Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Making money in the new version is too easy  (Read 21187 times)

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Making money in the new version is too easy
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2021, 02:30:25 PM »

I was wondering what you all were talking about...

I always play as trader a nd never have profits.

Then I realized, it is because you are talking about smuggling, not trading.

When trading normally the 30% tax both on purchase and later when selling screws you hard.

Indeed, black market seemly is OP, but not just because it is OP by itself, but because it is too safe.

I always avoid black market because I thought it would be super dangerous, seemly... it isn't.

Jet Black

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2021, 02:43:57 PM »

I was wondering what you all were talking about...

I always play as trader a nd never have profits.

Then I realized, it is because you are talking about smuggling, not trading.

When trading normally the 30% tax both on purchase and later when selling screws you hard.

Indeed, black market seemly is OP, but not just because it is OP by itself, but because it is too safe.

I always avoid black market because I thought it would be super dangerous, seemly... it isn't.

No, it is dangerous lol. You anger the faction you trade with, get scanned constantly and they even mess up your ships now lowering cr.
But in the beginning it is definitely worth it. Specifically to mess with a faction you dislike. But yeah, trade only must have been rough lol.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2021, 03:57:32 PM »

lol people in this thread really hate fun. crime pays in starsector, if you don't want to make money, don't raid and sell only on the open market. ambushes and crackdowns by factions could be interesting though.
also if the credits are freezable I want bank robbery raids!

Crime pays in Starsector because of the bull shite flat 30% tariff (both sides of transaction) intended to nerf trading in lieu of bashing ships together.  But now since bounty payout scaling seems a bit... weird, (possibly due to a need for more balancing with the contacts system as it relates to rep), trading smuggling has gone from being a viable route to THE ONLY viable route (since exploring kinda even more of a crapshoot now).  Just like OP, I've been doing the Tri-Tach's drugs to where ever is most profitable route and to say it works is an understatement.  I've made as much money in about a year in 0.95 as it took me 10 in-game years in 0.91... which mostly does seem to be a result of excessive demand for los drogas.  I'm assuming some of that excess demand will be balanced in the next balance patch

As for solutions, well, that has resulted in some interesting suggestions.  Adding some scaling "tariff" for black markets (bribes) would prolly help, as well as balancing for demand.  Adding some penalty events for dropping too much black market smuggling goods in a single port also cool instead of a later random rep drop (searched/arrested in normal ports, robbed by pirates in pirate ports, donations to ludd pathers).  This would also add a legit use for certain contacts to either tip you off or mitigate effects (would require SP and/or cashy money).  Even better, make it so that Walter White can't move large quantities of drugs without selling through contacts (ie, criminal contacts have option to accept crazy large drug quantities for different price than market, but no bad event consequences.  Will get over-market price on regular ports, less on pirate ports).

BUT MOSTLY JUST MAKE TARIFFS PARTIALLY SCALE BASED ON REP.  Which has been endlessly suggested.  Maybe also require a local contact in governing faction to allow for tariff reduction.  And prolly fiddle with bounty scaling.
I wasn't always a Judge...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2021, 04:11:36 PM »

So if while your doing the boring trips back and forth, there are police or pirates trying to catch you, its much more interesting/fun wouldn't you say so?
If player is hostile to the faction he is stealing from (say, pirates), they already attack on sight... or run because your fleet is too big.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2021, 04:39:57 PM »

So if while your doing the boring trips back and forth, there are police or pirates trying to catch you, its much more interesting/fun wouldn't you say so?
No. That would just turn the game into an extended version of the main quest without any of the redeeming features - all of the random doomfleets trying to catch up to and murder you every second step you take, none of the story or characters to make it interesting. Again, if black market trading makes too much money either remove it outright or tax it like the open market. No complicated mechanics, no mandatory grinding to reach a point where you're able to finally start doing something, just one fountain of easy money neatly plugged. If I wanted combat and nothing but combat I wouldn't be playing the campaign, I'd be playing the missions.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2021, 08:54:25 PM »

Or maybe just buff existing mechanics such as bounties and pickets?
Pages: 1 2 [3]