Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 45

Author Topic: [0.6.1a] Interstellar Federation v1.27  (Read 365787 times)

Piemanlives

• Commander
  • I've Got This, I think...
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] Interstellar Federation v1.27
« Reply #600 on: January 27, 2014, 12:13:04 PM »

Again, the mod author hasn't updated this for the newest version of Starsector, someone else did that but for 0.6.1, and even then it isn't the mod authors fault this doesn't work as well as others considering that Exerelin isn't his mod but someone else's.
This is called me throwing my missile swarm at you, and by swarm I mean massacre, and by missiles... I actually just mean missiles, there's actually not much to it really.

Vinch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 27, 2014, 02:12:21 PM »

Thats strange... isn't fleet generation stuff is in the core of exelerin? I just looked at the .faction in exelerin and the fleet loadout is the same as for other faction.  ???

The fleet generation is tied to the planet type, try to start on a planet instead of a moon, with asteroids belt nearby thats where i had better results.

As it stand now the faction seems weak until you have cruisers and above, you dont have many weapon mounts, noticeable stats and fancy ship system. What Ifed have good is the weapons: mass drivers, hadron, thunderchief.... but even then you have to rely on vanilla weapons (especially for small ballistic).

Well for me the Ifed is playing nice in Exelerin ;)

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 27, 2014, 02:58:13 PM »

Mod factions are difficult to balance and so when you toss several of them into a mod compilation, some are clearly more powerful than others.  Ideally the discrepancies are minor and vary between ship types/tiers and strategy/how a ship is meant to be used, but often it's unbalanced across the board.  It's really tempting while playtesting to bump up the stats to make your creations just a little more powerful than everything else, but if everyone is doing that you can see where the overpowered trend comes from.  As David said in the blog, "If every ship was totally awesome then no ship would be totally awesome. Starsector needs standard “boring” workhorse ships."

I made a spreadsheet balance tool (BalanceSuite 5000) a while back that helped devs balance their factions to vanilla by showing them how a particular ship compared to others of its class and even recommending stats given its price, ordinance, etc.  The idea was that it helped devs take a step back with, "Hey, that's overpowered for this type of ship and here's why, try this stat instead."  I thought it was a pretty useful tool until a major game update broke it.

IFed is due for an overhaul where some rebalancing will take place.  While I want it to play nice with other mods, it will only be officially supported as a standalone mod to use with vanilla.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:08:25 PM by keptin »

Lolpingu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 31, 2014, 05:07:52 AM »

Of course, of course, it just ocurred to me as weird that this faction seems to spread slower than other factions in Exerelin than others, regardless of station placement.
With that being said, I LOVE the sprites. The design and color scheme is spot-on!
Though I'm pretty disappointed I didn't get to see the Cyclotron, that thing looks like a beast.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 31, 2014, 12:19:52 PM »

Yeah, the cyclotron was me testing to see if an animated sprite sequence would work well for weapons.  It sure did!  There's a lot you could do using animation, from visual charge ups to barrel flame/fire effects, even weapon deployment.  It's just super time consuming.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 09, 2014, 07:13:38 AM »

Hi there kep! Bug report: The Piranha launcher is broken right now, I removed it from UsS while waiting for a fix.

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 09, 2014, 07:43:17 AM »

Hi there kep! Bug report: The Piranha launcher is broken right now, I removed it from UsS while waiting for a fix.

(Hot)fix method: Open up 'data\weapons\proj\ifed_piranha_missile.proj' and change the following line (#31):

"projectileSpec":"piranha_warhead",

to

"projectileSpec":"ifed_piranha_warhead",

Limited testing shows that it fixed the error for UzS v1.2, and should apply to IFed v1.27 as well.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 09, 2014, 01:23:43 PM »

@Uomoz & TimeDiver, thanks for the report and fix guys, it really helps!  I'll push the changes soon.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 11, 2014, 07:39:28 AM »

what happened to the Tracer Bomber...is it currently being reworked?

Vinch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 11, 2014, 09:38:54 AM »

Tracers are in the mod, its just that the Interstellarfederation.faction  don't use them in the fleet.

Go to  D:\Starsector\mods\interstellarFederation\data\world\factions and open the Interstellarfederation.faction with notepad.

Here you have the lodaout of different fleet that spawn in the game with the different variants. It also drive what ships and weapons are spawned in the stations AFAIK,  Just add the following line in the "enforcement fleet" (the biggest one):  "ifed_tracer_wing":[1, 4],  and save.

Now tracers bomber wing should spawn in Ifed fleet and station (dunno if its save-compatible).     ;)

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 11, 2014, 10:19:47 AM »

Tracers are in the mod, its just that the Interstellarfederation.faction  don't use them in the fleet.

Go to  D:\Starsector\mods\interstellarFederation\data\world\factions and open the Interstellarfederation.faction with notepad.

Here you have the lodaout of different fleet that spawn in the game with the different variants. It also drive what ships and weapons are spawned in the stations AFAIK,  Just add the following line in the "enforcement fleet" (the biggest one):  "ifed_tracer_wing":[1, 4],  and save.

Now tracers bomber wing should spawn in Ifed fleet and station (dunno if its save-compatible).     ;)

I can confirm that changes like this are save compatible, did a lot of that before to cheat in Exerelin.
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 26, 2014, 09:19:55 AM »

Hi there kep! Using the piranha launcher causes nulls when the warhead touches the enemy ship (so probably a typo or something in the proj files).

Also, when are the new sprites coming? :Q

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 26, 2014, 11:27:20 AM »

Hi there kep! Using the piranha launcher causes nulls when the warhead touches the enemy ship (so probably a typo or something in the proj files).

To follow up on this: for whatever reason, Starsector does not like the 'explosionSpec' set of entries being used in MIRV-spawned projectiles; at least, from the limited testing I've been able to do on the matter.

Simply removing lines #14-24 from 'ifed_piranha_warhead.proj' removes the crash caused by by the Piranha Missile Launcher's 40-odd MIRV-spawned warheads on collision, but also removes the very tiny AOE (5 radius?) damage effect per projectile, an attached flak-type explosion sound effect, and a similarly tiny particle effect visual.

Addendum:

Also, the 'ifed_piranha.wpn' file is missing a '"renderHints":[RENDER_LOADED_MISSILES]' entry, so the actual missile isn't being rendered until it's actually launched, and with no real means of predicting whether said weapon is in the middle of a reloading phase or not.

Bug, or intentional by design?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:35:35 AM by TimeDiver »

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 26, 2014, 12:02:20 PM »

Not to be a *** here, but I think that ifed could use a general redesign and rebalance on all weapons. I could list a lot of "issues" that are making me think about completely removing them from uss.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 26, 2014, 12:39:09 PM »

Not to be a *** here, but I think that ifed could use a general redesign and rebalance on all weapons. I could list a lot of "issues" that are making me think about completely removing them from uss.
But my delicious Hadron Accelerator!  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 45