chill out, kick back and have a mai tai or two...or three while I take some time to review and test all the content that was just created.  I release it raw because awesome folks like you can be my alpha testers, which gives me more time to patch previous content and build more.

Just remember, I'm deving this for fun.  :)

====================

Now lets reply to your feedback!

-I'll look at the Montana.  Note, it can hold a bunch of cargo, has launch bays, is cheap, has a *** load of armor and fantastic shielding.  I drew the line at combat performance--that's what balances it.  Otherwise, it's a lame best-at-everything Superman ship and everyone knows Superman sucks, Batman rules.  I think you're trying to make it something it's not.  Also, ditch ITU, it sucks.

-The Tracer makes big boom on big targets and small boom on small targets.  That's how it rolls; it sounds like it's working as intended.

-The Foxbat exists because I wanted to kill stuff with swarms of angry bees, like Talons, but better.  The Draken will become a completely different kind of fighter.

-Lack of hangar space will soon be addressed.

-Glad you like the Albatross, so do I.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 06, 2012, 01:05:21 PM »

Oh, I think you're under the impression I'm more disappointed or bummed out than I am.  I still love the new stuff, I just had a few irks about it.  Also, don't think I think of my opinion as anything other than that - an opinion.  These are my first impressions, if you will.  :)

I suppose we have an incorrigible disagreement about the ITU, because I find it absolutely indispensable on cruisers unless it's missile-heavy.  Reason being, the jump goes from 20 to 35, which makes it more beneficial, and Range is on the whole an extremely important asset as it allows you to fire from a safer location, and back away more easily.  This is double for a support/utility cruiser like the Montana.

And yes, you might be right that I just want the Montana to be Better, which could go against what you wanted for it.  But it's 13 FP, and it's not that cheap, and it's still considered a combat vessel (something that needs to get into the fray and fight), and the Venture outclasses it so handily.  But remember, that's just how I feel about it.

I won't be disappointed at all if you don't change the Montana, though, especially considering the ridiculous amount of feedback you have acted on.  Just keep up the good work!  :D

Seriyu92

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 06, 2012, 01:12:30 PM »

Been playing around with the Montana in my spare time, loving it so far. The Montana really feels like a workhorse that can fit any role but doesn't really excel anywhere. Kinda feels like Firefly feel when you use just the Montana. My only complaint for the Montana is that the combat speed is kinda low compared to the Antares, which carries double the fuel and cargo but only moves 5 combat speed slower. Other then that though the updates been great, cant wait to see what you do next  ;D

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 06, 2012, 02:16:47 PM »

Serenity was unarmed. :P

Seriyu92

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 06, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »

Close enough  :P

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »

Been playing around with the Montana in my spare time, loving it so far. The Montana really feels like a workhorse that can fit any role but doesn't really excel anywhere. Kinda feels like Firefly feel when you use just the Montana. My only complaint for the Montana is that the combat speed is kinda low compared to the Antares, which carries double the fuel and cargo but only moves 5 combat speed slower. Other then that though the updates been great, cant wait to see what you do next  ;D

The Antares is capital ship class, though.  It also has a different role (dedicated/more modern combat ship).

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Federation v1.21
« Reply #277 on: June 06, 2012, 07:38:59 PM »

InterstellarFederation v1.21 is up!  Patches several ships for balance and hangar space.

Code
InterstellarFederation v1.21
=Ship Changes=
Antares
    -Hangar size increased from 10 to 20

Ares
    -Armor increased from 765 to 875
    -Hangar size increased from 6 to 15
    -Base value decreased from 20000 to 18000

Yukon
    -Hangar size increased from 8 to 15

Montana
    -hitpoints increased from 8000 to 10000
    -Armor increased from 825 to 1350
    -Max Flux increased from 5500 to 6000
    -Flux disp increased from 320 to 325
    -Ordinance increased from 75 to 90
    -Cargo increased from 270 to 400
    -Fuel increased from 220 to 250
    -Shield strength decreased
    -Max crew increased to 300
    -Mass increased

Mercury
    -Base value decreased from 22000 to 20000
Toa
    -Hangar size increased to 5
Shogun
    -Hangar size increased to 5
Tahoe
    -Hangar size increased to 15
Mazerk
    -Hangar size increased to 25
Scythe
    -Flux disp increased from 160 to 165
Dakota
    -Hangar size increased from 0 to 4
    -Base value increased from 5100 to 5200
Hornet
    -Base value reduced from 7500 to 7000
Draken
    -Now a strike fighter with several changes (changed ship_data, wing_data, variant, ship.file)
Foxbat
    -Refit cost increased from 3 to 4
    -Base value increased to 2500
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:09:19 AM by keptin »

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2012, 08:41:22 PM »

Uomoz's Corvus just officially updated to Corvus 15, and already, IFed has updating, leaving it in the dust. Time for DEV16, already?  :D

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2012, 10:58:08 PM »

Uomoz's Corvus just officially updated to Corvus 15, and already, IFed has updating, leaving it in the dust. Time for DEV16, already?  :D

Sounds like it!

Also, wow keptin, you sure took me seriously!  The new Montana looks astounding.  I might have to install the mod standalone just so I can play with it.  I'm eager to see what you did with the Drakens.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 06, 2012, 10:59:40 PM »

You were right, while the venture is quite powerful for its cost and fleetpoints, the Mercury was far below the other cruisers, despite its launch bay.  That's largely corrected.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:33:24 PM by keptin »

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 06, 2012, 11:21:56 PM »

kep! ::)

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 06, 2012, 11:31:09 PM »

Yeah, I realize my rapid-release update scheme isn't really compilation friendly.  No rush!

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 06, 2012, 11:58:58 PM »

Yeah, I realize my rapid-release update scheme isn't really compilation friendly.  No rush!

Well, attempting to get EVERY update into a compilation is too tall of an order, and not really necessary.
It's enough if only the updates that actually have new features make it into compilation updates.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 07, 2012, 12:00:49 AM »

I release DEVs with "small" updates like this.

Like today, when I get back from uni.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 45