Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 45

Author Topic: [0.6.1a] Interstellar Federation v1.27  (Read 367511 times)

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Federation v1.12
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2012, 12:18:54 AM »

Sweet! You're the ultimadev--integrates my patches the day of release.  We should do a Blockade Runner thing once there's more modding support.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2012, 12:24:01 AM »

II want MP in that game. That would be awesome already.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2012, 12:39:10 AM »

Yeah, I think the BR devs should have implemented multiplayer a long time ago.  Even at the 0.28 demo build, the game was good enough that I could have looked past its shortcomings for multiplayer building & battling.  I get all the foundation work, but my continued interest in that game depends on multiplayer.

Rymosrac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2012, 06:40:17 AM »

One could express similar regrets with regards to this game.

Anyways:

Something seems up with Auria class's shields. Their collision radius is noticeable shorter than their visible radius, and I've had a few instances of projectiles seemingly phasing directly through the shields and impacting the hull.

Also, and this may not be your fault, but I've had an unusual amount of VERY small AI fleets, to the order of single fighter squadrons with a single fighter in them, or lone hound-class frigates, attempting to chase down and engage my 1xAuria, 1xMedusa fleet, both of which have elite crew. And winning against me if I auto-resolve. I know both systems are a long way from perfect in the core game, but that struck me as a bit unusual even so.

Update: I've also had projectiles and ship carcasses pass through the edge of the forward struts on the Auria, looks like the hull collision box might be a bit off too.

Another update: Just had another battle where everything was colliding where it should - with the exception of a single blaster pulse fired by a friendly ship passing through one side of my shields, through the hull without impacting, and then impacting on the shields on the far side of the Auria on it's way out. Yay for intermittent problems.  :P
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 06:56:43 AM by Rymosrac »

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2012, 07:16:49 AM »

Yes, I did notice the collision distance thing during testing with the Auria--the bounds are correct, but the center of mass is off.  Most weapon strikes should hit correctly, but asteroids and ships will get all wacky.  I remember the auto-resolve problem as well, but I'll have to dig more deeply to see where the problem lies.  I'm guessing one stat is off, but it seems to be neither ordinance nor fleet cost.  The problems could be one and the same if Starfarer uses ship mass to calculate auto-resolve.

I had to get the patch out the door for the Factions Collection v12, but these will be fixed in v1.13.  Thanks for the feedback!  8)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:28:00 AM by keptin »

DNAz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2012, 03:14:19 AM »

Playing with the Hardon Accelerator is like not masturbating for a week then having a day long wank session....soooooo fustrating but soooooo good.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Federation v1.13
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2012, 05:58:06 AM »

InterstellarFederation v1.13 has been posted!  Small fixes and a few descriptions plus two new weapons, the Cain and the Citadel PD!

Citadel PD; lobs 1600mm fragmentation shells towards its victims:

Cain; shoots destroyers dead at a thousand paces:

Code
InterstellerFederation v1.13

=Ship Changes=

-Auria
    -Center of Mass & Bounds changed
-Defiant
    -Turn accel increased from 55 to 60
-Shogun
    -Speed and handling improved
-Toa
    -Price increased from 9000 to 10000

=Weapon Changes=

-Added Citadel PD System
-Added Cain

-Harpy
    -OP cost decreased from 10 to 8

=File Changes=

-Added description for Citadel PD
-Added description for Cain
-Added description for Thunderchief
-Added description for Mass Driver

Playing with the Hardon Accelerator is like not masturbating for a week then having a day long wank session....soooooo fustrating but soooooo good.

lol, apt comparison and nice freudian slip there
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 07:22:27 AM by keptin »

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Federation v1.132
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2012, 06:42:14 AM »

Two small fixes in the last 20 minutes, InterstellerFederation v1.132 posted.

Code
InterstellarFederation v1.132
=Weapon Changes=

-Fixed problem with Cain ammo

InterstellarFederation v1.131
=Ship Changes=

-Auria
    -auria_Standard varient WS26, mjolnir replaced with cain
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:53:00 AM by keptin »

Rymosrac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Federation v1.13
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2012, 08:32:01 AM »

Cain; shoots destroyers dead at a thousand paces:

The mass driver already does this. Vigorously. Slapped five of them on an Auria, and it just obliterates things. And snipes fighters at max range if they aren't maneuvering. Feels like the mass driver could use an OP cost increase.

Looking forward to playing with the new toys tonight.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2012, 11:12:33 AM »

I think the weapons being absolutely destructive is fair, considering his ships feel like they're made of paper sometimes.

Rymosrac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2012, 12:33:30 PM »

Um. . . No, that doesn't follow logically.

A. You can mount his weapons on other ships. If the weapons are too strong, the weapons are too strong.

B. You could put vanilla balanced weapons on fragile ships, resulting in crappy ships that die quickly with average firepower.

If you want to design glass cannon ships, the way to do it is to make the SHIPS glass cannon by giving them subpar defensive hull statistics, but the hardpoints and OP to support a powerful offensive load. The weapons themselves need to still be balanced, so long as you're allowing players to customize ships. Which, really, is a lot of the appeal of this game.

I think Keptin has done a damn fine job for the most part on this mod as far as balance goes, but a couple things like the mass driver do seem a bit potent, especially when fielded en masse.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2012, 01:10:25 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys, it really helps me focus on what needs to be balanced and playtested. 

As for the Mass Driver, I agree it needs to be nerfed; while its DPM is standard, its damage/shot and range are not.  Weapons generally take a couple patches (2-4 days) to balance well and the Mass Driver, Cain and Citadel have just been introduced.

The ships themselves shouldn't be glass cannons, but their length makes them large targets from the side.  v1.12 should have addressed the "paper armor" problem, but I rely on player feedback to determine how effective my changes were.  8)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2012, 01:20:42 PM »

It's the same problem the Nomad's Pulse Maser have. It's overall DPS and FPS (flux-per-sec) are average but it has three time the range of a similar class weapon xD. I might need to nerf that in Uomoz's Corvus next release (never touched a modder work before, I'm not totally sure about it, maybe I'll just write something to trylobot).

I like how this mod is receiving good feedback, it keeps the quality very high.

Rymosrac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »

Believe me, having the people doing all the work listen to feedback is at LEAST twice as awesome as getting feedback on work that you're doing yourself. And I really, really appreciate the time this whole mod community puts into this game. It's fantastic, especially for something this early in development.

And yeah, DPM/FPM aren't that great as overall indicators of weapon balance. Especially with things like the mass driver that thoroughly break the mold of expected characteristics for a given weapon type. Not only is it's range immense, but it's projectile speed is incredible. And neither are things I'd want to be nerfed too badly, they make it incredibly fun to use. I think the best areas to nerf the mass driver are in OP cost and rate of fire, and possibly upsizing it to a large slot. MAYBE range could be nerfed, but an extremely fast projectile with very low range looks pretty ridiculous. And you don't want to nerf it's speed/range or per-shot damage significantly, because that's the entire appeal of the weapon, and what makes it unique vs. the vanilla weapons.

And that's a hard thing to balance! Keeping weapons both very fun and satisfying to use but also very balanced isn't easy. The hadron accelerator is INCREDIBLY satisfying, and certainly not useless. It's long chargeup time, enourmous hardpoint and OP investment to field it, and the associated amount of babysitting it needs to be used effectively (the AI is still hopeless with it) mean that it also isn't overpowered, despite having incredible burst damage, range, and accuracy/projectile speed. It's a fun weapon to have in the game because everything about it is decisive - the player feels like it's a significant decision to mount one on a ship - feels like it's a significant decision WHERE to mount one on a ship - and feels like it's a significant decision WHEN to fire the damn thing once it's on the field. That's the kind of weapon you want, where it makes the player feel like the decisions he's making with regards to that weapon, and as an extension, the game as a whole, actually make a difference. That's FUN.

Damn, that turned into a ramble. Hmm. Me go make things to pew-pew in space.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:47:44 PM by Rymosrac »

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2012, 02:28:21 PM »

I like how this guy thinks :D
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 45